Saigon Private Driver/Guide

Dagny

I'll be in Saigon for a few days and want to hire a private English-speaking driver/guide. I'm hearing good things about Zoom around the boards. Does he have a website? If you've done a private tour with him, could you give me an idea of the cost? Anything else?

Cheers,

I'll be in Saigon for a few days and want to hire a private English-speaking driver/guide. I'm hearing good things about Zoom around the boards. Does he have a website? If you've done a private tour with him, could you give me an idea of the cost? Anything else?

Cheers,

We were with Zoom for 2 days in january. There were six of us for 1 day in Saigon and 4 of us for a trip to the Mekong river. He is very very good. Knowkedgable and proud to show you his city.

Cost for 2 days including van and driver, the boat on the river , lunch each day and admissions was $140 per person. That of course would be more with only 2 people. We were happy to give him and the driver a little extra. The driver was something to behold- thousands of scooters driving wildly here and there and he never once lost his cool or even honked his horn. If you contact him ,he will give you an itinerary and the cost

Tri Dung Nguyen [dungzoom@gmail.com]

We were in Saigon in early February and spent the day touring with Zoom. He is a wonderful guide and we thoroughly enjoyed our time with him. I recommend him highly. We were fortunate to be there on New Year's and it was wonderful. We saw a lot of the beautiful celebrations and the gorgeous flowers in the city. Zoom has since sent us a wonderful CD of the pictures he took of us and the sites on that day. He is very knowledgeable about Vietnam and shows a great love of his country and city.

His website is http://www.saigontouring.com and his email is dungzoom@gmail.com

We just returned from our SE Asia cruise on Azamara's Quest. In Vietnam, we booked 3 days of fantastic tours with Ha of Vietland Discovery. In Saigon, Hahn was our guide for 2 days. She was fantastic! Some of the sites visited were the War Museum, Reunification Palace, Post Office, Emperor Jade Pagoda, and the water puppets show. On the second day we drove to the Mekong Delta and took a small boat across the river to the smaller islands to taste the local fruits, see the crafts, and listen to the locals performing.

In Danang, our guide was Juan. We went to Hoian and the My Son ruins. Had another fantastic day there.

We were extremely happy with the service provided by Ha and the quality of the guides and drivers. The price was great. If we go back, we would definitely book tours with Ha again.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

In this "smokeless industry" the principle of first come, first served is highly respected. By this time of the year, mid of March, sea cruise service people are talking about next peak season which starts from October. The availability of guides and cars is a luxury in this month and next but easy from May to September. That is off season in VN. Booking for next season made now is appropriate, though.

We just returned from our two week Southern Asia cruise on the Seabourn Sojourn and want to chime in on the excellent time we had and service we received from Zoom during our two days in Saigon. He is very knowledgeable and professional and will tailor your visit experience to your interests. We highly recommend. Thanks again Zoom!

We just returned from our two week Southern Asia cruise on the Seabourn Sojourn and want to chime in on the excellent time we had and service we received from Zoom during our two days in Saigon. He is very knowledgeable and professional and will tailor your visit experience to your interests. We highly recommend. Thanks again Zoom!

The guides and drivers who have worked for you will remember you much easier if after a time, months or years, you remind them of something belonging to the tour. A picture taken with them on touring days could be a good reminder. And, on your second visit, nothing better if you could be together again with them. The Vietnamese live longer and better with memories revoked. They will certainly treat your as guests !

We just returned from our trip to Vietnam and can highly recommend Zoom. We did the Ho Chi Minh City tour which included a very nice lunch and a Mekong Delta tour which also included lunch. Zoom speaks excellent English and was always very prompt in answering our emails and was at the ship to pick us up as scheduled. I think you would be very please with him. I would also like to comment on the driver he used....he was excellent. You will find that the traffic is terrible with motor scooters darting in and out everywhere....our driver did a great job of keeping us safe and was very nice as well.

We just returned from our trip to Vietnam and can highly recommend Zoom. We did the Ho Chi Minh City tour which included a very nice lunch and a Mekong Delta tour which also included lunch. Zoom speaks excellent English and was always very prompt in answering our emails and was at the ship to pick us up as scheduled. I think you would be very please with him. I would also like to comment on the driver he used....he was excellent. You will find that the traffic is terrible with motor scooters darting in and out everywhere....our driver did a great job of keeping us safe and was very nice as well.

We also used Zoom when we were in HCMC on 2/28/11. He is a consummate professional and will tailor the day to your tastes. We had a private car and driver with Zoom. It was a pleasure to spend the day with him. Everything was included in the price and he came to our hotel the next day to drop off a CD of the photos he took for us on the tour.He met us at our hotel and brought us back when we said we were finished. I can't say enough about the day and Zoom. I highly recommend him.

We also used Zoom when we were in HCMC on 2/28/11. He is a consummate professional and will tailor the day to your tastes. We had a private car and driver with Zoom. It was a pleasure to spend the day with him. Everything was included in the price and he came to our hotel the next day to drop off a CD of the photos he took for us on the tour.He met us at our hotel and brought us back when we said we were finished. I can't say enough about the day and Zoom. I highly recommend him.

Your long list of cruises taken shows how much you love travelling. If you have a website to share your stories and experiences that will be fascinating.

We are fortunate to have Zoom for our guide when we arrive at HCM on the Sun Princess 1st July 2011, we booked him like 12 months ago, he is so incredibly popular and well thought of throughout the CC'ers. Here is his web site.

http://www.saigontouring.com/

Cheers,

Your long list of cruises taken shows how much you love travelling. If you have a website to share your stories and experiences that will be fascinating.

Travelling is definitely a passion of mine-so many places and so little time. We try to mix it up-cruises and land-based-so all of it is not listed (since this is a cruise website). I don't have a personal website but that's a great idea. If you are interested, I just posted my very long review of our AMA Vietnam/Cambodia & Mekong River trip and river cruise under "Member Reviews" for La Marguerite. That was a fascinating adventure!

+1 for Zoom...my wife and I made use of his services in July 2010 while we were in Saigon. He was excellent. I remember what he told me about crossong the street in Saigon. He said there are 3 rule to cross the street, rule 1 ..do not cross the street, rule 2... if yoou must cros the street only do it with a Vietnamese person, rule 3... do ot forget rules 1 and 2. Thre traffic is insane. Be sure to observe the electrica and phone wiring on the telephone ploes in the city. They look like a bowl of spaghetti. You will not be disappoint with Zoom and his services.

• 1 year later...
Travelling is definitely a passion of mine-so many places and so little time. We try to mix it up-cruises and land-based-so all of it is not listed (since this is a cruise website). I don't have a personal website but that's a great idea. If you are interested, I just posted my very long review of our AMA Vietnam/Cambodia & Mekong River trip and river cruise under "Member Reviews" for La Marguerite. That was a fascinating adventure!

You are quite right. Only after the trip could you evaluate the trip accurately.

• 1 month later...

Phu My bridge makes some small ships like Seven Seas dock away from downtown at Hiep Phuoc, Lotus, Navi Oil port in which Hiep Phuoc is the farthest, 45 min. to downtown Saigon.

• 1 month later...

Cheers,

We had a group of 23 with Zoom a couple of weeks ago, he is outstanding, a walking Wikipedia of Vietnam, answered every question everyone asked him. A very proud Vietnamese that found it a pleasure and his duty to show you his country the way it is. He was born in Saigon and was a young man during the end of the Vietnam War and saw it all. He was also Chelsea Clinton's tour guide in 2000. You could not get a better tour guide in Ho Chin Minh City, he is highly professional. Highly recommended.

We used Zoom's tour service as well. My only criticism would be that I booked him in May for our December 16 cruise stop. Ray booked well after us and his group had Zoom for a guide whilst we had another.

Not to say he was bad. All of the guides that we had in Asia were outstanding. But we saw less than Ray's group and were back much earlier. We didn't have a lot of say in our itinerary and spent way more time at the War Remnants museum than we needed and didn't get to see the inside of the Reunification Palace.

I would use his service again but would be more explicit about expectations.

We used Zoom's tour service as well. My only criticism would be that I booked him in May for our December 16 cruise stop. Ray booked well after us and his group had Zoom for a guide whilst we had another.

Not to say he was bad. All of the guides that we had in Asia were outstanding. But we saw less than Ray's group and were back much earlier. We didn't have a lot of say in our itinerary and spent way more time at the War Remnants museum than we needed and didn't get to see the inside of the Reunification Palace.

I would use his service again but would be more explicit about expectations.

I understand where you are coming from, I think it's just a matter of numbers (We had 25 people originally)and the fact I did do a bit of homework and had a firm itinerary with Zoom from the start. That way we got to see exactly what we want to see, he is quite flexible in any case. I'm sure you can get him and your choice of itinerary if you made firm arrangements from the start. In any case I think all his staff are also excellent. Either way, you must admit Zoom's team are excellent, don't you think?

We booked with Zoom for a 2 day tour in Feb. many months ago and Zoom told me at the outset that he would not be able to guide our group. I believe someone else from our cruise has him but he says he will spend some time with us on day 1. I am very pleased to hear that all of the guides were good .

Archived