Review: Liberty 2/19/11 w/PICS

Woke up the next day in San Juan. We were only in port here until 2:30 p.m. so we decided to just walk to Old San Juan. Loved the old architecture and the cobblestone streets:

SDC13999.jpg

SDC14001.jpg

SDC14002.jpg

Cool fountains in a couple of plazas we came upon. There was also a bunch of vendors selling stuff.

SDC13998.jpg

SDC14004.jpg

What the heck?:

SDC13992.jpg

After walking around a little, and doing some shopping, it was about 12:30. It was also about 90 degrees. We always wanted to see one of the forts and struggled with whether to do it or just head back to the ship. I'm glad we decided to go to the fort. San Cristobal is within easy walking distance of the pier. It was $3 per adult and free for the kids. Best bargain going. My 13 yr old declared that it was the best thing we have ever done on vacation. I can't say I disagree.

SDC14006.jpg

SDC14014.jpg

Great views from the top:

SDC14016.jpg

Infantry quarters:

SDC14038.jpg

These are real!:

SDC14039.jpg

Highest point of the fort:

SDC14044.jpg

We could have stayed at that fort all day. So much interesting stuff and beautiful views:

SDC14048.jpg

SDC14042.jpg

Spanish Artillery Officer

SDC14032.jpg

This is a model of the Santa Maria, which apparently sank off the cost of Haiti because its 13 yr. old helmsman fell asleep! That's right 13!

SDC14031.jpg

Alas, time was running short so we had to head back to the ship:

SDC14055.jpg

Love the view of El Morro as we sail away:

SDC14070.jpg

Now a couple of things about Labadee.

1) Seems like everyone gets off the ship and they all need towels. So either get up early and get your towels, do it the night before, or do what we did and just go to the gym and take the yellow/cream colored towels. Made it easy to find our chairs.

2) Being bad parents, we forgot to book the Arawak Aqua Park excursion until the night before. Tried to do it on the TV. Sold out! Uh oh. Disappointed kids... Figured we could work something out the next day. We did. Just went to the desk at the park and gave the guy $10 extra. He fit them in for the 2:00 group. Nice.

3) The Aqua Park is located at Columbus Cove (furthest beach on bay side) if you don't want to walk through the artisan's village where they are VERY aggressive, stay to the right and you can take a path right to the beach. We didn't know this and had to walk through like we were in the NYC subway, head down, no eye contact. You can also take the tram and a jeep like thing. But we like to walk. Once at the beach, pay one of the guys $10 and he will set up your chairs. We were right at the water's edge.

4) all the food, drinks and wait staff come from the ship. Really good barbeque food (ribs, chicken, salads). We even saw our waiter going to the beach.

5) Labadee is clearly man-made, but it doesn't take away from the beauty. As you ventured out in the water which was pretty shallow, the sand got kinda squishy. Ick.

SDC14127.jpg

SDC14125.jpg

Kids loved the Aqua Park:

SDC14132.jpg

SDC14129.jpg

I don't know how true is is, but as I was exploring, I overheard people talking about how the ocean side beach was closed for swimming because of sharks and barracuda! I did notice that nobody was swimming on that side.

Leaving Labadee, didn't get to go to Dragon's Breath. Oh well, gives us a reason to go back.

SDC14144.jpg

SDC14146.jpg

Best sunset of the cruise:

SDC14182.jpg

SDC14181.jpg

The last sea day was very hot. Spent a nice relaxing day on a lounge chair baking and dipping in the Solarium pool to cool off.

We had a great cruise. Laughed, swam, had some drinks, gambled a little, were entertained, got a tan, and had just a wonderful vacation. I know cruising is not for everyone, but if you can't find something fun to do on a cruise you are very hard to please. I can't get the waiter's high pitched Labadoozie call out of my head!!!

Now, for those who absolutely need to find something bad:

This lime wedge was on the jogging track as I walked by, tisk-tisk:

SDC13765.jpg

Rust on the helipad area, tisk-tisk:

SDC13814.jpg

Finally, for the fashion police, saw this guy going into MDR and nobody stopped him:

SDC14184.jpg

Very strange artwork all over the ship:

SDC14101.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my review as much as I liked doing it. For those of you going on the LOS soon, enjoy yourself. Now I have to start planning the next one.

Thanks for the review, especially the photos. Great to see some of the improvements since her dry dock. 70 days from now we'll be sailing on her out of Barcelona. And then in Oct we'll be bringing her back from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.

Great review and great pics! :)

Enjoyed it alot! I've had a lot going on the last month and your review got me really psyched up for our next cruise.

Love the pic at the port at the beginning of your review.

Thanks Bionicman. That means a lot coming from you. BTW how is your pooch doing since his eye surgery?

Thanks Bionicman. That means a lot coming from you. BTW how is your pooch doing since his eye surgery?

He's doing much better. We see improvement each week and he has a good amount of hair growth over the eye area now. Between his surgery, work going on and being out of town for 10 days last month, this is only the second time I have been on this site in a month I think. We have a 10 day cruise on the Jewel next month (Southern Caribbean) and I honestly haven't even thought much about it. Your review got me all excited for it. I'm ready to pack and go :D

He's doing much better. We see improvement each week and he has a good amount of hair growth over the eye area now. Between his surgery, work going on and being out of town for 10 days last month, this is only the second time I have been on this site in a month I think. We have a 10 day cruise on the Jewel next month (Southern Caribbean) and I honestly haven't even thought much about it. Your review got me all excited for it. I'm ready to pack and go :D

Glad to hear he is better and you are back. I will be waiting for your review of the Jewel, we are considering the Southern route for our next cruise.

Glad to hear he is better and you are back. I will be waiting for your review of the Jewel, we are considering the Southern route for our next cruise.

The review will be coming shortly after we get back on the 18th of April and I'm sure it will be long! (I'm going to try to control myself, but I'm shopping for a new lens right now so I'm sure I'll have a couple thousand pics :eek::D)

Oops forgot to comment on debarkation. We did self assist and went to deck 4 at about 8:30 am. We had an 11:35 flight out of MIA. We dinged out:( and walked down the the ramp to the terminal. We waited with about 50 other people in a line to go downstairs to customs for about 20 minutes. Customs was smooth. There were two lines (go to the far line it moved faster). The customs agent merely asked if we ourchased anything while on our vacation, we gave him the declaration form and we were out the door. Long line for a taxi to the airport. After about 15 min. we were in the cab. MIA was a zoo! Luckily we were priority and had a shorter line (not much) because we might not have made it to the gate in time. Once we reached the gate, after about 5 min. the plane started boarding

I would definitely leave more time between debark and flight next time.

Thanks. 4 nights is not enough you will want more!;)

I know the problem is it's never enough for me!!! Just got off Oasis and 7 nights is way too short for that ship, I did 8 nights on Indy last year which was perfect!!

Archived