All things EARTH...

I own the Merona tank top from Target in many different colors. They don't take up much room...but I'm going to try to restrain myself from packing too many. I do like to layer them, too... I've pictured my tomato red one with a couple different scarves and two different shorts. I've been showing the ones on the right all day...the ones on the left...well, they are a bit tight and may or may not make it into the suitcase. They are from Athleta and are also that Cargo color. I haven't shown the scarf on the right before...the background is similar to that other Old Navy scarf that I first pointed out to Laurie...but all the different colors in the flowers, etc., are great EARTH colors:

ed243792-ff74-4b8f-b4d2-505adfbc6b47_zps87d0855f.jpg

I wanted to show another tank top...with the same two scarves, plus two more...just to show how versatile all this can be:

f5a23573-87f4-48c4-bec7-799169fb9a58_zps69abfa84.jpg

I would have experimented with some of my other colored tank tops BUT...I had a visit from my Toby kitty...and since I haven't gotten to share my furry friend yet:

P1090458_zpsd068924a.jpg

Isn't he pretty?

Anita, I am loving your pictures! Both of those dresses are beautiful. Your accessories are perfect for them. Isn't it neat how something that Margaret wasn't keen on turned out to be perfect for you? Those shoes, necklaces and earrings are just great choices.

I still haven't finalized my dress choices. One of the reasons you just reminded me of when you posted your pictures. I have some beautiful dresses, but I like variety, and I like to get some prints here and there, even if they aren't the majority of my wardrobe. I've been thinking a lot about those last two casual choices, and another option I have that I kind of forgot about.

I love your bathing suits too. The one you mentioned has those straps that leave your back open? Well, the blue swim dress with the polka dots is like that too, and it makes me uncomfortable. Even though the straps seem grippy, I'm apprehensive. Like your swimsuit, mine is just a backup that I keep but don't really wear. I have three that are decent, then there is the brown one that reminds me that you can run but you can't hide, and the will I keep it on swim dress in the wrong color! :D:D Honestly, I've never had this many swim suits, but sometimes, I never go in the water on a cruise, and I know I will be in the water while I'm in three of the ports, not to count the pool or hot tub.

I'm loving the shirt choices, and how your scarves change up the look completely. With that longer sleeved print one, I probably wouldn't be concerned about having a necklace with it because of the print. I think some earrings is all it will need.

I do love the contrast created by the different colored scarves with the shirts. I am thinking of bringing one or two. I have one that is lightweight and versatile. It's ivory with a gold and brown pattern to it. As a matter of fact, I just wore it over the weekend to dress up a plain top and sweater combo I was wearing. I really want something with more warmth to it though, like your choices.

I've been thinking about that scarf from Old Navy myself. My daughter and I will be at the mall on Wednesday so I was going to check it out in person.

I typically change out of work clothes when I get home, and the things that I change into get re-worn too. I just don't do that much on a cruise, as I either go someplace pretty warm, or have hot flashes!

I'm not sure if I already mentioned this or not, but my husband is letting me choose where we go cruising next year by myself, since I will be turning 50 and I'm hoping to actually be on vacation during that time. I was considering Alaska, but I think I would like more time to work with for that trip. There happens to be a one and only cruise out of San Diego that stays along the Pacific coast and goes to places like Vancouver and San Francisco. There is also a Caribbean itinerary I haven't gone on yet that may be a more likely choice. If we take a 7 day cruise, I stick to simple flight plans so that it is easier for us. If I don't mind an itinerary that I've gone on before a few times but in a longer cruise, I could wait and see what Quantum has available. It's a brand new ship so it is pricier, but we can drive to the port in about 4 1/2 hours.

Or, we can go on Enchantment for a 4 or 5 days cruise, and spend some time at Kennedy Space Center! We went there once, and I can't wait to go back.

Mousey, enjoy the time with your son. My daughter is home this week so I'm taking Wednesday and Thursday off. Wednesday we are going to the mall, and on Thursday, we all managed to get the day off and we are going to this new bowling place called Revolutions!

Now i

Oh, I was posting when you were! Toby is a cutie! I have one cat right now, but she is not exactly a people lover, although she is generally friendly. My dog, on the other hand, is very demanding for attention!

I'm loving your outfits. I am really struggling with my daytime outfits. I think I will feel better when I give myself permission to actually take them out of the under bed storage and leave them out. I have a few super cheap clearance tops on order from JC Penney that might help me a bit. One is a nice olive green that I've been wanting, and it was just $4.99 or something like that. Plus, I had a coupon for 15% off.

Those tank tops look so versatile. You can do so much with them. I have a cute purple Merona one from Target that I want to bring. It's warm, but very saturated with pleats near the scoop neckline. I was thinking of pairing it with the oyster like skort. I also have some shorts it would look good with. I love Target for basic tops.

Where do you find such great scarves???

Blue/Green Watercolor-like: Zappos

Light colored backgrounds with the green/brown and also with the colorful flowers: Old Navy

Purple/Cargo: Kohls

Coral/Purple/Cargo: Target (maybe Kohls)

The Old Navy scarves are lovely. They are big, huge scarves...very filmy and summery. The blue/green one is thin and doesn't have volume. The purple-ish and coral-ish ones are thicker and have more volume. I don't like them in the summer...I like them for the transition seasons best.

I have more scarves and am just now trying to figure out what I'm bringing. I'm definitely bringing the ones I've pictured. Like I said...I typically wear my clothes so many times. And knowing that my plans are to change into a dress for dinner...I'd only be wearing these day clothes during the day...and if I put on swim suit...well, then I'd wear them for even fewer hours...And I'm thinking about bringing a kind of morning outfit...something that I can throw on everyday to wear to latte-land for my morning coffee before sorting out the day...but this wouldn't happen every day either...

So when I think about how long I might actually wear my clothes...The fact is that I just don't see needing that many clothes, not especially if I have such accessories to help me change up my looks. And this isn't a complicated thought...I feel like I'm talking about changing my clothes a lot...but I don't think I'm talking about major time for changing.

I love those filmy, lightweight scarves. I will definitely be checking out Old Navy on Wednesday then. I have trouble find them for this time of the year. Last year, Sam Moon had some great ones. This year, the prints and colors are just not my type at all. I love the ivory with the earthy flowers especially.

We have a Marshalls nearby that has a ton of scarves, but when I was in there just 2 weeks ago, they were all heavy and not really styled for warm weather. They felt winter like. Of course, it is still winter like here...it was 5 degrees when I left for work this morning. :eek:

There is a TJ Maxx in the mall that I was so excited about but then I went in there and was so disappointed. I like nothing, practically. Whenever I walk by it, there is nothing whatsoever that draws me into the store.

Our mall is huge. I will get tired of walking and probably stop short of all the stores I want to check out. More importantly though, it is a fun day with my daughter. I have two months to go back before my cruise if there is something I need.

I saw the red dress in NY & Co. online. It's a $79.95 dress, and it's on sale for $59.95. I just got a coupon in the mall for $20.00 off and purchase of $50.00 or more, and I have a $20.00 reward coupon sitting around that is combinable. It might be worth looking at for $20.00 bucks! But, I don't need it, so it would have to be a great dress. They may have some scarves there as well.

It's funny that I don't get to hit a mall these days. It used to be so easy for me to go to this one mall in Texas. It was less than 10 minutes away depending on whether or not I got caught at a couple of traffic lights. There were literally 2 traffic lights between me and the mall...nowadays, my shopping is mostly online.

I do have another scarf that I bought that is way too bright, but I love it. It's a jersey knit infinity scarf. It's a stripe that is so small, it just looks like texture. It's orange, but it's bright orange. I've kept it and I think I'm going to give the tea dyeing a try with it to see if I can mute it out. Did you tea dye things? I've also read about coffee dyeing...and I'm wondering about that idea as well. DH brews a Keurig cup every morning...I'm thinking about saving some of his cups and double brewing them to get a weak coffee for soaking that scarf. The scarf was so inexpensive...and it's comfy...just too bright.

But my other thought was about using it with my exercise clothes. I have really bright shoes that I wear? Like neon orange Nikes...and this scarf kind of goes with those shoes? And I've thought about how I could "dress up" my work out clothes for running errands before class...and this scarf would fit that bill. BUT...I actually like the scarf so much...I think I'd like to wear it for more than that...plus...the color really is overwhelming on me, so it's not like I'd be dressing myself up to look BETTER with that scarf.

Anita, I tea stained a pair of white twill shorts, and they came out a great warm ivory shade. I love them, but they are longer Bermuda length on me, and I need to get around to shortening them before I can wear them. That length is very unflattering for me, although I thought at the time that the more of my legs I covered, the better they'd look.

I have this scarf that I love also that is too bright. I tea stained it, but it barely took. I never thought of coffee staining. I use my Keurig every day and as dumb as this sounds, I have some regular coffee in the cupboard that has gone stale. It wouldn't be a big deal to get out the regular coffee pot and use it. My scarf won't mind stale coffee!

It is so hard to find exercise clothes in our colors. I have a yoga style pant in brown, but they aren't that heavy on Lycra, so the fit and style is a bit different. They actually look really cute as pants in cooler weather. I just don't wear that kind of stuff outside the house normally but these are cute.

Margaret, I love all your necklaces that you have! I like the necklace that you like better with the red dress. Maybe the other is more "fun" but I really like that pendant on the other one...something about it reminds me of the Blackhawk logo, which is the neighborhood where I lived from 8th grade through high school graduation. You are taking such a variety of tops!

The funny thing is that necklace actually had a different pendant, and I dropped it and broke it. So I replaced it with this one from Michael's, which I like even better.

I'm kind of packing for this trip like I'd pack for Florida, which is to take a variety of sleeve lengths and fabric weights so I can dress for the temperature. Gotta avoid those hot flashes! One year at Christmas I ended up wearing the same two shirts for a week because of how the weather turned out. I wasn't happy.

You know that you will be in Kelly's neck of the woods? I'd have to refresh my memory on your travel plans...

I would LOVE to take Kelly's class, but after traveling all day I just can't see how I could swing it. Friday we'll be spending the day at the Space Center, and our evening at the Kemah Boardwalk. I have a thing for Ferris Wheels!

And a BIG huge congratulations on hitting your weight goal!!

Thank you, I'm very happy about it.

Anita, you have such a fabulous array of swimwear, and tops and scarves. I wish I could wear scarves but with my job they don't really work, and in the warm weather I just can't manage them. I have TONS of scarves to go with my coats because I wear them so much and like to change-up the look. I get so bored with coats.

I really like the pattern-on-pattern element of that first shirt/scarf combo, the light tan/ivory ones? Very interesting.

I like your point about how we wear clothes on a cruise. Especially on sea days I seem to change outfits a lot depending on what we're doing. It's very easy to re-wear things and having a variety of accessories can make that more fun.

Toby is adorable! Miss Dani does look a lot like him but she doesn't have stripes. Oh, but she does have white racing stripes on her back legs. :) And she is surprisingly social and friendly. A first for us.

Laurie, I have to put in a vote for Alaska, it's just a fabulous trip. I may be biased because that was our very first cruise, but it obviously got us hooked and I would love to go back one day. I have to say I'm curious which port you can drive to in 4 hours? Boston? I have to say I've never considered a NYC cruise for various reasons, no matter how convenient it would be.

OK, last post of the night. After several attempts, I think I've mastered the hairstyle I wanted for formal night. Apologies for the bad cell phone photo and the messy bits in the front. I look tired... I need a vacation!

formalhair.jpg.70a345484d05b3d38ef784c4ae9638cf.jpg

Anita, I was looking at your photos again and I have to say that I think that red dress was meant for you. You even have all the stuff to go with it! So I think we should henceforth call it Anita's red dress. :)

I packed everything but my dresses and weighed my suitcase, and it came in at 45lbs. So, I'm thinking I may leave the red maxi dress home and just go casual in capris that night. It is the heaviest by far of any of the clothes I'm taking. Besides, if I want to dance and do the conga line I'll be more comfortable in something else anyway. C'est la vie.

Margaret...Your hair is beautiful! I love that style and the accessories in your hair! So pretty! You are SO CLOSE!! Just in case this is my last opportunity to say so...I hope you have a fabulous vacation! You have my number, so seriously...txt me if you need some last minute help in Texas.

Margaret, I love your hair! My hair never does stuff like that, but I'm not very adept at putting my hair up. Speaking of hair, I haven't had a haircut since November. I have been trying to decide what to do with it. Since I am off with my daughter tomorrow, I made an early morning appointment while she is getting the oil changed on her car. In my mind, it's time to do something different but I'm not sure if that will happen. I am thinking of side swept bangs, and to change the shape a bit. If I could find a picture, I'd be much better off!

Speaking of hair, how is the new cut doing for you, Anita? It must be pretty easy in the morning. I had short hair like that once, and I loved how easy it was. I hadn't had short hair in at least 25 years at that point, so I had trouble getting used to it. I had a thinner face shape back then too.

You must be so excited, Margaret! I know I'm excited for you!

Mousey, I used to do my daughter's laundry a lot too, but since I don't do my older daughter's, I leave her to her own devices these days. She will do it sooner or later - likely just before she heads back to Albany!

Laurie...I love my shorter hair. I'm still not sure that I recognize myself easily...like in the window reflections...I'm getting used to the mirror at home. I didn't make a follow up appt when I had it done because I wanted to see how long I could go in between hair cuts and I noticed this weekend that I need another cut. I'll have to look back to see how long that is. I thought it would be 6 weeks if I waited until right before the cruise. I'm going to call tomorrow so I can get an appt before vacation. I might ask her opinion too on what I could do to jazz it up for our specialty restaurant dinner.

I'm been doing some very serious thinking about my cruise wardrobe...obviously. By serious, I really mean non-emotional, thoughtful, logical, realistic, etc. type thinking. I decided that I needed a skirt that I could throw on with any or most of my tops that I could wear into the MDR. I had been thinking that I would wear a dress each evening...not necessarily fancy...but then I think to myself...get real...I'm not going to totally change for dinner every night. It's easy enough those to just change bottoms.

I found a great skirt today...the only bad thing about the particular skirt is lack of pockets. Depending on how bold I am with my color blocking, this is going with a surprising number of shirts...especially if I use a scarf to pull the outfit together. The color is very borderline...that it...it is pushing at that clear/muted border...but I do believe it is more muted than clear:

1693589_Coral?wid=350&hei=350&op_sharpen=1

If you can imagine this with my red or green tank and the appropriate scarf...it works also with a plum colored tank. I'm undecided with the other shirts that I've pictured so far. I'll have to actually put on the outfit to decide. But I have picked out a couple other short sleeved shirts that work. I'll get it all narrowed down soon.

Meanwhile...this knit is lightweight. I like the idea of coverage. And in particular, due to some likely stress related issues, I need the adaptability of the elastic waist. I really like the angled seams of the skirt. I found it at Kohl's, for those interested. It was in the more junior area.

Anita, that is a nice skirt. I saw a similar one today in a turquoise tone. I was trying to decide if the style would work for me as it was somewhat muted. I decided not to pursue it because I already had enough things for the cruise and I wasn't sure how much I'd wear it at home. I was able to find a few cute scarves for a great price so I'm

Excited to start putting my daytime outfits together.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well...the skirt is just a bit brighter than preferable. I don't know if it's bright enough to work for FIRE as is? I really like the skirt though...the A-line is so flattering. I put it on with one of my tank tops and I was SO COMFORTABLE. I'm keeping the skirt though. I just have to decide if I want to try to do something to mute it out a bit. I think I'll do that scarf first as a test run to see how the process affects the fabric and then decide.

Meanwhile...I started trying on my full outfits...funny how I think that I will like certain shoes with an outfit...but then, when I try it on...no...doesn't work. I think I'll be wearing those orange sandals of mine quite a bit. I may not bring those bronze wedge sandals at all. This could be good because as it turns out, I'm only wearing my new formal shoes for the one night...unless I decide to wear MY new red dress twice on the trip...

And Mom reminded me that we have Zumba on our cruise. They do it on the pool deck...which presents a whole other requirement for clothing and shoes. On our other cruise, I thought that I would exercise and brought quite a selection of exercise clothing...and didn't use any of it. Hmmmm.

On a different note...

I've decided on my nail colors. I'm going to do a super dark blue. It almost looks black in certain lights on my fingers. It's a color from OPI's line with the SFO colors. My toes will be a shimmery blue that looks more blue in one direction and more greenish blue in another direction. It's a color from Channel. I need to look at the bottles to get the names again. I love nail polish names. Really pretty colors. Ok. The dark one is OPI Incognito in Sausalito. The Channel one is Azure. Blues seem very appropriate for a Caribbean cruise!

It's funny how things don't always work like we thing. For example, I bought an orange V-neck knit shirt today, very inexpensive, at JC Penney. It was a heathered orange color. I thought it was borderline fire/earth. I got it home and the thing is neon. NEON! Way, way to strong of a color for me. I'm trying to figure out why it didn't look that way to me in the store. It wasn't a lot of money, but rather than try to tone it down, I think I'm just going to bring it back. What I would really love is a basic in brown or tan. By tan I mean darker than ivory, nothing you can mistaken for white...or darker than ivory.

You have everything so well picked out for your cruise now, overall. I was thinking about my nails the other day. I have a feeling I will look for a metallic gold or that brick red kind of color I had the last time. It went with so many of my outfits. It does seem when I try for gold, I end up with something more yellow. I had a gel manicure the last time. They last great, but I would not do that all the time. Does your polish last for you? Mine doesn't last very well. I think it may be because my nails are a bit thin and to the brittle side. Those little cracks and chips cause the nail polish to start flaking off on me pretty quickly. A gel manicure will last a full two weeks, but I literally have to peel it off, and it takes some nail with it. Then I have to let them grow out fully.

My toes last. And last and last. Generally. No matter what kind of nail polish I use.

For my hands, if I have a metallic polish on my fingers...it doesn't last very well at all. Non-metallic colors last much longer. When I am in practice with doing my nails, and are able to put on thinner coats, then my mani lasts longer. If I end up putting on too thick of a coat at one time...then I can catch that polish much easier against something and a big chip comes off.

My biggest problem seems to be that I get rips in my nails on the side. They catch on something and then that weak point will break a bit and then I have to cut whatever growth I have off. My nails are really short right now. I've been trying to get back into taking better care of my cuticles to get stronger nails growing and also to fight the very dry weather of winter. It's been rough...

I think I have bad habits with the way I use my nails though. I find that when I am wearing polish I really try to change my ways to try to maintain my polish...which leads me to believe that my daily habits are probably the main reason why my nails aren't in such good shape overall.

Since I'm going to be wearing such a dark color, I will probably bring my polish with me to be able to do a little touch up...but I'm hoping that not having to do dishes...and not typing on a keyboard for vacation will help me keep my nails nicer longer than normal.

Store lighting makes me crazy. The skirt I bought is more muted than another skirt in the store...but apparently, just not quite muted enough. I would consider just returning it...but I really like it! It was hard to find something remotely close to what I had in mind and this was almost spot on, so I'm reluctant to give up on it. My debate is whether or not I'm just going to let it be imperfect...or if I dare the consequences of experimental caffeinated dyeing. LOL. The fact is that it's close enough to work okay...I just know that it could be better.

Tan looks terrible on me. I know that sounds so weird to say...but it just does. It's not dark enough...or light enough. I look so much better in richer colors... I do have a brown tee that I picked up at the gap. I've worn it a lot. For a while there, it was a go to item for me...V-neck and everything. If you can find one, I would buy a couple...it's our equivalent of the black tee that goes with everything. I only wish that mine was bit nicer now. Mine is so definitely casual with a tiny breast pocket...I'd like a brown tee in that "flattering" tee shape that is slightly tapered at the waist. If anyone ever finds that...POST!

My nails are short, short, short but my toes are copper for the trip.

I'm off in the morning! yay! Anita thank you for all your Texas help. If all goes well we'll be eating at Frenchies tomorrow night. :)

I'll see you all in a week or so! Have fun while I'm gone!

Anita,

I love your new skirt!:D

I have several of those and a few that have the high/low hem too. I have them in solids and stripes both vertical and diagonal. Don't you just love how comfortable they are with that type of waist? I wear them for casual nights and also dress-up nights. Some of mine have a narrow elastic waist. I love to wear a big shirt over them with a belt that rides low on the hip and then blouson (sp?) the shirt a little over the belt. I love that look (as it helps hide a little tummy issue when I don't feel like wearing a body shaper:eek:).

Some tips about nails. I find that if you swipe a clear top coat over the edge of your nails from end to end...it helps keep your ends from tearing. Also, unless you have an aversion to them...I find that polish with a little glitter in them lasts way longer then regular nail polish. I use them for formal night and they last a long time. They are a little harder to remove though but I don't mind.

I know that you like to travel light...so have you every used the nail polish pens? I have several of them and they are so easy to pack and along with them I take a couple of packs of sheet-type nail polish remover.

And the piece de resistance! I just picked up a Sally Hansen design stick (It's white; I got it at Target for $5). It is very thin like a writing pen and it has a pointy tip. You can use it to make polka dots or swirl it to make creative designs. It's fabulous!:D I'm going to use it over black polish on one finger on each hand to make polka dots. I'll leave all the other digits in plain black. I'll wear it with my black/white stripped maxi skirt and a black peasant top that I'll loosely belt and my flat, black patent, gladiator sandals with my silver hoop earrings, silver cuff, and my silver rings.I'll add a pop of color with a cherry red clutch. I can't wait to wear this outfit!:D

Edited by mousey

mousey...I can picture the look that mean with the belted shirt over the skirt. I can see that being a nice look. I like the way the one shirt of my has the elastic smocking on the hem so that I can place in at a good point on my hips and hide my less then flat tummy...same idea.

I haven't used a nail pen, but I have enjoyed looking at decorated nails...some of them very fancy. I have attempted to do some with the polish I have in the past, but using a pen would probably be so much easier. I think nail art is a really fun way to have personalize a look.

Your outfit sounds like a lot of fun. Very well coordinated.

Just for conversation...and I don't want you to read any negative tone in these questions...I just wonder how long have you known about your best colors? That is, that EARTH colors are your best colors? And I wonder, do you plan to eventually have your wardrobe be EARTH colors only? I know that it can take a while to make that change...even if we desire that change. But some don't necessarily care if they always dress in their colors or not. They just enjoy the knowing for the times that they really care. I ask because your outfit is black...and that just set me to wondering because I don't wear black anymore.

For me, I've been working on this since March 2010. So 4 years now. I pretty much wear EARTH all the time...except for exercise clothing. And I do enjoy that outlet for wearing non-EARTH colors. My circumstances have been conducive to having an entire wardrobe change though with all the weight loss that I had and the move to a different climate. And also the fact that I don't have to have a work wardrobe, etc.

I have one more week until we leave! DH and I were talking last night about our cruise and plans for the cruise. I believe exercise is going to figure more prominently in this cruise and so I need to pack accordingly...I'm going to have to really take a look at the likelihood of how I'm going to be spending my days to plan. Should be a fun weekend! I'm hoping to get it all figured out this weekend.