All things EARTH...

Debbie...you did a great job of explaining!

And I still remember that scarf...OMG...I wish we could have made a video for you...it was like watching a morphing thing happen seeing all the color come out in your face and just seeing you suddenly sparkle. It was amazing to see.

I think we all know that we look better in some colors in our respective color families than others. I think that is why we started doing those color party pictures so long ago...trying to discover what our absolute BEST without our best colors were.

Wasn't that exhausting?

Anyway...Lauri...don't sweat it all right now. Seriously.

People complement you for all different kinds of reasons. Mom and I were just talking about how there was all this talk about the difference between someone saying That's a nice shirt...and You look nice. Or, I love your outfit...v You look nice....this whole idea of there being a difference between having your clothes be complemented v. yourself.

Perhaps that navy and silver shirt just fits you really well. Or for some reason, you are happier and seem to smile more when you wear it. Who knows.

What I have learned from this process is that I needed to learn what I looked like when I looked my best. What my skin really looked like. How my eyes stood out. How my hair color was affected. All that.

I used to think that navy was one of my best colors. I took the comparison photos and I was like, :eek:, I couldn't understand why I thought that looked so great.

I used to think I looked TERRIBLE in rust and mustard. Just awful. I didn't wear them until being told I was Earth about 4+ years ago. I thought I looked great in blue-reds not orange-reds. OMG. I'm not sure what influenced all these thoughts...because it all turned out to be opposite world.

I think that I fought having my skin look natural. I think that I thought I looked the most "blended" when I was all washed out...not with a putrid look to the wash out...just little color. Was that a popular look?

IDK. I've never been a big blush person and generally would avoid blush too. So that's my own quirk.

Totally get the milestone birthday too. I turned 40 in 2012 and I discovered all this in the midst of pursuing personal change to honor that milestone. I wasn't even cruising...but Mom said I had to read up on this...so I joined and I read and that was that.

Do what you can to get the pictures so that we can make a good comparison. Please note that I am not looking fabulous in any of my pictures...and in fact, looked tired as all get out. My brows need attention...it's all very sad looking.

So these pictures may not be the dazzling moment...but it should help point us in the direction of what WILL be. KWIM?

One last note of clarification. FACE the window fully when you take the photo. We need your face to be lit up equally all over.

One thing I am noticing is that we have different ways to explain all this, but we are all on track. I think we all have struggles too. Mine is that I have trouble knowing where the line ever is between muted and clear. When a color is really right though, you will know.

I know that fire red dress I posted a link to isn't right...it's just too bright. It wears me, instead of me wearing the dress. It's too bad because it really captured what I was looking for otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

We're going to Vermont in October with my sister's family for a few days. Then to Seattle for a week at Christmas. Our next cruise will be the Panama Canal and Costa Rica in March.

Everyone's travel plans sound like such fun! Melody, I went to Nachi Cocum in March and it was lovely. Like Kim, we prefer to get away from the hordes and it was just perfect for that. What are you doing in Roatan? I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Pam, I would love to hear a wardrobe analysis when you get back from you PC cruise. I know it will be very hot and humid, so I'm thinking linen, linen, linen.

Laurie it's too bad about that red dress, I really liked the style. Red is one of the EARTH colors I can't cheat on at all because of the red tones in my hair. I don't wear gray AT ALL. It looks horrible on me. If there is an EARTH gray, and I haven't seen one yet, I would probably not buy it. Along with fuschia, it is one of the colors that makes me look sick.

Debbie, I can relate to your search for the perfect colors in your palette. I definitely bought some colors early on that I just never ended up wearing, in my case mostly the lighter versions of colors in the EARTH spectrum. It is definitely a process that goes in fits and starts until we refine it specifically for our own coloring and taste (and needs in the case of things like work and weather).

I can see what Anita means about the stained glass appearance of Kim's eyes in comparison to her own. My eyes have that flatter quality too. It was interesting at our bbq because DH's colleague's wife said that she had only seen me at night (at dinners) and hadn't realized how pretty and blue my eyes were. In the daylight they look so different, and the brown and blue areas are much more pronounced.

Anita, love the color of those sandals! They match my current nails, which are a perfect muted turquoise. It must be a popular color now; three of us were wearing it at our party:

http://www.laceandlacquers.com/2014/10/sally-hansen-miracle-gel-grey-matters.html

The other color in this line that is EARTHly perfect is lavender:

http://cuti-clue-les.blogspot.com/2014/09/new-sally-hansen-miracle-gel-swatch-and.html

In looking for these links I saw an interesting variation that I might try:

http://www.sallyhansen.com/nails/how-tos/electric-current-madeline-poole

Edited by MJC

I did some catalog window shopping last night. I think this dress reads EARTH even though it has some black and gray in it, what do you think?

http://www.chadwicks.com/item/42529/400104/crinkled-boho-print-dress-misses

This has a very Ralph Lauren feel to it:

http://www.chadwicks.com/item/41078/400104/short-corduroy-shirtdress-misses

Look olive! This style would be perfect for no-waist me. I wonder if it reads too cool though:

http://www.chadwicks.com/products.asp?sku=42501&categoryid=9999

Love that this blazer in brown houndstooth has some teal in it:

http://www.chadwicks.com/products.asp?sku=10738&categoryid=9999

Some nice colors from Coldwater Creek. I miss the store, where I could see the colors IRL and try things on. I find a huge difference in color from printed catalog to computer screen.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/tee-shirts/lace-charmed-henley/30163.html?dwvar_30163_color=409#start=17&cgid=clothing-tees

Nice twinset, especially in brown and gold:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/sweaters/silk%2Fcotton-cardigan/20000.html

Check out the lovely color called Spice:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/pants-and-shorts/pinwale-corduroys/67002.html?dwvar_67002_color=150#q=67002&start=2

This is one of those perfect dress up/dress down dresses. I can see it with boots and a scarf, or heels and a great necklace. The question is, which color?

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/dresses/simply-charming-skimmer-dress/42000.html

This is one of those perfect dress up/dress down dresses. I can see it with boots and a scarf, or heels and a great necklace. The question is, which color?

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shop-all/dresses/simply-charming-skimmer-dress/42000.html

GREEN!!! All the way.

I still struggle a bit with Earthy colors in some seasons...Spring is the hardest, I think. This dress would work Autumn through Spring...but the rust colored one would feel out of place in the spring for me. However, the green could be "Spring-ed Up" with fun lighter colored scarfs and accessories.

I didn't realize Coldwater Creek was back in the marketplace.

I think that one pattern reads Earth online...worth a shot.

So good to see you Margaret...I feel like it's been forever!

I've finally hit the bathroom with my KonMari...I shopped my makeup and nail polish all over again. It was fun actually...I "tried on" all my eye colors on my hand and was excited to see how some colors were looking...I had forgot I had them!

I cleared out all my old and separated nail polish...obviously I didn't use them. And I'm down to a pretty fabulous collection of 18 fun colors and effects.

I love that graphic treatment on the nails and using two colors! Very fun. I've seen similar treatments in magazine ads... I don't know why, but I feel like I would want to do the transition nail on my pointer finger...let my thumb be a different color than my fingers with the pointer transition...I know the middle finger is more balanced...but it feels off balance to me. I think I prefer asymmetry to symmetry.

I might try that...and be to use more of my fun polishes all at the same time!

Posting this link so I don't lose it.

I don't watch a lot of makeup tutorials. But I do get in a mood every now and then...sometimes I follow those recommended links...anyway...I enjoyed this one because the premise was how to make your eyes look bigger without being overdone.

And I enjoyed her accent too...

This video popped up after the other one (which I rewatched because I might play with my newly organized makeup today...) and I had to keep the link on it because I've been dealing with "allergy eyes" and have experienced some puffiness above my eye lid that make my eyes more hooded than normal...

I thought this had good info:

Ok, here goes nothing! Please note these were all taken within 2 minutes & DH didn't move. Interesting how the color or the house also changedImageUploadedByForums1438186537.441261.jpg.ec5011f8620aa6a6780b80772c2e563a.jpg. Note, I will never, ever be seen without makeup again. DH is still laughing...

Edited by awhfy

Melody, the colors on the left just don't work, to me. I'm looking at the fabric, not you. Right off, I knew you tone was muted, without even considering you eye color that I've already seen up close. The gray is okay but the best picture is earth to me.

Margaret, I love your posts and miss them. I could put that green dress to good use! I like the crinkled one too but I'm unsure if some of that is brown or black. I am going to check it on my computer monitor at home later.

I have to try some of those makeup ideas!

The reason that the color of the house changed behind you is because the auto focus/adjustment feature of the camera you were using was struggling to make adjustments. In plain terms, the camera didn't love how the colors were all out of sync and so it struggled to "make it work" and when it did that...the color of your house changed.

We knew your eye was showing muted...and the gray is not working.

The black looks good too though...but I didn't think your eye was showing clear. And with this picture being so small (it would so much better if you could post it bigger)...I'm thinking that you look a little too pink.

Also, I'm thinking the black is looking good because of your hair...and how wearing a richer color is looking better on you. But black is a unique color in the world...and the other bright clear color in this 4-some completely overwhelms you. Yes, it gives you a lot of coloring...it does what bright colors do to people that really need muted colors. Like the hot coral for me, this bright color is what is showing all over your face.

And like Bonnie, shown in this link:

https://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/success-stories/

She is the first Success Story here...she was wearing Fire on the left but she is an Air. Your photos almost perfectly mimic these Bonnie photos.

Because the bright clear color did that to you...that rules out Ice where your colors would all be bright and clear.

What I would say to you...

Experiment with the Earth colors and really understand the different ones and make sure that you are getting really good warm Earth colors...make sure that there aren't any weird undertones in the colors. Also...experiment with how light and dark they are. I know that I feel much better in at least medium dark and darker colors...the lighter colors usually make me feel a bit naked, especially if they blend into my skin tone too much.

Also...and without meaning any offense at all...Curt has often talked about using demi-permanent coloring to revive faded hair. Mom is the most amazing color transformation in that respect, especially because she is Fire and they can suffer from the effects of faded hair more than any other element IMO. Mom is the second Success Story on the link above. Perhaps if you were to experiment with that too, you wouldn't feel so washed out, which I am believing you feel because you say you wear bright colors now because the other's wash you out.

I wouldn't call it washed out. You have pale skin...I do too. And I think it is natural to not want to look faded. But I don't think you look faded at all...Even with the pictures this small, your eyes are popping in that Earth color and your skin looks much more youthful in that Earth color.

Thanks for the input, on coloring the hair, that's a no go. My hair grows too quickly & id be coloring every 2 weeks (or look like a skunk). I'm putting the pictures in separately ImageUploadedByForums1438192833.591705.jpg.15b28f24f3d896384600f46de39e2041.jpg. Melody

ImageUploadedByForums1438192747.091544.jpg.82912efdafddef55481d3b85711cbba3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1438192764.227722.jpg.631a4eb581616696eeb71fa108b9fbe0.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1438192778.822388.jpg.18d6e0bba8b75a0c0b36043859e5506f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1438192794.350023.jpg.32caae63f7b9db0eaf10f848111f7802.jpg

Edited by awhfy

Hey Melody,

Judging from the background and the effect on your skin, I'd say the blue you are wearing is Air, the house color looks most like the gray photo.

Seeing your photos slightly bigger...I have to ask...which photo best represents the color of your house IRL?

I just had to share this because I thought it was really funny...this is me doing testing pictures on Feb 5, 2010...using colors similar enough to what Melody used. My photos were also taken within minutes of each other (but I hadn't perfected my selfie technique yet LOL):

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Melody%20amp%20Me_zpshxesczi1.jpg

Anyway...same effect on the backgrounds and the skin and the way the eyes pop.

And I remember showing some of these photos to Mom and her saying...IDK, do you think you're an Earth.

No way Mom!!

Too funny...

OMG...this is so FUNNY!!!

Not long after...I perfected my selfie technique...check it out...there is 54 month difference in these two pictures:

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Technique_zpszwxyyb56.jpg

Same camera distance, same head angle, same lovely expression!!!

I STILL need a latte...

OR wine. Maybe I need some wine!!!

I am cracking myself up over here...

Anita, the color behind me in the blue is the true color of the house, it's "latte" color...tee hee. Actually, the color is latte, coffee with cream

That makes all kinds of sense...that's an Air color. That explains what is happening with the auto adjustments on your camera.

I know why you like the blue. And other bluish colors that you've talked about. I totally understand. It has been my experience that I can still really like me in Air Green...because of my eye color. But just like your makeup photo...all the different yellows and reds are still visible in the skin...it isn't as blended as it could be with a warmer color.

My "Success Story" photos are a total fail because mine is in an Air Green!! LOL:

https://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/success-stories/success-stories-ii/

That's what happens. Some other muted colors are ones that end up looking pretty good. Debbie talked earlier about "cheats" and this would be one of my cheats...getting something that is muted and complementary to my eyes.

Oh! Demi-permanent hair color is really kind of fun. It's easy to do too. My Sally Beauty Supply has the Wella (I think) brand...Curt talked me through doing it to help even out my sun bleached hair...the beauty of the Demi color is that it fades...you don't get roots with it.

Therefore, it doesn't last nearly as long as other types of color. It's kind of a fun tool to have in your toolbox because you can do it for vacations/special occasions...for a little pick me up (seasonal)...and not have to deal with the consequence of that because it just fades out.

Anita, my hair no longer has color to it. I tried Demi color a couple of times & it either went brassy or still left a demarcation line, not worth it, especially since I'm retired

When I found out I was an earth, I was quite happy. Quite a while before this, someone "in the know" suggested I might be spring. They were very conflicted at the time, but I don't know what other option they were considering. Autumn? Winter? Summer?

But at that particular time, the internet wasn't as prevalent and I just didn't look into it. When I think about it now, I remember how this person wasn't certain, and how I was wearing makeup and didn't compare how I looked in different colors.

Ever since going through the process with Curt, I have been very certain that I'm an earth. I think, as I mentioned earlier, that I can sometimes struggle with different levels of brightness, but overall, I think I'm on track.

I love finding the right color, and even my husband and kids are getting quite quick to tell me that I'm looking at something that isn't a good color for me. It helps me a lot.

Margaret, I'm going to go back to those links you posted. I really love the green dress a lot. It's not something I can wear to work, but I would get a lot out of it in the fall for weekends and the occasional function that we attend at that time of the year. By the way, I've missed your posts. It's nice to have you back.

Chadwicks is pretty good at carrying seasonal colors that offer a variety.

I really enjoyed looking back at your pictures, Anita. I haven't decided if I think you need wine or a latte, but I'm leaning towards wine. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about a glass for myself at the moment, lol. I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to go to the mall. Yup, a whole vacation day to shop with my daughter. I'm on a mission, starting with a few new bras. If I'm measuring myself correctly, I've gone from a 40DD to a 36DD. Also, NY& Co. has their pants buy one, get one free, and they fit me really nice. I very much need some new pants for work, so I'm going to see if they have some good colors for me. I'm hopeful, because fall is coming and that should be what they have in stock...fall colors.

I had to return the red one piece swimsuit to Athleta, but the new size should be in tomorrow or Friday. I sent customer service a question, and they were amazingly nice and helpful. It's nice to a see a business that does that. It definitely left a good impression on me.

I was wandering around the internet yesterday, and it I ended up on Nordstrom Rack. Did you know they have quite a bit of exercise closing at reasonable prices? I saw some muted peachy tones that I want to go back and check out. We're getting a Nordstrom Rack at the mall this fall. I look forward to that opening. We will also be getting Lululemon, an upscale athletic attire store. I'm really not waiting for that...I'm thinking based on their website that it is overly priced, but we'll see. I don't need piles of exercise clothing, but I would love to add some earthy colors if I can find them. They're quite elusive, as you have mentioned, Anita.

Laurie I'm glad you like Athleta. They've been so nice to me. I had ordered a Baja blue hoodie (& it was too big). I returned it to the store & got the Jasper green hoodie (yes, it's a grey green, pretty Earthy).

My daughter loves Lululomon, I find it very expensive. Melody

I saw this dress online this morning, and it caught my eye. I can't wear the lighter colors or higher necklines they have out right now, but this is cute. I think it may be more fire than earth - I think the colors are clear and lighter shades rather than muted? But I know we have a lot of different seasons on this thread, so I thought it might interest someone.

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/prod/apparel/dresses/floral-midi-sheath-dress-/A-prod3490009/#N-102626

Laurie, I don't think that's a FIRE print. There are some significant issues with the print on the dress. The most important one is that the neckline has that white, looks almost like an optic white on my monitor, as the first thing that would reflect onto my face. That would be a non-starter for me, from the get-go.

Then, there seems to be a lot of grayish tint to the aqua and the blue band on the dress. Whenever I see a gray undertone, I know that the color is tending cool; I need to see that yellow, golden, or orange undertone to know that I'm seeing warmth.

Finally… and am I the only one who sees these things?… I can't handle where the large design appears on the front of the dress! I always check out the back of a print dress as well because I don't want my <ahem> to have blooming flowers (or anything really) erupting from its <ahem> area.

Well… that's just me!

Laurie, I don't think that's a FIRE print. There are some significant issues with the print on the dress. The most important one is that the neckline has that white, looks almost like an optic white on my monitor, as the first thing that would reflect onto my face.

Finally… and am I the only one who sees these things?… I can't handle where the large design appears on the front of the dress! I always check out the back of a print dress as well because I don't want my <ahem> to have blooming flowers (or anything really) erupting from its <ahem> area.

Well… that's just me!

I'm an Ice but that dress has too much orange in the design for me. The colours just don't appeal to me personally. Also looked at the backside and not keen on the design placement at all. Too much attention on the derrière for me.JMO