All things EARTH...

Here is a photo of me in the Aqua colored cardigan. No flash. No makeup (except some mascara on the uppers). I love the way this color brings out the blue in my eyes...the rust in my avatar really brings out the green to me...this one helps them go more to the blue side...this is the look that Curt was trying to see would happen to me in a Fire blue...but of course, this didn't happen...

012.jpg

Here is my color party on the bed with my new cardigan...What I love about shopping by color palatte is never worrying about bringing home a bargain "orphan" that doesn't go with anything in the closet...The light is a bit dim in the shot, but the cords are a camel color...to the left is a great blue/olive green sundress I found a while back at Target...the right is that new $2.97 skirt...greens...yellows...orange...and brown for the shirts...I love the blue with them all...

013.jpg

It's weird to see blue in an Earth palatte...and because it is the complementary color to what is so easy to find (all oranges)...it can really stand out...but I hope you can see how it doesn't fight the other colors in the picture...there is an actual blend going on here...

To prove this point I arranged this photograph...I've included an exercise shirt that I have that is a COOL blue...hope fully you can detect it...it is definitely not blending into all the other colors in the picture...and you can see much better how the blue/olive green sundress really is an EARTH pattern...

018.jpg

I believe that this color, this muted aqua color, is also to be found at Kohl's. I saw it in various lines in the Misses department. There is quite a bit of this muted blue and coral/rust kind of colors right now.

Yesterday I bought the sweater...but I also bought a maxi dress...I LOVE the maxi dress...BUT it isn't quite right...BUT I think it is workable...

I'm going to share my analysis, my method with you ladies...it is nothing new...it's what works for me...

Anyway...when I put on the dress... I could have used a smaller size...BUT it was the last dress...and I LOVED the spring-like fabric...so cheerful with an impressionist flower looking pattern on it...and in the store, the dress looked to be an olive green, coral, cream colored pattern...

And it looked pretty good on...especially considering that I didn't have any makeup on, my hair was in a ponytail, and it was late in the hot afternoon...nuff said...

Out in the sunlight however...the dress proved to be more of a brownish, watermelonish, ivoryish kind of color...not quite what I thought it was...not that it matters...I got a steal of a deal and I loved the drape of the fabric, the quality of the construction, the pattern...

And I have been staring at this dress all day...thinking that the watermelonish color looks like it could be a kind of warmish color...just a variation of a shade of salmon if we can talk like this...the brown was definitely a warm brown...and shades of the watermelon looked full on coral...but there were bright spots that were throwing me for a loop...was it a good EARTH in the end?

So I did my grouping picture test...here is test one which includes a very muted, warm, salmon colored sweater to the left of the dress...

020.jpg

Not too bad...

But then I decided to take out that salmon sweater...and through in another definite EARTH patterned dress...HELLO!?!...

021.jpg

The bright colors in the dress stand out like a BEACON...but you can see how the background blends? The greens on the bottom of the photo look pretty good with the pattern...with non-watermelon color...And if you look at the first picture...the salmon cardigan would work with this dress...so here's the deal...

I think this dress is a perfect candidate for tea staining! I think that will dull the whole thing up a bit and bring the watermelon more in line with "salmon" and generally dull out the dress...Meanwhile...I can stylize it with Earth green (especially at the neckline/ears) and just enjoy how super duper comfortable the dress is...

The dress is a bit big in the bodice...I have it gathered with a pin in the back that is working pretty well...but as the weight loss continues...and the dress gets ridiculously big...rest assured, I will be tea staining this one and reporting on the results...look for it in the months to come!

• 1 month later...

Hey Ladies...

I was breezing through Target today and noticed this dress as I passed by the ladies' section:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Collection-Donna-Crepe-Dress/dp/B004QZU2L2/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Collection%20Donna%20Crepe%20Dress&node=1104830&searchSize=30&searchView=grid5&searchPage=1&sr=1-1&qid=1304014062&rh=target_com_primary_color-bin%3AGold%7Csleeve_type%3ASleeveless&searchBinNameList=style_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

For anyone that has been wanting to find EARTH BLUE...this is a FABULOUS dress. The photos are brighter than the dress is IRL...the material is that kind of filmy material...it's polyester though so it should travel like a dream...and IMHO it looks like a great crusing dress! If you are shy of the sleeveless style, there is a matching cardigan, but this might be too much for some, because it is the print:

http://www.target.com/Merona-Collection-Paige-Cardigan-Sweater/dp/B004IYVLU2/ref=br_1_22?ie=UTF8&id=Merona%20Collection%20Paige%20Cardigan%20Sweater&node=676593011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid5&searchPage=3&sr=1-22&qid=1304014519&rh=style_name%3ACardigan%20Sweater&searchBinNameList=style_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccollar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice&searchRank=pmrank&frombrowse=1

And seriously matches. The section where the dress can be found had several other warm muted offerings. But this was the stand out for me.

My MOB dress for DD's Sept wedding is gold silk shantung with a gold Alencon lace overlay and unlined Gold lace jacket. I've been searching for the last few months for just the right shoes and clutch. I wanted an antique gold or a "not too bright" bronze color. Finally had great success in NYC this weekend.

Here's a pic of the jacket lace with the Ferragamo bag:

ry%3D400

Here are the shoes (my color is in the foreground):

ry%3D400

Finally, the bag and shoes together :) :

ry%3D400

Jane

Hey ladies! Just a little update for you. I've been trying to take a little more time with my shopping, and it's helped. Coral is a big color this year as are peachy tones, so I have been able to find some muted versions that work well on me.

I struggle big time with blue and shades of purple. I can't quite tell when a color is right, but I'm trying.

The biggest problem over all is finding things for work. I have lots of great shirts for weekends and nights out, but not for work. There is way too much black out there!

I found a really, really cute dress at New York and Company. I will confess that the base of the dress is white, but most of the colors work well for me. It got me wondering if this is the right blue?

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=prod3610024&categoryId=cat60070&productId=prod3610024&categoryId=cat60070&addFacet=1002%3Acat60070

The gold, olive and brown are great in the dress. The white isn't right, I know that. Overall though, I really loved it on. It's a loose fitting maxi dress that doesn't make me look pregnant, lol. By the way, it comes in a purple pattern too that I also loved, but I can't figure purples out just yet.

I try hard to get the best possible things.

Now for a bathing suit, consider this:

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=43238273&index=9&gp_coll_id=2012&gp_cat_id=7505&nav_cat_id=7509&category_id=4893

And when it arrives, I better look like that, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to let you know that I've tried the tea staining. I was quite nervous about staining white twill shorts, but I figured I'd give it a try since I've been avoiding the shorts because of the color.

I used my sink and a few tea kettles of boiling water. I used quite a few tea bags, and then tossed in the shorts. I didn't leave them in there an exceptionally long time.

They came out a beautiful, even ivory shade. I've washed them, and they still look fantastic.

It's definitely worth a try, especially when Curt has said it can be used to tone down bright colors as well. Why get rid of something when you don't have to?

I think I am an earth, but I'm just not sure. When I was younger my hair was a lot darker and I was much tanner. But I've always had a lot of red in my hair (it's a dark auburn) and now I'm pretty darn fair in complexion. I tend to like browns and greens (kind of sage tones) and some off-jewel tone colors. It's so hard to find colors that look good on me in the summer/spring. I love shopping when the fall colors come out.

Your hair color definitely sounds like an earth color. Skin tone is what's important - not how light or dark. As you can see from my avatar, I'm rather light skinned myself.

What color are your eyes?

I have been struggling to find the right colors, but I have kind of buckled down in the past month or so, and I'm trying to make sure I don't buy something that isn't right. I'm leaving for my 4 day Bahamas cruise and two day stay in Cocoa Beach next Saturday, and I'm happy to say that I did pretty good picking out my wardrobe. My daughter told me that I could mix and match almost anything I was bringing, which is a very good indication that I'm on the right track.

I have a shirt that is more a spring/fire coral than an earth tone, but it's fairly close. I will probably tea stain it when I get back if I don't have the time before I go. There is also one dress with a white background but earth tones in the print.

Post some pictures! Anita is great at figuring this all out!

Laura...glad to hear the report on the tea staining. I have a peach shirt that is FIRE, ordered online...I LOVE the material and the style and have been contemplating tea staining that as a break into tea staining kind of project. Did you add the tea bags to the water in the sink or to the tea kettle first? And if you added it to the sink, did you add the bags first and then the shorts?

OOoo...Laura...any chance for a pictodiary? Mom is currently doing hers. You know how much we all love to look at pictures!

Chollachick...from what you describe you SOUND like earth...but pictures tell the real story. If you ever feel brave enough to post pictures, I invite you to do so and we can offer opinions. If you are pretty sure you are a warm toned person, I would post a picture of you in an army green kind of color (or other muted green) and a bright coral or caribbean blue color for comparison purposes...for a private internet consultation, Curt is awesome...I highly recommend working with him.

Hi Anita. The tea staining was done in my kitchen sink. I added two tea kettles of boiling water to about 8 tea bags. I then added hot tap water to it so I didn't risk burning myself. I took the tea bags out, and made sure it was well stirred. I added the shorts for about ten minutes, then drained the water out. I let the shorts set about 5 minutes, then I rinsed them in the sink. I felt they really took the stain, but the rinse water was not dark at all. I felt comfortable enough tossing them in the next wash load and they came out great.

I think this is a good option for the dress I got at New York and Company, but I won't have time to do it before the cruise, I don't think.

I set all my clothes out for the cruise on the bed in between changing sheets. I had to put a lot of lights on because the weather here has been nothing but dreary and cool. It makes some of the colors a bit off.

In this picture, the red shirt is by all means a brick red, but brightened up by the lighting a bit. The coral is the spring/fire color I mentioned. The green shirt is an earth color, but it borders on spring. The blue goes to show you that you can't replace everything overnight, lol. :p

IMG_0014.jpg

In this photo, just about all the colors are good, solid earth colors. Those cargo pants look rather pinkish in the photo, but they really aren't. It's a color I have trouble with at times. (think Jane Starr's post with that one color in it)

IMG_0015.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention that pinkish purple color in the print shirt. The brown, beige and ivory are really great, just wish I could change that one color! Sometimes, we have to chose the lesser of the evils until we get everything completely, 100% earth.

Hi, I am loving all the information on this site. I am thinking I am an Earth, but am hoping for some verification. I need to do some serious re-wardrobing, but haven't had the time or money to do it. Plus I want to lose some weight before I do much shopping... but my clothes are getting sort of sad and it's about time to just buy a couple of things.

I am going to try to attach a picture or two so you can see what I look like... let me know what your thoughts on my earthiness... :) My eyes are a very dark brown and I'm wearing a black dress with a pattern of a butterfly on the sleeve.

220991_10150182302320069_726420068_7346392_2786705_o.jpg.cae2bad36fee5a542401fc2b998bc2d6.jpg

241523_10150182299940069_726420068_7346362_7187337_o.jpg.fec02b7d106684d115858fe1eeb56e51.jpg

WOW Laura!!! You look to have a FABULOUS mix and match cruise wardrobe!

I can see how that coral is just a bit bright, but not by much...I bet it is right on the borderline...and Curt would definitely say to tea stain that so that it became a more definite muted color...but seriously, it isn't a huge stand out on the bed...and seriously...neither is that blue...I have a blue like that...actually, DH has a blue like that...I swear it is a warm blue, and it is muted...it is the color equivalent of jeans if jeans were a blue in a knit fabric...LOL...the coral seems more like the thing that is "doing its own thing" than the blue...but the real test is in the photos of yourself.

I would LOVE to see how you mix and match your way through your vacation! You must be so excited! One week away! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Oh! The pink in the print? On my screen it is coming off as that purple/red color that is the big FIRE/EARTH color this season, depending on the dye lot...not pink at all...it looks really good with your color party. :)

Hi, I am loving all the information on this site. I am thinking I am an Earth, but am hoping for some verification. I need to do some serious re-wardrobing, but haven't had the time or money to do it. Plus I want to lose some weight before I do much shopping... but my clothes are getting sort of sad and it's about time to just buy a couple of things.

I am going to try to attach a picture or two so you can see what I look like... let me know what your thoughts on my earthiness... :) My eyes are a very dark brown and I'm wearing a black dress with a pattern of a butterfly on the sleeve.

It's always fun to match a face to a screen name! I know we have talked on the other board. Let me tell you...I don't think black is your color...but this does nothing to help determine between FIRE and EARTH. :)

The fact is that you have the coloring that could definitely be EARTH. OR FIRE. LOL. And until we can make a comparison between you wearing a warm muted color (my recommended army green...but you could go with a definite marigold color or any other definitely muted green color) and a warm clear color (my recommended bright coral or caribbean blue/aqua or any other color you definitely feel is warm and CLEAR), there is no telling what you are. Unless you have an eye like Curt...well, even he usually requires a couple photos for comparison purposes (though he would be likely to know what you are in person)...it is very difficult to tell just by looking at one photo. KWIM

I love that you shared the photo you did though! If you don't have the colors I've mentioned in your wardrobe...raid anything else in your house...whether it be family member's clothes, sheets, towels, table cloths, WHATEVER...drape it like a high school year book photo and let's see the colors against your skin and face!

Good point, Anita. when you put the right color next to your skin and face, it will jump out at you a bit. Another option is brown, although it can be hard to photograph well. (it absorbs the flash rather than reflecting it, so it can come off looking black without being done by a professional photographer)

If you don't mind me asking, Cholla...is that your natural hair color we see? Is it enhanced at all? (I "enhance" mine...mostly because I have unruly gray that tends to throw my coloring off.) Mine is almost my exact natural color though. Funny how I kept trying to change it, and came back full circle!

I will be sure to post pictures when I get back from vacation! I can't believe it's May, and it was about 57 here today. We finally dried out from some heavy rain and flash flooding in areas, only to have it raining again. It's been raining since Saturday, and will continue to do so until this coming Saturday. I'm glad I'll be heading out Saturday morning towards Cocoa Beach!

My hair color is enhanced. I love that term for it... my hair now has so much gray in it that it ages me horribly. My natural color is a very dark reddish brown. The color I am using now is very close to the same color, maybe just a couple of shades lighter. I have tried to go darker, but generally people tell me it washes me out. I don't know if I'm choosing a bad color, or if I should try something new. I'm open. :)

I'll try to find some earth and fire colors and post pictures with them.

That is interesting, but it's true for most people. Curt once was talking about Elizabeth Taylor, and he used her for an example. As you get older and your hair grays, your skin generally lightens up as well. Instead of coloring it your natural color, he suggests you go a shade or two lighter.

I have to agree, that really seems to work.

I can't help but to think you are an autumn/earth, but the color testing is the best way to find out. Just like Anita says!

I just want to let you know that I've tried the tea staining. I was quite nervous about staining white twill shorts, but I figured I'd give it a try since I've been avoiding the shorts because of the color.

I used my sink and a few tea kettles of boiling water. I used quite a few tea bags, and then tossed in the shorts. I didn't leave them in there an exceptionally long time.

They came out a beautiful, even ivory shade. I've washed them, and they still look fantastic.

It's definitely worth a try, especially when Curt has said it can be used to tone down bright colors as well. Why get rid of something when you don't have to?

Hi laurspag,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am a FIRE and am contemplating tea staining all of my white t-shirts (the kind like you might get on vacation).

I think I might give it a whirl.

Any tips?

I think the main thing is to stir the tea, as silly as that sounds. Once you take the tea bags out, you want to make sure the color is spread evenly. Also, I think cotton based items are going to work the best. You could probably try a few shirts that you are the least attached to first. This way, if they aren't what you planned, you won't be as upset.

I actually did two pairs of shorts, but wanted to wash the second pair before commenting. They both came out great. The color you see when you take them out of the tea stain is pretty accurate - it's not like most of it washes out in the laundry or anything.

I figured I had nothing to lose, since I kept avoiding them in the closet because they were white.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi ladies. I've read this thread with interest, being an Autumn/Earth. I happen to love 'our' colours, but agree that sometimes they can be hard to find.

I don't see any mention about make up for our colouring, I have searched and didn't find another thread, apologies in advance if there is one already.

I was wondering what are your favourite shades for Earth colouring? I used to wear the Colour Me Beautiful range, many years ago, but felt limited because I wanted to try other brands and formulas. Im currently struggling to find a blush and a 'go with everything' lipstick, so I'd be especially interested in your recommendations.

I've set a goal to lose some weight before I hit 50 next year, and want to totally redo my wardrobe by then too. I have enough clothes to keep me going for the first 2stone (30 pounds) or so, but I'm looking forward to having a new wardrobe by the end of my weight loss.

I first had my collours done years ago, and stuck with them for about a decade. Then we had the craze for black in the 1990's and I started to wear it. UGH it looks horrible on me!

So, back to my colours, and my goal to have a wardrobe filled with UK size 14's (US size 10 I believe), all in my colours.

Hello Isklaar!

I don't wear cosmetics on a regular basis. I'm a full-time homemaker and part-time Zumba instructor, so make-up generally doesn't mix with my daily routine...so I don't know that I am the most qualified of people to answer this question.

HOWEVER...I DO like to get "made up" at least once a week...and for my Christmas present from my parents, I received a "new face" from my Mom and mine's fav cosmetic line, Trish McEvoy. To do this, we went to the counter in the major department store and had one of those free consultations. The man that was there happened to be the top guru, even for the region; he knew his product, he understood colors. His recommendations for me were fabulous. I would highly recommend this approach. If you have a general idea of what kind of colors SHOULD look good on you, you can see if the makeup artist is following along with that as a kind of test of their knowledge...then you know whether to trust them or not.

For myself, I am a used-to-be-blonde haired, green-eyed EARTH. Most makeup artists want to put purple with my eyes. This man was no exception, BUT he actually had and picked an EARTH purple...NOT a lavender-ish purple...He used a neutral base, added a GORGEOUS topaz kind of brown, and popped the whole thing with this deep, warm, muted violet...this as more of an eye-liner kind of color...the failing of Trish products is that they ONLY stock black mascara...so that was a fail...but we didn't purchase that.

For blush...the color is a warm peach...it looks very pink until you put it next to pink...Trish has a nice range of not too intense blush...I'd have to look to see what the real color name is, but it is in keeping with my fair skin.

Interesting point on the lipstick...my Mom (she's a FIRE...Member123 aka Pam on these boards) had a certain color recommended for her...a very orange kind of color...and she asked this makeup consultant if what he thought of that for me, naming the color by name...he knew the color, and his comment was that it was "too orange" for me...I already had so much orange in my coloring that it would too much...he picked out more of a neutral pink/peach color similar to the blush...and just a shade off of my natural lip color, which I love for how I wear makeup...I wanted something more for day than formal night.

The question about which makeup colors are best for us will really depend on your particular coloring...the main thing will just be to stay in the warm and muted range of colors...and hope that whatever brand of cosmetics you prefer has options of colors across temperature and clarity so that you CAN choose a purple that works for you...

I'm coming up to a milestone birthday myself next year (40)...I TOTALLY relate to the weight loss, the wardrobe make over, etc...I'm in the process of the EXACT same thing...so far I've lost that first 30 pounds and are working toward the second 30/40 pounds...It's not an easy thing to do...I wish you well on your journey!...have you tried Zumba? :D

Hi ladies. I've read this thread with interest, being an Autumn/Earth. I happen to love 'our' colours, but agree that sometimes they can be hard to find.

I don't see any mention about make up for our colouring, I have searched and didn't find another thread, apologies in advance if there is one already.

I was wondering what are your favourite shades for Earth colouring? I used to wear the Colour Me Beautiful range, many years ago, but felt limited because I wanted to try other brands and formulas. Im currently struggling to find a blush and a 'go with everything' lipstick, so I'd be especially interested in your recommendations.

I've set a goal to lose some weight before I hit 50 next year, and want to totally redo my wardrobe by then too. I have enough clothes to keep me going for the first 2stone (30 pounds) or so, but I'm looking forward to having a new wardrobe by the end of my weight loss.

I first had my collours done years ago, and stuck with them for about a decade. Then we had the craze for black in the 1990's and I started to wear it. UGH it looks horrible on me!

So, back to my colours, and my goal to have a wardrobe filled with UK size 14's (US size 10 I believe), all in my colours.

Anita, you make a good point. One thing I would like to stress is that not everyone in a major department store understands the cool/warm thing fully. Don't be afraid to say "I'm warm toned". But overall, it's a freebie - just see what happens!

If you prefer to buy things in your local drug store, I suggest using Loreal Colormatch. The colors are already divided into three categories - warm, cool and neutral. Curt's opinion of the neutral colors were that they were cool, overall.

I went this route, and I did well with a foundation color and blush. Mascara is easy, just buy brown in whatever brand works for you! Some browns are kind of light, so brown/black may be needed.

I struggle greatly with the eyecolor. My daughter did mine up for me once using creams and light browns, and it came out great. I have dark circles though, so I kind of need something to make my eyes pop.

Thanks to both of you.

I'm actually realising that we are all different when it comes to make up products, you're both correct. I was talking to a friend at the weekend who has appears to have similar colouring to me, but we can't wear the same make up colours.

I'm going to check out the cosmetics counters - I think trying them is going to be the only way to be sure.

Thanks for the tip on the L'oreal colour match -I can check that out locally.

Just another question, what colours do you tend to pick for your evening wear? Finding a cocktail/party dress in my colours has been difficult. I'm hoping to do a 17 day cruise next January, there will be 4 formal evenings, so I need to find some nice dresses.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Everybody!

Sorry I've been AWOL so much lately. Been busy planning my DD's wedding which is in 55 days!

Relieved that her wedding gown finally came back in last week and is "fixed". It originally came in 2 sizes too small in the hip and very "Mermaidish" -- which was not what she wanted. Fortunately, today dress fitting appt went perfectly! Phew!

My MOB ensemble just needs a final fitting (mostly of length,strap adjust ment on shell, & to take in hip area. Curt helped me pick out the Earth-flattering gold color and style. Here's a picture of it from today's fitting:

m7xjyc.jpg

Think my hair is now the color Curt envisioned from the day he diagnosed me as Earth! I love it! My hairdresser describes it as Topaz with Strawberry Blonde highlights. You can't really see the color well in the bridal shop lighting above.

Here's a close-up hair picture taken outdoors:

33js85g.jpg

For fun, here's a pic of DD's wedding gown (w/o the sash on it) during 1st fitting:

nzkv2v.jpg

Don't know what season she is (because she wasn't interested in my gift offer of analysis), but she's seems to be cool-toned to me. My other DD let Curt "do her" analysis, and she an Earth like her mom. On the surface, we seem to have very different coloring. She's much darker-skinned than I and has brown eyes vs. my blue ones.

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr