All things EARTH...

Ok. I am soooo indecisive when it comes to this stuff!

I KNOW B-3 and C-4 are out, because... well, a little birdy told me.

A-1 and C-2 are AIR, maybe?

I LOVE A-1, A-2, B-1. Maybe C-1. I'm too indecisive.

So if B-1 is good, B-2 should be also, because I even questioned if these were the same top, remember? But I can't figure out why the tops are so similar in color and yet one shows Anita in the dark, unless it is sun out and sun behind a cloud, maybe? OR, is there something I'm not seeing? See there's that indecisiveness again!

Same issue with C-1 and C-3. I like C-1 and C-3 is similar in color, yet Anita is "dark" again. What's up with that?

Like I said earlier, I have more questions than answers, so I've been checking back over and over today to see what others think. Looking at the Happy Color Party, I would think everything but B-3 and C-4 would work. Is it just different degrees of good, better, best, then?

If so, I vote A-1 as #1 and B-1 as #2 or maybe A-2 as #2. See????? --Debbie

Ok. I am soooo indecisive when it comes to this stuff!

I KNOW B-3 and C-4 are out, because... well, a little birdy told me.

Yep, Debbie, I think we're in agreement on this.

A-1 and C-2 are AIR, maybe?

Did you make a typo here? Did you mean A-1? Because your statement is that you LOVE (in caps) A-1 so I'm thinking you don't mean A-1 in this statement?

C-2... could be cool... could be that the color isn't "muted" enough for Anita. I don't know if it's a temperature of the color problem or if it's a muted, saturated color problem.

I LOVE A-1, A-2, B-1. Maybe C-1. I'm too indecisive.

So if B-1 is good, B-2 should be also, because I even questioned if these were the same top, remember? But I can't figure out why the tops are so similar in color and yet one shows Anita in the dark, unless it is sun out and sun behind a cloud, maybe? OR, is there something I'm not seeing? See there's that indecisiveness again!

Same issue with C-1 and C-3. I like C-1 and C-3 is similar in color, yet Anita is "dark" again. What's up with that?

Like I said earlier, I have more questions than answers, so I've been checking back over and over today to see what others think. Looking at the Happy Color Party, I would think everything but B-3 and C-4 would work. Is it just different degrees of good, better, best, then?

If so, I vote A-1 as #1 and B-1 as #2 or maybe A-2 as #2. See????? --Debbie

OK. So, what is keeping you from being decisive is that now you're trying to look at the color(s) rather than the affect of the color(s) on Anita's skin tone.

So, your logic pattern goes like this:

I like B1

B1 is similar to B2

If I like B1

then I must like B2...

and the affect of the color(s) doesn't work that way. These colors are similar, but they aren't EXACT. So, just because you see a color that seems to be similar doesn't mean that you will like it as much... because the differences in the color (even if the color difference is very subtle) could be the difference between working or not working... between best, better, good... etc.

So, just look at the affect of the color... not the color itself, to try to determine whether you think the color is a good wardrobe addition or should be a subtraction.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Just for ducks...I did this, which shows which shirt is which picture:

008-1-1.jpg

B3 and C4 are AIR. And those were already eliminated from my color party...BUT I took the pictures still so that we could all see the effect of the cool colors...in case some other color acted like these cool colors. This is why I think that it is helpful to go ahead and take a photo with a wrong color, just we can see happens.

I can say more...but I am still trying to give Kim time to make some observations before I state mine.

Mom...I think comparative photos need to be taken in similar conditions, so I don't think it's a good idea to just add one more...it'll be so out of place and hard to compare...I could do a retake of a couple shirts and include that one for consideration...we'll see how the commentary comes out.

Here is the collage edited for removing the AIR greens and the retakes:

014-1-1.jpg

Voting on the BEST: A2, B1, C3

BETTER: A1, A3

GOOD: B2, C1

Anita, I would really like to see a collage with the images ordered like I have listed... with the BEST in the top row, BETTER in the middle row, and GOOD in the last row.

I would also like to see the infamous found laundry items to see if I would change my mind about all of those tops.

And, I think that I'm pretty secure in my opinion(s).

But, I really, really want to know what Kim and Debbie think as their final picks. And, also, how Anita responds to what we've seen and her opinion as to why some of the colors seemed to not work as well as others and what she would choose as her BEST color, as well.

OMG!!! Again with the posting at the same time! I'll go read Anita's post. This is getting ridiculously weird!

Edited by Member123

This is my vote (for now).

NO--A4, C1 (original group)

COLLAGE EDITED--YES--A1, B1, C3

RETAKES--YES-- B4

OMG, I'm confused on what we're voting for now. Anita, can you put together just 1 collage that will stay the same? I don't know who's on 1st.....

Here are the retakes...I have included a shirt that I think everyone is thinking is GOOD for comparison purposes...from left to right A1, A4, B4, and C2:

032-1.jpg

A4 is out for me on this grouping--too minty maybe?

I like B4 for a darker/brighter green and C2 for a lighter green on you.

I'm going along with Pam on this EXCEPT B2 is a no for me. I think I like Anita's eyes more in the darker greens and I think her hair has a more golden richer look in the darker greens.

Voting on the BEST: A2, B1, C3

BETTER: A1, A3

GOOD: B2, C1

Anita, I would really like to see a collage with the images ordered like I have listed... with the BEST in the top row, BETTER in the middle row, and GOOD in the last row.

I would also like to see the infamous found laundry items to see if I would change my mind about all of those tops.

And, I think that I'm pretty secure in my opinion(s).

But, I really, really want to know what Kim and Debbie think as their final picks. And, also, how Anita responds to what we've seen and her opinion as to why some of the colors seemed to not work as well as others and what she would choose as her BEST color, as well.

OMG!!! Again with the posting at the same time! I'll go read Anita's post. This is getting ridiculously weird!

Edit: Ok, I had edit time again. Weird that I keep posting at the same time as Anita! Anyway, I believe that the methodology that you describe for picking out the BEST would work really well. And, I would add that when we get to that point, I think it would be great fun to accessorize the best pictures and see what would really work with the color family that we're analyzing... what do you think? Just elevate this fun to another level?

I think this is a fantastic idea, Pam!

OK. So here goes.

I'm going to talk about the retake photos first:

032-1.jpg

Kim can now totally relate to the difficulty in the picture taking. I picked the first shirt as a kind of standard because there is something about it...I like every picture of me in it...regardless of lighting condition, so I picked it for the retakes (not because it is my favorite).

I don't know what the deal is with the second shirt. It is a warm color. It is also VERY pale...I suppose it is possible that this is a pale CLEAR color? I'm going to take a picture of Mom in it at Thanksgiving to test. The other explanation is just that it is TOO pale for me. I have never thought of myself as having dramatic coloring (some Earth's really do)...but I can see that I definitely look better in colors that are more saturated...not necessarily dark, but just a LOT of color, if that makes sense.

The third photo...the jacket...this is an inconsistent garment...it is shiny. And because of the shine...the color changes...and sometimes the shine is white...which is bizarre...but the fact is that I THOUGHT that I would wear this all the time because it goes with everything, but every time I put it on...I take it off...and I have honestly never worn this jacket. It's like those metalic dresses that change in the light and end up looking good on no one.

The last photo...this is a good color on me...I think the reason this isn't a GREAT or BETTER color is because of the pattern...it's not white white...but it is more white than cream...and I think that is seriously making the difference. If this top were solid in the green color...I think this would shoot up into at least a BETTER category. After seeing these photos...I am totally going to tea dye this shirt and see what happens.

Now to talk about this collage:

014-1-1.jpg

I agree with a lot of you...

C1...Good...this is a warm color...it is full of color...and my skin looks really good...and my eyes can pop...but I prefer the way my hair looks when I wear other greens. This shirt has been demoted to a work shirt in my closet. I don't wear it when I want to look my best.

A1 and A3...BETTER...these are GREAT all around shirts for me. The color is pretty neutral. They go with a lot. They totally blend with my coloring. BUT...these aren't as GREEN as they could be...as so my eyes don't pop as much as in other shirts.

B3...BEST...I LOVE this way this shirt looks on me. It's a beautiful green on me. I love the gold accents and the way that the shirt isn't really a solid. This doesn't end up being my FAV though BECAUSE of the gold accents and the mixed color. It's actually harder to make outfits out of this shirt for that reason.

A2...BEST...this is the shirt that I affectionately call Baby Poop Green. This is one of those colors that really have selection on the clearance racks! LOL.

B1...BEST...this is probably one of my most FAVORITE shirts...I picked it up at the Gap Outlet for super cheap...I have shrunk and the shirt doesn't fit quite as nicely as it used to, so even though this is a super cheap shirt, I am going to have to alter it so that I can continue to wear it. This shirt ALWAYS ends up in the laundry because I can wear it with SO MUCH...it's too bad that such a fantastic color is in such a cheap ribbed cotton tank.

Which brings me to the one shirt that I have issues with the way the photo was taken...

B2...this shirt has replaced B1 in my heart...a find at Target...it is close but not the same...it fits like a dream and the material is very nice...this also ends up in the laundry every week.

So. I'm going to retake B2, B1, A2 and the shirts that I forgot and found in the laundry. LOL. One of the laundry shirts was also purchased at the Gap Outlet and if I recall, is the EXACT same color as B1. Which explains why it was lost in the laundry. LOL.

I think I will reorder my favorites with this new collage:

Best--A3, A2, C2

Better--B1, A1

Good--B2, C1

A3 is my most favoritist :) I love your eyes, hair, and skin tone. I love the depth of color and the way you look overall.

C1 is my least favorite. It seems to be too bright in a different color kind of green. Unlike A1, which is bright but still has a warmth about it. C1 doesn't seem blue/green but it does look like a different green than the rest of the pictures.

I have no idea if any of this is even close to being correct, I'm anxious to see what everyone else has to say.

This is just a great way to try things and learn. A lot of work but, I think will be worth it in the end!

Funny thing...

So, I went out this morning to try to take some pictures. I'm not feeling 100% today...I think there's something in the air...my family is waking up with suffering from allergy like symptoms...and I didn't sleep well last night, so I'm all puffy...but here's the funny thing.

It was pretty easy for me to get a photo of that B1 shirt that looked pretty good. And try as I might to get a photo with the B2 shirt that could compete? It just wouldn't happen. The one shirt is just different enough from the other shirt...

The other Gap shirt is also just different enough. And the other two from the laundry? Well...they are just not in the running, so I'm not going to waste everyone's time.

Kim asked about getting good photos...

The BEST photos that I have taken for looking at colors have been on overcast days during the day. Ambient light is high and diffused. If you face where the sun should be, the flash doesn't go off. It's easy to keep eyes open.

But this doesn't always happen. Unfortunately, you need to experiment to see what works. It's best to try to face the light, but not to be so in the light that you can't open your eyes. And it seems to work better to be in some sort of light shade, just enough so that there isn't such a glare on your skin. But not enough to take away the light and thus take away color (we need light to see color). It's what I try to do anyway.

Edited by Anita Latte

I don't mean to cause any confusion...but I have to post these for my Mom.

I bought a dress today that I thought MIGHT be a great match for the one shirt that is the ribbed cotton tank...it is very close...it is JUST different.

Here's the side by side. The dress does have that traveler's fabric look? I don't know if that is why there is more light in the right photo than the left? My angle is just that different in front of the bay window in the nook...could be that?

039-1-1.jpg

My hair is BUGGIN'...I need a haircut so bad...so I pulled it out of the way and add the fun accessories...it's a bad time of day...here is the shade:

040-1.jpg

here is standing in the door to the backyard:

042.jpg

Mom...what do you think? Keeper?

Edited by Anita Latte

Keeper?

YES, it's a keeper. I love that color on you!!! Your eyes look so exotic and just shine with this color. The necklace has an exotic look too.

I seem to notice eyes and hair more when someone has on the 'right" colors for them. I don't have that eye for the skin tone yet.

You look wonderful.

Wow, Anita. You know what I'm going to say, right? Time for another new avatar. LOVE the new cut. Doesn't it make you happy to have a swingy new "do"? You pass a mirror and look and think, "oh yeah". I don't mean in a prissy way--you just FEEL better. KWIM?

Just learned I may have two more friends join us for Zumba on Monday. Don't want to confuse the threads, just making wise use of my typing fingers. Will post details after Monday's session.

Ladies!! Thank you so much for the compliments! You know...for YEARS...absolute YEARS I've only really had my hair cut by whoever cuts my Mom's hair...so seriously...I would fly to AZ for a hair cut...and since that didn't happen too often...well...I didn't get a hair cut too often...but Mom goes to such great stylists, the cut would really last for several months...and then the ponytail would settle in...

Debbie I know EXACTLY what you mean...it's fun to have a new hair cut and see yourself in any reflection that you can and be like...*slight surprise*...yeah, I'm lookin' GOOD...no conceit intended. :o

I'm totally over the whole embarassment about seeing my face plastered all over this thread. LOL. I found the greatest accessories for my A1 shirt! I feel like Chico's on a Target budget! :cool: Self portraits are difficult, but I swear no wine was imbibed before the following photography:

015-3-1.jpg

I included the last photo so you could see my cool new bracelets too! Mom and I were joking about having to do "Realtor" face with the hand near the face to show any bracelets in accessory pictures...and let's just say that I cracked myself up in my attempts to show ya'll my cool new nickle free antique brass looking bracelets! What you can't see clearly in the photo is that the clasp area for the necklace has antique brass looking beads (look close, they are there)...with my short hair and exposed neck...the earrings and the bracelet really go more with the necklace than at first appearance.

I know everyone loves photos and I'm in a mood to share because NOW I HAVE had some wine...;)

Anyway...all jewelry accessories are from Target...the earrings and the bracelet set are "antiqued brass" and are "nickel free" and I can't find them online, of course...and the necklace has clear, opaque, wood, and antique brass beads. The necklace was 16.99; earrings 5.99, bracelets 7.99 or something similar.

I was celebrating. I got a new job and I had fun with my accessories. OH. And I had to buy a SECOND tank of A1 because I got a STAIN on the one I already had, and knowing how versatile it was for me...I had to have another. I'm going to be sure to wear the stained one regularly and save the newer one for when I want to look more "put together" for some sort of occasion that doesn't involve sweating to Pitbull. LOL!

Also...you can kind of see why I think my new hair cut is a little sexy (left photo)...and a little cute (middle photo)...all at the same time!

If you AREN'T reading the FIRE thread...we are talking about ACCESSORIES...and how to achieve a "put together" look with the extras that can really make an outfit more special. I'm all about this right now, mainly because I never have been too much...and I've always wanted to, so I am now...because I'm making it happen.

I know that I wanted something to go with my A2 green shirt. So I put that on today with a tan pencil skirt and my bronze sandals...and having no accessories on, I went to Kohls.

Let me tell you how much easier it is to be actually wearing the outfit you want to buy accessories for while you are shopping...OMG...I've been looking at things and WONDERING if they would go with that particular green...but there is so much more involved...and it is impossible to know whether it really goes without having it with you.

I checked out the jewelry in the clothing department with the Vera Wang line. In my store, her jewelry is there, not in the jewelry section. The entirety of her current collection is in an antique gold, bronze looking kind of metal. It is so EARTH...it isn't funny. I tried on many different lengths of necklaces and found that the shirt, with it's boat like neckline, really needed a longer necklace...this was my favorite in that style:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry/top_brands/simply_veraverawang/simply_veraverawang1/necklaces_pendants/PRD~903524/Simply+Vera+Vera+Wang+Gold+Tone+Bead+Long+Swag+Necklace.jsp

But I realized that it was just a bit too much for me to consider for everyday wear...I'm not yet comfortable with all that shine...as much as I liked it...it will be the NEXT look I buy...

I hit the real jewelry section...I found a bracelet that I really liked that had the colors of my shirt...I had in mind that I needed a necklace though...but unfortunately, the necklace lengths didn't work...so keeping the bracelet...I went searching for something that might go...not finding anything...

So I headed over to the scarves...and found several I liked...the greens never perfectly matched...and I wondered...how close should it be?...and if it doesn't match, should it obviously NOT match...is close but no cigar bad? like I THOUGHT it matched, but anyone looking could see that it didn't?

So I headed over to the belts...

I need belts.

I've avoided belts for YEARS...but I have several outfits that NEED a belt. I've been wanting to find a corset style belt...but I think the all elastic ones are cheap looking and the fake leather ones are cheap looking (and uncomfortable)...and then...I spotted it!! A lovely belt:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/handbagsaccessories/accessories/belts/stretch/PRD~658929/Apt+9+Braided+Stretch+Belt.jsp

It's elastic, but the elastic is BRAIDED...it is very attractive, I must say...I love the texture in the belt!

So I actually put the belt on...and I loved how the dark belt went with my green and tan...LOVED it...and I realized that with such a statement belt...and such a high neckline...I didn't really NEED a necklace...so I put on the bracelet...

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/fashion_jewelry/top_brands/sonoma/sonoma1/bracelets/PRD~872219/SONOMA+life+++style+Bronze+Tone+Bead+Coil+Bracelet.jsp#

And went in search of earrings...I wanted ones that would be SEEN without being too much...since I didn't have a necklace...I wanted the bling to be seen near the face...these are the ones I liked best:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/fashion_jewelry/top_brands/sonoma/sonoma1/earrings/PRD~875137/SONOMA+life+++style+Bronze+Tone+Bead+Chandelier+Earrings.jsp

I'll have to post pictures of my whole outfit on a different day...I got a stain on the skirt and so I needed to deal with that...I will post pictures though.

Anyway...that is my story on how I went shopping for accessories today. :D

If you AREN'T reading the FIRE thread...we are talking about ACCESSORIES...and how to achieve a "put together" look with the extras that can really make an outfit more special. I'm all about this right now, mainly because I never have been too much...and I've always wanted to, so I am now...because I'm making it happen.

I know that I wanted something to go with my A2 green shirt. So I put that on today with a tan pencil skirt and my bronze sandals...and having no accessories on, I went to Kohls.

Let me tell you how much easier it is to be actually wearing the outfit you want to buy accessories for while you are shopping...OMG...I've been looking at things and WONDERING if they would go with that particular green...but there is so much more involved...and it is impossible to know whether it really goes without having it with you.

I checked out the jewelry in the clothing department with the Vera Wang line. In my store, her jewelry is there, not in the jewelry section. The entirety of her current collection is in an antique gold, bronze looking kind of metal. It is so EARTH...it isn't funny. I tried on many different lengths of necklaces and found that the shirt, with it's boat like neckline, really needed a longer necklace...this was my favorite in that style:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry/top_brands/simply_veraverawang/simply_veraverawang1/necklaces_pendants/PRD~903524/Simply+Vera+Vera+Wang+Gold+Tone+Bead+Long+Swag+Necklace.jsp

But I realized that it was just a bit too much for me to consider for everyday wear...I'm not yet comfortable with all that shine...as much as I liked it...it will be the NEXT look I buy...

I hit the real jewelry section...I found a bracelet that I really liked that had the colors of my shirt...I had in mind that I needed a necklace though...but unfortunately, the necklace lengths didn't work...so keeping the bracelet...I went searching for something that might go...not finding anything...

So I headed over to the scarves...and found several I liked...the greens never perfectly matched...and I wondered...how close should it be?...and if it doesn't match, should it obviously NOT match...is close but no cigar bad? like I THOUGHT it matched, but anyone looking could see that it didn't?

So I headed over to the belts...

I need belts.

I've avoided belts for YEARS...but I have several outfits that NEED a belt. I've been wanting to find a corset style belt...but I think the all elastic ones are cheap looking and the fake leather ones are cheap looking (and uncomfortable)...and then...I spotted it!! A lovely belt:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/handbagsaccessories/accessories/belts/stretch/PRD~658929/Apt+9+Braided+Stretch+Belt.jsp

It's elastic, but the elastic is BRAIDED...it is very attractive, I must say...I love the texture in the belt!

So I actually put the belt on...and I loved how the dark belt went with my green and tan...LOVED it...and I realized that with such a statement belt...and such a high neckline...I didn't really NEED a necklace...so I put on the bracelet...

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/fashion_jewelry/top_brands/sonoma/sonoma1/bracelets/PRD~872219/SONOMA+life+++style+Bronze+Tone+Bead+Coil+Bracelet.jsp#

And went in search of earrings...I wanted ones that would be SEEN without being too much...since I didn't have a necklace...I wanted the bling to be seen near the face...these are the ones I liked best:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/fashion_jewelry/top_brands/sonoma/sonoma1/earrings/PRD~875137/SONOMA+life+++style+Bronze+Tone+Bead+Chandelier+Earrings.jsp

I'll have to post pictures of my whole outfit on a different day...I got a stain on the skirt and so I needed to deal with that...I will post pictures though.

Anyway...that is my story on how I went shopping for accessories today. :D

Cute stuff!

The stain on your skirt comment has me cracking up. Also, I have this mental picture of your WEARING the belt, necklace, etc. while in the store going from department to department instead of carrying it around like I'm sure you did????

I have a question--if I would put on a large necklace like the one you had on, it would stick our like a sore thumb on me. How would I know if it stuck out because it was either hideous on me or because it was a "statement" piece? I also wonder if self confidence helps to pull off a "look". If you feel good it shows and if you don't it shows, I think. I think it must be a 3 step process in obtaining the "look"--#1--pick out the correct color, fit and feel of an outfit and then #2--accessorize it correctly utilizing the color and feel of an outfit and THEN#3-- feel confident in wearing all of this together to pull it all off. What do you think??? Am I way off base?

Also, I have this mental picture of your WEARING the belt, necklace, etc. while in the store going from department to department instead of carrying it around like I'm sure you did????

Oh no...who says you can't get to know someone through the internet?. Your mental image is spot on...I put the accessories on and walked around the store wearing my finds as I found them...it was part of what made me realize that I WOULD wear it...I left the Vera Wang necklace BECAUSE I didn't feel 100% comfortable walking around the STORE wearing it and I was looking for something that would work for me on a more everyday level. I made my purchases and then took off all the tags and put them all on in my car outside! LOL!

I have a question--if I would put on a large necklace like the one you had on, it would stick our like a sore thumb on me. How would I know if it stuck out because it was either hideous on me or because it was a "statement" piece? I also wonder if self confidence helps to pull off a "look". If you feel good it shows and if you don't it shows, I think. I think it must be a 3 step process in obtaining the "look"--#1--pick out the correct color, fit and feel of an outfit and then #2--accessorize it correctly utilizing the color and feel of an outfit and THEN#3-- feel confident in wearing all of this together to pull it all off. What do you think??? Am I way off base?

Standing out because something is hideous or because it is a statement is all in the feelings and emotions of the wearer. Taste is a subjective thing. What we can try to help each other with are answers to questions like...does it go?...and try to support each other with the knowledge that, according to the rules that we have established in trying to keep to our color palette, it does or doesn't go...and maybe, if we post some pictures where we are trying out different accessories, we can boost each other's confidence that the lengths, sizes, and other aspects GO with necklines, outfits, etc.

It's one reason why I think having the color parties is so great...we are weeding out the shirts that don't work...and seeing which ones do...and we are seeing how everyone has a slightly different eye in what they like...I think it's great that everyone has different favorites on each of us...it reminds us how subjective THE BEST is...and let's us know that we have a variety to choose from that makes us look really good...it think that's much better than only getting ONE best and then having a bunch of also rans...KWIM?

I agree that confidence is a most attractive quality. It invites others to have the same positive view of yourself. And I think that your thoughts are right. I think though, that I would add another boost of confidence after picking out an outfit and before buying accessories. Feel good knowing that you are wearing something that looks great. Figure out where you are going in your outfit...and then go find accessories that you like that seem appropriate to you. In the beginning...these may make a quieter statement...as we all get used to the idea of being that person that actually wears accessories. And then, as we get used to it, I think that it will evolve...even as our confidence in wearing them does. It's why the Vera Wang necklace didn't get purchased, but is on my want list for the future. I know plenty of other ladies that would wear that as an everyday thing, but for me...it was a little too shiny for everyday yet?