All things EARTH...

Baby Noah seems to have settled down for a moment, so I will post a few replies to see if pushing us onto the next page fixes the problem I created.

Belated wishing for a :

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Independence Day

And

Happy other Holidays that I've missed.

Jane

(Letting my signature show in order to make this

longer, hopefully)

Feel free to ignore my [feeble] attempts to push us to next page.

As you can see from my signature, we canceled the Alaska Cruise-tour that we were supposed to be taking right now in order for me to help with baby.

Scheduled that (over-priced) Canada/New England cruise from Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ instead. Will get to spend the weekend before and 1 night after cruise with our grandson this way. He'll be 3+ mos old by then

Feel free to ignore my [feeble] attempts to push us to next page.

As you can see from my signature, we canceled the Alaska Cruise-tour that we were supposed to be taking right now in order for me to help with baby.

Scheduled that (over-priced) Canada/New England cruise from Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ instead. Will get to spend the weekend before and 1 night after cruise with our grandson this way. He'll be 3+ mos old by then

Sorry I missed the get-together. The little bits I read in between working on wedding/VT/NJ logistics sounded great.

Our wedding weekend in VT had absolutely perfect weather! Everything was amazing. It's was just bittersweet not having MOH daughter present.

Middle DD handled it better than I. There's a pic that captured our emotions as we waited for the video on MOH giving her speech during the reception that perfectly captured the moment. I will attempt to post in normal size, but will preview before submitting this time.

2wnpz42.jpg

Jane

Awww, Jane! What a cutie pie! Congratulations! There is something so special about having a new baby in the family. You look radiant. I hope the new mom and dad are doing well too.

How beautiful are those wedding photos... and you look spectacular. Such a lovely family. You are right, the bride really rocked that dress! So elegant and timeless. She will be happy about that years from now when she looks back on her pictures.

I'm so glad you shared with us. I've been thinking of you and your busy June.

mousey, eat your yogurt and keep us posted. What a drag, huh?

In EARTH related news, I am wearing Cherry Cherry Bang Bang on my toes, and Color Foil Pink Platinum on my fingers (for the five minutes that my nails will be long enough to paint :rolleyes:).

http://poshnailart.blogspot.com/2012/04/sally-hansen-cherry-cherry-bang-bang.html

http://www.lacqlustre.com/2014/06/new-sally-hansen-color-foil-swatches.html

I also bought the Blue Chrome foil polish (which looks turquoise), so next week, if my nails survive, I'll do teal toes with chrome fingers. I have to add that the chrome polish was hard to get on, and doesn't seem to be holding up well (rubbing off on the tips, esp from typing), even with a topcoat on.

This is my favorite (amateur) photo that I shot at the wedding rehearsal.

Isn't that rehearsal dress Gorgeous? It's from the Encore line by Watters.

The lace is supposed to be iconic Oscar de la Renta style.

2qi1pol.jpg

Here's another view of dress:

2nltjih.jpg

[Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with TinyPic randomly resizing some images into GIANT format when I think I'm doing exactly the same thing each time. Any suggestions?

Really heading up to baby now (I think) :)

Jane

Awww, Jane! What a cutie pie! Congratulations! There is something so special about having a new baby in the family. You look radiant. I hope the new mom and dad are doing well too.

How beautiful are those wedding photos... and you look spectacular. Such a lovely family. You are right, the bride really rocked that dress! So elegant and timeless. She will be happy about that years from now when she looks back on her pictures.

I'm so glad you shared with us. I've been thinking of you and your busy June.

mousey, eat your yogurt and keep us posted. What a drag, huh?

In EARTH related news, I am wearing Cherry Cherry Bang Bang on my toes, and Color Foil Pink Platinum on my fingers (for the five minutes that my nails will be long enough to paint :rolleyes:).

http://poshnailart.blogspot.com/2012/04/sally-hansen-cherry-cherry-bang-bang.html

http://www.lacqlustre.com/2014/06/new-sally-hansen-color-foil-swatches.html

I also bought the Blue Chrome foil polish (which looks turquoise), so next week, if my nails survive, I'll do teal toes with chrome fingers. I have to add that the chrome polish was hard to get on, and doesn't seem to be holding up well (rubbing off on the tips, esp from typing), even with a topcoat on.

Thanks, Margaret!

I agree about eating that yogurt and maybe taking some probiotics to avoid a yeast infection. I get them to prescribe diflucan for me whenever I have to have an antibiotic; it prevents me from getting a yeast infection. You may want to ask about that, if you are prone to them.

Baby settled back down and is just now really awaking. His mommy is in the shower. He just made the loudest "big man" fart sound, so I think a diaper change is next LOL!

21owyzk.jpg

Jane...your photos are lovely. I haven't been to a wedding in several years. How fun. That orchid bouquet is AMAZING! SO lovely. That blue on you! Such a find for EARTH! And it looks fantastic. You are stunning as well. :cool: And congrats on the new baby in the family. Awww.

Fun nail polish Margaret! That blue reminds me a lot of the blues that I have. They alter in the their tone depending on the angle of the light. Mom has a funny story about that...

mousey...definitely take a long some probiotics. Mom got some very good ones. She should share...you want to support your immune system, especially for being in such close proximity with so many people and traveling (you have air travel too?)...you'll be a bit compromised with the antibiotics...so be extra careful with yourself on your cruise.

I really enjoy wasting a lot of time on that chicisimo site. So many good ideas there and the way that you can search through and filter the looks that people have posted is good for me.

My hair is making me a bit nuts. Growing out hair is not fun...I feel like I have a big mop on my head...no style...it's not quite long enough to really keep it anywhere I want. I'm going to be making some headbands for Kim with the African fabric...definitely thinking about making a few for myself (not necessarily with your fabric Kim!) so that I can tame the mane. :rolleyes:

Anita, thanks for the link to chicisimo. It gave me some ideas and I pulled some options from my closet, including the purple tank you remembered. I was looking on Pinterest but the outfits I was finding were more dressy than I wanted. I'm looking for more of a casual daytime look. I like the idea of pairing the lace skirt with denim for late summer/early fall. It's also perfect for our weather at that time of year. For now my favorite choice is my brown tshirt that has a scoop neck with a twisted kind of detail around the edge.

Laurie, did the awful weather miss you yesterday? There was a tornado upstate and some severe storms to the north of the city, but we didn't even have rain here. I hope you and yours are ok.

OMG. I purchased the Style Statement book on October 15, 2011. :eek:

What does that say about me?

I only discovered this because I heard from someone that you can get a discount on the Kindle version of a book that you purchase...and I wanted to see I could get that discount on this book...but I'm not seeing a discount.

October. 15. 2011.

That's almost 3 years ago. OMG.

Hello all! I thought I was busy, but all of you have been much busier on this thread! Sorry I've been MIA. I'm covering someone at work in addition to my own job, and we had an almost tornado again. This one was pretty scary. I was still at work and so was someone else, but we thought it best to stay put rather than drive and be out in the middle of something like that. At first I thought that we lucked out again. Then at 6:30, I headed home...

It took a very long time, since so many streets were blocked off for downed trees and power lines. Many trees were ripped right out of the ground, roots and all. My street was unscathed, but many others were not so lucky. In my particular area, they are saying it was a strong storm with at least 6 MPH winds, but not a tornado. Unfortunately, not too far over in the next county, it was a confirmed tornado and 4 people died. This is not the kind of weather we normally get.

Jane, your grandson is beautiful! I love that teal sweater set you are wearing in the one picture with the beautiful necklace. What a great color for you.

Your daughter's wedding was absolutely beautiful. You must be so excited with all the events that have been going on!

Mousey, I hope your arm gets better soon. When do you leave for your trip? I am no fan of bugs, but in the few times one has been on my bed, they've freaked me out. I hope your son gets better also, and that he has no inclination to do this again. ;) It's funny, my 26 year old does not drink at all. Ever. She may take a sip of something to try it, and that is it. My younger daughter is 22 and she doesn't mind drinking, lol. That being said, she doesn't get drunk. She's had a few times when she has, and she's learned her lesson. She generally has one or two when she goes out, and she does not drive if she drinks.

Margaret...lace skirts are so pretty! Sometimes, the styling dictates the shirt a bit. I like the idea of a more basic solid colored shirt. Maybe a boatneck 3/4 sleeve knit? Or a sleeveless tank? I can very much see you with a cardigan on with it. There is something about pairing an understated basic shirt that I think will let the lace be the star of the show. I tried on an ecru (looked tea stained) a line, but it just wasn't the right length and style for me. Boy, I wanted that so bad! I was thinking that should it go on sale or clearance and they happen to have my size, I might be able to make it into a straight style. I can't wear a pencil skirt, but if it is straight and not overly fitted, it may work. I know I will still have the issue that it isn't a darker, saturated color.

I love the larger pictures, Jane. I wouldn't try to change and settings! I like being able to see a picture well and see the details. They are fabulous!!

I will check back her soon, maybe in just a bit. I'm still waiting for my new necklace to show up to see how it works with my green dress.

Thanks everyone for all the heads up regarding probiotics. I've never gotten a yeast infection from taking antibiotics but I don't want to take a chance this time. I haven't had a yeast infection in years and years. It would be my luck to get one now.:mad: I just finished taking a series of antibiotics for my gum surgery and now this...if it ain't one thing it's another. I'm going to go on my cruise no matter what! LOL!:D

I love that metallic nail polish and plan to buy some today when I go to the dentist. I hate going to the dentist with a passion. I love my dentist...but. Yeah that's right I'm having an inlay done today.:eek: Like I said...if it ain't one thing, it's another.

The bug bite or whatever it is doesn't seem to be spreading but it does still itch a lot. Wah...I probably sound like baby Noah crying. LOL!

Keep posting pictures...I love them.

Wow, that tornado was a bummer...4 people killed. :( I'm glad it didn't affect any of you too much.

So, I tried on my lace skirt and paired it with one of my peasant blouses (this one has a wide, elastic bottom) and it looks pretty good. I'll wear it later with a tank and either a cardigan or my jeans jacket (you know I don't like to show my arms):eek:.

So excited to cruise soon!!!:D

Thanks everyone for all the heads up regarding probiotics. I've never gotten a yeast infection from taking antibiotics but I don't want to take a chance this time. I haven't had a yeast infection in years and years. It would be my luck to get one now.:mad: I just finished taking a series of antibiotics for my gum surgery and now this...if it ain't one thing it's another. I'm going to go on my cruise no matter what! LOL!:D

I love that metallic nail polish and plan to buy some today when I go to the dentist. I hate going to the dentist with a passion. I love my dentist...but. Yeah that's right I'm having an inlay done today.:eek: Like I said...if it ain't one thing, it's another.

The bug bite or whatever it is doesn't seem to be spreading but it does still itch a lot. Wah...I probably sound like baby Noah crying. LOL!

Keep posting pictures...I love them.

So excited to cruise soon!!!:D

I'd definitely take probiotics or at least eat lots of yogurt with live cultures, considering you're on a consecutive round of antibiotics.

You don't have to ask twice for photos LOL. Here's one from earlier today:

2nbayyt.jpg

Noah does have this pathetic little cry: Wah...Wah...it sounds hoarse. Not too serious.

Here's a collage I put together of my wedding/event planner/friends baby shower decor that doubled as baby fashion:

http://instagram.com/p/qRwwzfxt7X/

Edited by JaneStarr
Yay...we're on a new page with normal width!

Jane,

Baby Noah is so cute! Love the decor for the Baby Shower! Great idea.

Thank goodness I'm done with the dentist! I HATE going to the dentist. Now all I have left to have done this month is a cleaning.

WOW. One week for mousey and Kim. OMG. Time flies.

I had a brilliant idea for dealing with the Style Statement book, but it is simply not going to work...I was thinking I could get the electronic version of the book and copy and paste the questions...but they have security measures on the file and so you can't copy it. Ah well. If I'm going to do it electronically, I'm going to have to do it myself...

Margaret...I love the IDEA of having the book in my hands...writing in it...having it be a sort of journal of thoughts...I love books...I do prefer a book to my Kindle...but I do appreciate my Kindle at times...but with the Style Statement book...I find that I get a bit upset with the way that my handwriting looks...and if I make a mistake with a word...and if I don't love the wording that I used...I do like to write...and so my answers were more composed than thoughts...and now I look at some of what I wrote and I would change what I wrote...that is, a new thought comes to mind...I would answer the question from a different angle altogether...I might just have to try to get over myself and see what I can do. What a quirky thing...

It's one reason why I have never been able to keep a journal. I've tried several times in my life. It just doesn't work for me. I am too self correcting and critical to do it...I'm not with everything...but there is something about handwriting. I used to have to restart my letters to my Grandma's all the time...back in the day when I would write...I would start, restart, restart...I would go through stationary paper in a bad way...I would especially hate it if my lines started to go crooked and wouldn't be straight across...

My SIL texted me and asked if I had any boxes leftover. She is also moving. She is in contract on a house and should be closing in about a week.

So here's the funny thing. I don't have leftover boxes. I have boxes. I don't throw boxes away. I have boxes that are 30+ years old. Yes, she can borrow some boxes. And I want them back.

I wonder what all of that says about my style? A constantly self editing box horder?

Laurie...how's the new jewelry with your green dress?

I just took those quick with my phone but I think they look accurate. I look forward to trying it on again and then seeing how the jewelry looks with it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well, those pictures are a little small. I used my phone. I will take better pictures later. But I do really love both with the dress. Since I aiming to make this dress feel more formal, I will probably go with the first necklace.

It's funny how I was looking around in my closet, and this somewhat newer shirt I have for work kept getting my attention. What I like is, it isn't strictly a work shirt. I had this sudden idea to pair it with these linen pants I had, and it looks like it would be great for a cruise. The last cruise, I did not need any special clothes for cooler days, but there was one night I put on those linen pants. I used to always get so cool at night on a cruise, but not so much anymore. It must be the hot flashes or something!

Mousey, how are those bug bites doing? I hope they are clearing up for you.

I love those baby pictures, Jane. Keep posting!

Anita, I am still determined to get the Style Statement book. It does sound like I would end up needing the actual book? I love using my Nook. I need to download some books for work soon. I've gotten some great info from some leadership classes, and a few books have been suggested to me. It will be nice to have something fun to work on in between!

Laurie,

Love both necklaces!

Anita,

Everything you said about writing is exactly true of me also. ;) If you've noticed (or not) I rarely post a reply that I don't go back and edit. LOL! The box hoarding trait you share with my DH! LOL! We'll be reusing ours once again when we move the DS back to college.

As for my bites...ugh! They still itch like crazy and my right arm is still red. But thank goodness the swelling has gone down. I was just putting away my medical paperwork from when I went in on Tues. and I noticed that the doctor wrote that I had been bitten by an unknown insect (I say it was a spider) and had an allergic reaction. She also noted that it had caused me to have Cellulitis. I looked it up and yep...that's exactly what this looks like. So I'm taking my antibiotics religiously even though they make me tired and I can't go out in the sun. Thank goodness I'll be done with them on Friday...the 1st day of our cruise. I won't be in the sun though.

I'm rethinking my outfits for the trip. I think I'm going to change a few of them and go even more casual. It's hot here in CA...like in the 90s some days. So I know it's going to be hot in Mexico. I really want to just be comfortable on this trip and keep my daytime clothing light and airy. So I'm going to switch a few things around. The DH is going to go with the DS on Sunday to caddie for him in a golf tournament that he's entered. So, I'll have all day Sunday to just play dress up! Yea.

Have a great weekend everyone!:D

Edited by mousey

I just took those quick with my phone but I think they look accurate. I look forward to trying it on again and then seeing how the jewelry looks with it.

Both are stunning, Laurie!

Jane

Both necklaces look great! Isn't that fun to have things work together even if you don't originally plan on it? I think that is one of the side benefits of keeping to a palette that is cohesive in some way...EARTH being warm and muted...there are unexpected pairings that look great together!

Last night I sat down with my Style Statement book and decided I would just do it. Stop making excuses and just work on it...ignore my handwriting, etc...and I found that I had done this before!...so I had done much more than I had remembered or given myself credit for...and was in fact in the analyzing stage toward the end...I could see how I was getting off track there and had quit. Well...I filled in some questions that I had skipped...did the analysis again...and OMG...I HAVE a Style Statement!

It's so me!

Except that it isn't. The definition that the book gives for one word throws me off a bit...because I don't associate myself with the word...but I definitely do the definition. I asked DH to read it and he was like, yeah...that's you. So...I'm going to have to come to terms with some things associated with my first word. I do already...but I guess my big...IDK...upset, you could say, is that I feel so not a representative of that word in some of the other things that I associate with it. So I've been studying the recent things I've done with the house...and I'm thinking that I am more like the word than I think...and yet, my wardrobe is a far, far cry from it...

and yet...

my most favorite outfit (formal wear) of all time is exactly what I would associate with the word.

So how funny is that? Maybe this is why I feel so off...anyway...totally thrilled over here.

You've intrigued me, Anita. I think I need to go buy one of these!!!

And I agree about the idea of mix and match in our palette. I find it so easy to put things together. I know that I have some fire things here and there, but most everything else is earth, and I can change the whole look of an outfit by the accessories, which is so fun for me.

My husband is away for the weekend so my daughter and I are heading to the mall. My dog is all cuddled up next to me. He makes it so hard!

So many things to celebrate here today. :)

Laurie, gorgeous necklaces as usual. I have to say, though, that the first one really speaks to me. I think it really ups the game of that dress, which is perfect to begin with. Can't wait to see photos of you in it on your cruise! You'll have to share with us what you see in the mall today that strikes your fancy.

mousey - so glad to hear your arm is improving! I envy you the fun day you have tomorrow, playing with your wardrobe. One more week, yay!

Anita - woot woot! You know, I really pondered over one of my final words. I got out the dictionary and thesaurus and spent time thinking about the variations in meaning and the subtleties of my final two choices for the first word. It's totally in keeping with my style statement why I chose the one I did. :) I understand what you said about not being satisfied with some of your associations with the word. I think that's why one's SS is so hard to share... others are not exposed to the process by which you came to that word and it's particular meaning TO YOU in the context of the second word. We'll have to talk about all this when we see each other next....

It reminded me of what I tell my students all the time. We work with them a lot on vocabulary building and weaning them from those darn digital translators (you can always tell when they use one). I often hear "Margaret, why are there so many words in English?" And I reply that it's because there are nuances we capture by using the right one. Of course then I have to talk about what nuance means. LOL

As for thinking your process is quirky, I think everyone's is. We are all writers in our own way and that's what makes it so interesting, both to do and to read. To have a process, and know what it is, is a valuable insight all its own.

I got my latest Vogue on Thursday, can't wait to see if it holds any treasures for us!

Edited by MJC
typo

Laurie...the book is a major exercise...in thought. It can be hard to objectively look at yourself. I think that one reason why it was so very difficult for me to do is because I often don't feel very satisfied with myself. I have felt that disconnect between the inner me and the life I live in certain aspects of life...and yet, when I analyze myself and life...there isn't too much that I would change about the decisions made.

So the very cool thing about this Style Statement for me is to realize that. I don't really have an regrets...those "wish I would have" thoughts...but I DO have the desire to prioritize the inclusion of the things that will help me have a greater satisfaction in my day to day. And also to frame my daily experience in such a way that realizes that things are good in Anita-land...they could be better...and now I know where to focus my energies so that I can fill the void, so to speak...and end the day feeling better about my circumstances.

All that from a book!

Here's the deal...you COULD get the book on your Nook (if it is available)...but you wouldn't be able to use the book like a workbook...so if you had a separate notepad, or used a computer...then you could write or type your answers to the questions there...the authors of the book want you to use the book...write all over it...paste pictures in it...etc etc. But if you aren't the type to do that...then no big...get the electronic version...think and think and think...and record your answers in a different way.

Others didn't share their Style Statements online, so I'm feeling that I shouldn't too. Debbie said what hers was at the Meet but I only remember one word for sure.

I'll have to do that google search for images...and see what pops up.

Just catching up. I am LOVING all the photos on here!

Congrats on all of your "happenings", Jane.

Laurie and Anita, is all well in animal land now? I know ours are like kids, we truly do love them and they are so much a part of our lives.

Mousey, hope you're healing. Have fun on your cruise and don't forget--- "pictodiary", as I always say.

Margaret, always interesting to see your photo postings. I just don't have the style presence to appreciate style. I just K.I.S.S., hope the color is right and the fit isn't bad and I got a good deal. My style statement, I guess :D

Can I ask why a style statement isn't readily told? Is there a secret thought I'm missing about it?

I love how much many of you write on here. I'm more of a "talker" and not a writer. I have too many thoughts and it takes me too long to type them all. I can sure talk a mile a minute though :eek: