What Rule Is Most Important To You?

roe2ship

WHAT RULE IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT RULE IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU?

• Dress Code
    • Designated Smoking Areas
    • No reserving lounge chairs
    • No minors allowed (i.e hot tubs, adult pools, etc)

If the cruise lines ever decided to enforce one of their basic rules / guidelines, which ONE would you care to see enforced the most “completely” (no and, no if and no but)

Dress Code

Designated Smoking Areas

No reserving lounge chairs

No minors allowed (i.e hot tubs, adult pools, etc)

My vote is toss the chair hogs in the brig or feed the sharks. :D For me, this is a nuisance searching for a place to sit everyday.

Ziggy - you stole my poll.............you owe me a drink on our cruise!! LOL
hahaha Roe2ship, I did steal your poll but I didnt know you were going to start one here too soooooooooo sorry, but it was a nice one, I just added my own touch :) Ok Ok, one drink on me :)

So everyone understands, I met Roe2ship on the princess boards, we will be shipmates on our Caribbean Princess cruise :)

pssssstttt ... Roe2ship are you checking up on me lol :)

I'd have to give my vote to smoking, too. Yes, I smoked for almost 25 years so I can have an opinion. Last year on the Zuiderdam my wife and I couldn't even sit on our Veranda because of the smoking from our neighbors. First thing he did was buy a box of cigars and proceed to go through them in 2 days. While in Tortola he hooked up with a couple of boxes of Cuban cigars and when he found out he couldn't bring them back he had 3 days to smoke something like 40 cigars. He had 3 & 4 people out on his Veranda at a time lighting up. Yes, he was in a non-smoking room and when the staff informed him of it he said he wasn't smoking in the room! Eventually the smoke permeated the entire area for about a 100 foot diameter. Yea, smoking is my hard spot.

As for the dress, well sometimes my wife and I go all out but other times I just want to take a relaxing vacation and stay casual. I have no problem eating at the Lido on formal nights and I should be allowed to do so without a whole lot of criticism.

I'd have to give my vote to smoking, too.......Yes, he was in a non-smoking room and when the staff informed him of it he said he wasn't smoking in the room! .....

HAL does NOT even have any non-smoking cabins, so I don't understand the complaint that the man was breaking a rule or that the staff informed him he was in a non-smoking room.

I, too, am a former smoker and have cruised as a smoker and a non-smoker. I have not seen any smoking in non-smoking areas at all. I think the problem is that many people voting for this choice really want NO SMOKING on the ship and are making complaints about smoking pax that rarely if ever exist, such as the above post. How can there be a complaint that someone was smoking in a non-smoking room (or I guess on a non-smoking verandah) when no such thing even exists on HAL? :confused:

Well, last year on the Zuiderdam they had that little international symbol with a smoking cigarette and there was a red slash through it stuck to our stateroom door. If that doesn't mean non-smoking I don't know what does?

That is really interesting. I've never seen that on any HAL cabin door (or on doors of any other cruiseline on which we have traveled.)

Was that International No Smoking Sign on alot of doors? Only yours? Any idea of it there were no smoking signs on other decks or just yours? What deck were you on?

Sorry for all the questions but we have cruised Zuiderdam five times and have never seen anything like that. Nor have we seen it on any of the ships we've cruised in the last year and a half (Rotterdam, Maasdam, Zuiderdam and Veendam.)

Anyone else here seen those signs?

I have never seen any of those signs either.

The only no smoking signs I have seen are those related to oxygen being used in a cabin and they do mention the oxygen.

I have never seen any of those signs either.

The only no smoking signs I have seen are those related to oxygen being used in a cabin and they do mention the oxygen.

Me either - when oxygen is being used in the cabin there is the international symbol for no smoking and a large sign stating oxygen is being used.

Could that symbol have been left over from the previous cruiser, and the cabin steward forgot to remove it?

Me either - when oxygen is being used in the cabin there is the international symbol for no smoking and a large sign stating oxygen is being used.

Could that symbol have been left over from the previous cruiser, and the cabin steward forgot to remove it?

Sounds like a good explaination to me !

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esme

Sounds like a good explaination to me ! [/Quote]

Unless there had been oxygen in use, why would there have been a No Smoking sign put on the door by the steward or by any crew person......if it did not also include the "Oxygen in Use' Noice."

I'm wondering if the previous pax brought their own sign with them and on their own declared their cabin a no-smoking zone and the steward/chief housekeep allowed it to remain on the door while those pax were occupying the cabin. They then failed to remove it when they left???

It simply makes no sense that one cabin out of thousands on all of the ships would have that sign and no one else has seen another.

I DO NOT DOUBT IT WAS ON THE DOOR.....I am only puzzled as to how it got there and why.

If HAL had non-smoking/smoking cabins then everyone would have to be asked which one they wanted when they made their booking and the deck plans would have to show the designations. We know those things don't happen, so I am voting that the previous occupant put the symbol on their door and it was not taken down.

ROTHBURY: Had you been asked if you wanted a non-smoking cabin when you booked?

Good question. I'm interested in the answer.

I am not implying I think that HAL (or any cruiseline) should have smoking/non-smoking cabins.

We are non-smokers and hope that when we arrive at our cabin we are not hit in the face with stale smoke. It has never happened. If it ever does, I'm certain housekeeping will take care of it.

hahaha Roe2ship, I did steal your poll but I didnt know you were going to start one here too soooooooooo sorry, but it was a nice one, I just added my own touch :) Ok Ok, one drink on me :)

So everyone understands, I met Roe2ship on the princess boards, we will be shipmates on our Caribbean Princess cruise :)

pssssstttt ... Roe2ship are you checking up on me lol :)

Ziggy, you know I'm just kidding.:) I thought about this the day after about seeing what passengers thought on each specific line, so went ahead and started a poll here too. But your addition on the choices is the best! Wish it was that easy, though, LOL

When I booked I was asked if I wanted "No Smoking". As a matter of fact I just pulled my confirmation from HAL last year and it is noted on the confirmation that we wanted a "No Smoking" room. I noted several "signs" on doors when we walked down the hallway. I was on deck 5, 5069. The two things I recall was no stale smoke odor and there was no ashtray in the room. I've gotten kind of used to using the ashtray for change and there wasn't one in the room.

I'm not trying to stir up a controversy or anything I just figured it was a "normal" occurence on HAL. That was our first HAL cruise in quite a few years so I didn't think much of it. I work around smokers and cigarette smoke doesn't bother me so much but the constant cigar smoke was not enjoyable at all.

I think it very possible the "Non- Smoking" on your confirmation is in reference to dining. There is no smoking allowed in the dining room and all confirmations come marked "Non -Smoking" .....

I truly am puzzled about this business of a sign on your door and now you mention other cabins as well.

I would definitely have noticed such a thing if it was on any cabin door on any ship, ever. As I stated, I have been on five Zuiderdam cruises and never saw such a thing on that ship or any other HAL ship.

Once again, I am not saying the sign wasn't there but I am saying it strange no one else has responded they, also, had ever seen one. also know for sure that in well over 40 cruises on HAL, we were never asked if we wanted a smoking or non-smoking cabin. In the old days, they would inquire if we wanted smoking or non in the dining room. But, of course, it is now all non-smoking.

Perhaps tomorrow someone will see this thread and be able to assist in an explanation.

Is it possible that there are a few cabins designated "non-smoking" that are only availible if they are requested? More and more people are unable to tolerate smoke of any kind. I don't mean people who WILL NOT accept it, I mean people who CANNOT tolerate it due to allergies, health reasons, etc. My DH and I smoke, but we have friends who are allergic and can smell smoke a mile away, even if they are in a room where the sheets, curtains and carpet have been cleaned. A lot of US hotels have rooms that are very strictly non-smoking because of this issue.

Now, saying this, I realize that "Mr. Cigar" should not have wound up in a room for non-smokers. However, there are a few scenarios that would explain it:

* The cabin was designated non-smoking, and they booked the cigar smokers in there by mistake. The issue was caught when someone complained.

*The sign was mistakenly left up due to previous cruisers, as noted before.

* The room IS considered non-smoking, however the balcony is not considered the room, and therefore smoking is allowed out there (I have seen this happen in non-smoking hotel and B&B rooms before)

These are only suggestions, I am also very curious to hear more information.

Take care,

Emmie

Since there is no designation on deck plans that a cabin is non-smoking there would be nothing to prevent a smoker booking it, even online w/out speaking to a TA or HAL agent, and then getting there and finding out. I would raise holy he!! if I smoked and got on a ship and found out I was in a non-smoking cabin. HAL would have a nightmare on their hands if they did this and no one has ever heard of it happening before.

NO WHERE on the HAL website or in any brochure does HAL say a word about smoking/non-smoking cabins and no one has ever reported it before. The 'non-smoking' on the docs refers to dining, though now it is all non-smoking anyway. No one else has ever reported being asked smoking/non-smoking when booking a cabin on HAL. On other cruiselines- yes; not on HAL.

My opinion is some pax brought the non smoking sticker(s) on board and stuck them on their doors.

As it says in the "know before you go" booklet, "Our ships do not have 'nonsmoking' staterooms; however, all rooms are thoroughly cleaned after each cruise to assure the comfort of our guests. All showrooms are nonsmoking during performances. "

If someone is using oxygen equipment, in a cabin, though, a "no smoking, oxygen in use" sign will be posted on the stateroom door.

Archived