Shy Solo Cruiser

ali_cat

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of going on my first solo cruise next year. I've been on a couple cruises before but those were with family, so I spent a lot of time with them and any alone time I got was spent actually doing things alone since that was time for me to unwind without relatives around. Times are a'changin for us and the next trip probably won't involve the relatives. I really want to go on another cruise next year but I am genuinely nervous about doing it all alone. I can be rather shy and feel rather awkward. I remember the first cruise I went on, I was putzing around after my relatives had gone to bed and kept pacing in front of the club where everyone was dancing and couldn't bring myself to go inside. lol I'm sure the guard that was standing there thought I was insane or something.

Anyway, any tips for someone like me? I'm leaning toward the Oasis or the Allure because I really want to go on one of the bigger ships but I think I'm the only one in the family that does (eh, I'm the black sheep, lol).

I totally get it. There's something about certain settings that make going in alone difficult.

So, let me give you my one piece of advice as a solo cruiser - and I've only been on one solo cruise but have another planned and will do others as life circumstances have changed for me.

Anyway....

After you have decided which cruise you want to take and booked it, join the Roll Call. And, if no one has started a Roll Call, start it yourself.

Some Roll Calls start months and months in advance, and if you actively participate, by the time you sail you'll have friends you can meet in person - at the ship-sponsored party, perhaps as part of a private excursion, etc. You can even arrange to be table mates and certainly once onboard can plan times to meet in one of the clubs.

But, you also have your cabin all to yourself and are able to plan your alone time on deck with no responsibilities to anyone else.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of going on my first solo cruise next year. I've been on a couple cruises before but those were with family, so I spent a lot of time with them and any alone time I got was spent actually doing things alone since that was time for me to unwind without relatives around. Times are a'changin for us and the next trip probably won't involve the relatives. I really want to go on another cruise next year but I am genuinely nervous about doing it all alone. I can be rather shy and feel rather awkward. I remember the first cruise I went on, I was putzing around after my relatives had gone to bed and kept pacing in front of the club where everyone was dancing and couldn't bring myself to go inside. lol I'm sure the guard that was standing there thought I was insane or something.

Anyway, any tips for someone like me? I'm leaning toward the Oasis or the Allure because I really want to go on one of the bigger ships but I think I'm the only one in the family that does (eh, I'm the black sheep, lol).

This is only my opinion, but speaking as someone who is also not particularly outgoing, I think I would really feel "lost at sea" (pun intended) sailing solo on a ship of that size. Others' thoughts may differ, but speaking for myself I'd probably feel really anonymous and at loose ends on a ship that massive where you'd be lucky if you ever ran into someone again that you'd met previously.

Now if you don't mind spending the whole time alone and possibly not connecting with anyone, then I'd say go for it, but otherwise, if it were me I would probably choose a somewhat smaller ship (not tiny, but not massive) for my first solo cruise.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and again, this is just my point of view, but since you specifically mentioned that you were shy, I thought I would offer my perspective.

Time for a guys point of view... If you want to have fun (and what's better than a cruise) Just do it! You don't have to go to the clubs if you are not into that. My first solo cruise was an Oldies (music) cruise, as soon as I got on board, I hit the Hot Tub... Was greeted by a group of wonderful people for New Jersey, We all sat around the water and sang Do-Wop tunes, laughed and drank and sang some more... There will always be someone on board to help you take the edge off and feel at home... Remember Cruising is the best Vacation on earth and the people on board are mostly good people. Have a GREAT TIME, relax and have a drink for me... C.G.:D

Time for a guys point of view... If you want to have fun (and what's better than a cruise) Just do it! You don't have to go to the clubs if you are not into that. My first solo cruise was an Oldies (music) cruise, as soon as I got on board, I hit the Hot Tub... Was greeted by a group of wonderful people for New Jersey, We all sat around the water and sang Do-Wop tunes, laughed and drank and sang some more... There will always be someone on board to help you take the edge off and feel at home... Remember Cruising is the best Vacation on earth and the people on board are mostly good people. Have a GREAT TIME, relax and have a drink for me... C.G.:D

Your advice can come from the female point of view as well. I'm not much into clubs but enjoy sitting in the bar and am actually comfortable doing that alone - well, especially during the day.

And, yes, cruising is about relaxing and having a great time whatever one's interest.

As a veteran of many solo cruises, I totally agree with elycelynne. Those behemoth ships like Oasis, Allure or Epic is not the best idea for a solo who's not outgoing. You really need to stick with a smaller ship, something less than 3000 passengers. It's so much easier for a solo to meet people when you're not just one tiny face in a crowd of nearly 6000 people. I would recommend the Radiance Class of RCI, or any ship from Celebrity.

i also say go for it!!

i'm going on my first solo cruise on norwegian epic in march. i'm super excited! personally, i'd prefer a larger ship where there would be tons of things to do. but, i'm not in any way considered shy though. i decided to travel solo because i got tired of waiting on friends to commit...they always had an excuse...no one to babysit kids, no money, 7 days too long...same old excuses. i think u should do it!

you are your own best vacation buddy! :)

i also say go for it!!

i'm going on my first solo cruise on norwegian epic in march. i'm super excited! personally, i'd prefer a larger ship where there would be tons of things to do. but, i'm not in any way considered shy though. i decided to travel solo because i got tired of waiting on friends to commit...they always had an excuse...no one to babysit kids, no money, 7 days too long...same old excuses. i think u should do it!

you are your own best vacation buddy! :)

I feel the same way, cutieRN. If I had to wait on friends and family, I would have never gone on a cruise.

To the OP, I share your concerns (more or less). I'm a single male who is about to go on his first cruise as a solo, and I'm quite the introvert. The most uncomfortable situation I can think of in a cruise for me is going to formal nights as a solo. Reading through a lot of threads here, however, has assured me that I'll have lots of fun and meet lots of interesting people. I plan to be out and about the ship and perhaps take a few excursions to make the most out of my cruise.

I hope all goes well and you enjoy your cruise. I plan on enjoying mine. After all, I paid for it. :D

Thanks for all your responses!

I didn't think about the Roll Calls. I didn't really participate in them the last couple times because we were going on family trips, so I knew where all my time was going anyway :rolleyes:. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will also look into the smaller ships, and right now the whole trip is kind of a "what if" thing for me anyway, but I'd really like to try the larger ships. After next fall, I might not get another shot at them for a really long time (not for what they cost, sheesh....) and if the family goes, I tend to get outvoted. I looked at what is posted for next year for the Radiance class but the time of year I'm wanting to go isn't up yet, and going off what is posted I could only do the Jewel or the Serenade due to work constraints. As much as I'd like to be on a boat for 2 weeks, that isn't going to happen. lol I'll keep checking though. I think it boils down to the kind of after hours stuff. The last cruise, when I was able to get away from the relatives, I hopped in on a game or two and spent one morning chatting with people in the pool in the Solarium. I just feel more awkward at the more free activity kind of stuff (dancing, sitting at the pool or bar...etc). The stuff where everyone is chatting with the friends that came with them. I would feel awkward as all hell going to one of the paid dining places alone, or at dinner at a table of people I don't know, especially if they are there together. I love to dance, but if its not the Cha Cha Slide or something where everyone is doing the same thing, I feel weird. I think that's more of it. As long as there are things to do, I'd be fine alone. I mean, it'd be nice to make new friends but I never have much success at that anyway. heh.

Best of luck, if you decide to book a cruise on your own! Enjoy!

This spring I will be going on a cruise with some family (my first cruise). But for a long time I have been thinking of travelling on my own....so I am considering another cruise/tour on my own this summer. I am nervous at the thought, since I have never travelled alone before (I am in my late 20's). And I also don't like flying (even though I have been on an airplane many times before!)

But I want to do as much travelling as I can while I am young, have the desire and energy to discover new places, and have some money saved up. Life is short, and you never know what tomorrow will bring. Sometimes you just have to take the chance!

I love my family and friends...that being said, I love solo cruising. It is the best way that I have found to really unwind, relax and re-examine everything that has happened to me up to that point. I get to laugh, joke, and experience people from all walks of life. I get to step out of my comfort zone. Your solo cruise is the first step to an even greater adventure. Soak up every minute, enjoy the quiet, the loud, the joy of being alive. I am taking my 5th solo cruise this fall and really look forward to the entire trip. I will be driving to Jaxport and spending time with friends. This will be completely new experience for me. So just do it...get out there...make those new memories:D

Just returned from the Epic as a solo with a studio. Loved it as did all the others! Many were shy. We met every evening from 5:30-6:30 for half price drinks in the studio lounge--a great place. Typically, groups of ten went to dinner together, and some made plans for the next day. Two signed up for BTB cruises while there. One got an upgrade to an inside andrefused it because she loved her studio and the lounge, but when they offered a balcony room with a full tub, she took it. Just make sure you ask for a hair dryer and make sure you go to the speciality restaurants. Le Bistro well worth #20. Enjoy!! Look for ride shares with cabs. Great ports.

I am going on my first solo cruise in 4 weeks on the Allure. I tend to be outgoing, but I am a little nervous. I have been participating on the roll call and feel like I will already know people once I get there which will help. There are also some of us meeting for dinner the night before we sail.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time, so I am just going to jump in and do it. Reading all the different posts on this site has been a tremendous source of encouragement for me as well.

I hope you decide to try it and if so I hope you have a great time.

My 2nd cruise was a solo to Alaska and I had a blast. Be sure and ask to be seated at a large table with other solos. I found that Carnival is really good about that, didnt' have that with RCCL, NCL is all freestyle. Those are the ships I have done solo cruises on. Princess, well lets just say they are definetly the loveboat ships! Of course this is just my opinion!

I am not in your age group, but there are always lots of single friends sailing who are looking for new friends. If you are in the hot tub, just talk to who ever gets in...I talked to everyone and met some really nice people. Some were in your age group and they would invite me to join them too...The roll calls are a great way to get a head start on meeting people. Also if you are on a ship like the Epic, they have a great solo lounge with nightly get togethers for all solos onboard. (I am doing the 11night TA cruise on the Epic as a solo in a studio!). :D

I went on a solo trip to Alaska for my 32nd birthday. I was voted shyest my senior year in high school, so I definately know how that feels. The only place I met people were on the excursions. I went on at least one, sometimes 2 excursions a day. Then I would run into these people on the ship and it was nice. Or they would invite me to dinner.

I agree with another poster about maybe picking a smaller ship. If I were on a mega ship, I may have never run into these people again.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get to the dining room before the others at your table. Sitting alone at a big table isn't fun.

Talk to lots of people, go to events.

Have a blast.

The Allure is so big it would take a person a month before they went everywhere on the ship.

I love this thread! I am definitely an introvert who used to be painfully shy. Choosing to take my very first cruise alone was a big step for me. I chose a 4-day cruise on Carnival Sensation because of the price and I figured I could handle being lonely for 4 days. But it never happened! I was only alone when I wanted to be.

I was the youngest person assigned to my dinner table, but all of my dinner companions were warm and friendly. Two of my dinner companions (best friends about my mother's age) adopted me for the cruise, so we sat together at shows and explored the ports together.

I'm not a night owl, but I did find time to hang out at the piano bar and watch fellow passengers sing Karoake late into the night. It was a wonderful experience!

ali cat - You'll have a great time! Just smile at people and the next thing you know you'll be chatting away like old friends.

I returned from my 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise last Saturday. As I have posted previously, this was my very first cruise. I was a bit uncertain of how my interactions with other people would be during the cruise because I do not usually initiate conversations, though I maintained a positive attitude with the faith that this cruise will be a very enjoyable experience. Indeed, my faith has been rewarded and I met lots of interesting people in the cruise. Although I maintained a certain level of independence as a solo traveller, I was never truly alone unless I wanted to be. Folks like my fellow CC members from the bow wave, my dinner companions, fellow passengers I've met on ship and on excursions, and the ship's crew made my cruise a very memorable experience. The pub crawl on St. Patrick's Day was loads of fun too. :D

Though I ended my cruise with a heavy heart, I am looking forward to renewing the experience this October. What did I do to contribute to this wonderful experience? Keep in mind that others in the cruise may be a bit shy, especially on the first day as many people on board may have never previously met. However, most (if not all) board the ship with expectations of relaxation, enjoyment, and the creation of wonderful memories. As mentioned in the previous post, smiling at other people worked. Also, a simple greeting of "hello" helped tremendously in breaking the ice. Sometimes, you might have to be the one who starts the conversations. That formula has set the tone for the rest of the cruise and it was smooth sailing since.

If you got this far into the post, I do apologize for the length of the content. However, I had a wonderful experience that I thought was worth sharing and I hope this will help other cruisers who may consider solo travel. :)

I returned from my 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise last Saturday. As I have posted previously, this was my very first cruise. I was a bit uncertain of how my interactions with other people would be during the cruise because I do not usually initiate conversations, though I maintained a positive attitude with the faith that this cruise will be a very enjoyable experience. Indeed, my faith has been rewarded and I met lots of interesting people in the cruise. Although I maintained a certain level of independence as a solo traveller, I was never truly alone unless I wanted to be. Folks like my fellow CC members from the bow wave, my dinner companions, fellow passengers I've met on ship and on excursions, and the ship's crew made my cruise a very memorable experience. The pub crawl on St. Patrick's Day was loads of fun too. :D

Though I ended my cruise with a heavy heart, I am looking forward to renewing the experience this October. What did I do to contribute to this wonderful experience? Keep in mind that others in the cruise may be a bit shy, especially on the first day as many people on board may have never previously met. However, most (if not all) board the ship with expectations of relaxation, enjoyment, and the creation of wonderful memories. As mentioned in the previous post, smiling at other people worked. Also, a simple greeting of "hello" helped tremendously in breaking the ice. Sometimes, you might have to be the one who starts the conversations. That formula has set the tone for the rest of the cruise and it was smooth sailing since.

If you got this far into the post, I do apologize for the length of the content. However, I had a wonderful experience that I thought was worth sharing and I hope this will help other cruisers who may consider solo travel. :)

Congratulations! I gained a lot of self-confidence from my first solo adventure. Best wishes for more happy travels on your next cruise.

Congratulations! I gained a lot of self-confidence from my first solo adventure. Best wishes for more happy travels on your next cruise.

Thanks! I told one of my table companions that as a natural introvert, I had to step out of my comfort zone. I found it ironic that by stepping out of my comfort zone, I became more comfortable with those around me.

My best wishes to you as well on your future travels. :)

I order you to join us on the Epic on June 26th for the West Med! :p

I would like to comply with this order. Let me see what I can do about my class schedule... :D

Epic on the West Med has got to be one heck of a first cruise! My cruise was all about attitude, with the attitude that I will have a great time, and I ended up having a really great time. No stress and all smiles. I'm sure you will have an excellent time. Also a word of warning from one solo first time cruiser to another; the cruising bug will bite and it will bite hard. Symptoms of varying degrees will be felt. One of mine was missing the morning ritual of having an omelet and two cups of coffee at the Lido with the sea and horizon in view (I even saw dolphins playing around one morning). There are many others. The only known cure is to go on another cruise. ;)

the cruising bug will bite and it will bite hard. Symptoms of varying degrees will be felt. One of mine was missing the morning ritual of having an omelet and two cups of coffee at the Lido with the sea and horizon in view (I even saw dolphins playing around one morning). There are many others. The only known cure is to go on another cruise. ;)

Sounds great to me... That is one bug that I don't mind biting me! :p

Archived