chair hogging in courtyards?

Tanless

1st rule of being a jester: Don't giveth if you can't taketh

2nd rule of being a jester: If you have to explain it, then it wasn't that funny

That is cute! More people should have that motto -- life's too short! :D

I agree that there are rude and classless is in every economic level but I think when we book courtyard villas and suites we understand the nature of where we are staying and what needs to be applied to a small area meant for discriminating taste. This group did not seem to realize that it was a wonderful opportunity and had no clue how to behave when they go it!

Just saw your signature and see that you are leaving in 2 days shouldn't you be packing?:eek::D lol I hope you have a great time and your courtyard experience is much more pleasant this time!

OP - I really don't think you need to worry. Yes, there are a few incidences of things gone badly but I think this is far and few between from what I have read on CC and what our experience was on the Pearl.

Just saw your signature and see that you are leaving in 2 days shouldn't you be packing?:eek::D lol I hope you have a great time and your courtyard experience is much more pleasant this time!

OP - I really don't think you need to worry. Yes, there are a few incidences of things gone badly but I think this is far and few between from what I have read on CC and what our experience was on the Pearl.

I think on the Jewel it is more the norm.

Thanks...we are in a courtyard again on the Jewel so I will be reporting it all when we get back. My experience the first time was very "suite" even with the dirty diapers. I do enjoy the suites on NCL so much more than HAL ( although I do like the Neptune Lounge) and what Carnival calls a suite with zero perks! I will pack tomorrow, I still have the suitcases here from the last cruise :)

The problem is those 2 bedroom rooms in the Courtyard area. (IMO) They allow up to 6 in that room. I can not imagine stuffing that many people into that room, but they do. It seems cause of these rooms, you get large families. There was one with a Mom, Dad, Grandmother, and 3 kids.. The Mom , and Dad were worthless in keeping kids in check. In fact I am not sure who was worse.. kids or Mom/Dad. THey just felt like they owned the place. The Grandmother.. tried very hard to hush the kids..And even told the parents to be quieter. It is such a small area.. I can't get that point across more. If it were just couples in all those rooms, there would not be a problem...and for such a little area.. they should have thought about this , and only offered 2 people rooms up there.

There are so many things about this ship , that I wish they would have thought about while building their ships.. There was someone recently that said she thought she would like to wake up to the view from the window from her bed..vs the bathtub.. wow I could not agree more!

I really wanted to like this cruise line.. I really liked the owner on that show .. Undercover Boss... But I just have to say that Carnival is better.. Price, service, food.

This is my first post and I signed up over a week ago, I just couldn't resist responding to this comment.

Is this person for real, can someone really be that misinforrmed? I'm glad she is going with Carnival in future, that way my family of 5 in May won't have to deal with her...

I am not the biggest courtyard fan. I don't sit out on deck, I would rather eat at a restaurant or in my suite than in the courtyard, but I book courtyard access for my hubby (who likes to occasionally relax and read outside) and for the hot tub, as I won't go into the more public ones on the pool deck. On my last sailing, on the Jewel, it seemed that one family with two children monopolized the pool and hot tub. Every time we tried to use the tub, one or both children was in it, and running back and forth from it to the pool, and they usually had the tub filled with toys, floating all around - with no parents in sight most times; not my idea of relaxation. We also tried to use it late night a couple of times, only to find it closed. After I returned and posted my review, some people replied that children are not allowed in the courtyard hot tub (on the Jewel at least). So, does anyone know about these rules? since we never made it into the hot tub all week, I never got to read the "rules sign", so truly want to know if this is the case. I would never want to impose on anyone else's fun on vacation, but would love to use the hot tub at least once without babysitting (no offense to parents, I am one myself).

Robin

We were on the Pearl last week with the Courtyard. There were many families in the Villas as the ship was full. We had a wonderful experience as all families kept their children in check and were supervised. The Butlers were in and out of the courtyard a great deal of the time, during the day and night. Even the hotel manager/director walked through both in the day and evening talking with courtyard passengers. I wonder if this has been addressed by others with NCL of issues in the courtyard. It did appear the courtyard was being somewhat monitored for any troublesome issues. We were very comfortable and had plenty of room to enjoy. Just providing our experience.

Last June we went to Alaska on the Pearl. We booked a Romance suite and were lucky enough to score an upsell to the OS. With that came access to the courtyard. We went up there 3 times. Once for the cocktail party, once to "check it out" and once specifically to use the Jacuzzi. Outside of the party, the two times we went up there, a mom was allowing her two kids to stay in the Jacuzzi forever. Each time folks in the courtyard looked at us as if we were intruders who snuck in. Not that it mattered, just saying......... It was Alaska (chilly,) and the OS actually had better views then the courtyard open deck, so we stayed around our cabin when underway anyway.

We didn't like the theatre seats for the suite guests, so only sat in them the first night. The last day we got to a show late, and went up to those seats. Some "nickel Napolean" behind us informed us the seats were for Courtyard guests only. I laughed. He kept it up, so I smiled and said "go talk to Ryan" (the concierge.) He shut up, guess he figured if I knew Ryan, I was one of the "Inner circle."

I really don't have a point. I can tell you that most folks with serious money, and that are used to the whole bulter/concierge lifestyle wouldn't be cruising on NCL (or CCL, RCL, you know what I mean.) You get what you get when you chose to go economy.

" I can tell you that most folks with serious money, and that are used to the whole bulter/concierge lifestyle wouldn't be cruising on NCL (or CCL, RCL, you know what I mean.) You get what you get when you chose to go economy."

Gosh good point. The only thing is my parents for instance (who have serious money:) ,sailed on the Seabourn recently in Italy- 7nts. They paid 7,000 for a balcony room . True a suite on that cruise would have been about 12k. They sailed on NCL , and paid 8,000 for an OS room -7 nights. The service on the Seabourn was wonderful, and on the NCL ship , so-so. I think on a classier ship the lower cost, say balcony rooms are on par with say ncl's suites service. So I am NOT totally sure you can not compare them.

" I can tell you that most folks with serious money, and that are used to the whole bulter/concierge lifestyle wouldn't be cruising on NCL (or CCL, RCL, you know what I mean.) You get what you get when you chose to go economy."

My parents were comparing though, cause the way NCL puts out their upper rooms, they felt like maybe they could compare. But they can't. And they will never go back.

My experience is limited to two cruises, on the Jewel (Dec 2009) and the Epic (Feb 2011). Both ships were nearly full. On both cruises, use of the Courtyard and its facilities was positively a pleasure.

I was starting to wonder if my experience in a CYV on the Pearl was a rarity. We honestly can't imagine how it could have been better.

Archived