chair hogging in courtyards?

Tanless

This question occurred to me while reading another thread, but I didn't want to take that most excellent thread off on a tangent: Does chair hogging occur in courtyard areas or is this behavior unique to the public areas? Just curious.

I have heard this happen.

I know a couple who were in one of the Courtyard Suites and they said the courtyard was continually taken over by a large extended family traveling together.

The adults basically took over the chairs and pool and the kids took over everything else. They apparently left the kids for hours on their own and the partying went on through the night.

They mentioned that the Butler was running ragged and didn't have much time for their requests, as the family kept him very busy.

This kept them from ever booking a courtyard again, as they recently went back to a Romance Suite.

Since you have no idea who your fellow courtyard passengers will be, they can be just as selfish as anyone else you may encounter on the ship.

Of course the first thing they will say is that 'we paid for this service'. Somehow people forget that you paid too.

Since the courtyard really isn't that big, they felt over run and didn't use it.

We were recently on the Jewel in a Romance Suite on deck 10 with a huge balcony. We remembered their story when we booked and were perfectly happy.

Our Jewel cruise in January we had a courtyard villa and were unfortunate enough to have a very large family(7 adults and 4 small children) that not only monoploized the chairs but felt the need to change dirty diapers on the lounge chairs with no towel or protection on the lounges. It was in my opinion disgusting. Not to mention they let their small children run around naked. When I very politely asked them to please be more considerate with the diaper changing since I maight want to lie down on that lounge they told me.."hey we were upgraded to these rooms and we can do what we want" The moral of my story is they did not pay what most of us pay for those rooms, so maybe NCL should hand people a book of common courtesy rules when they do upgrades and upsells.

mommyto2girls-I think I would have taken these issues up with the hotel director ESPECIALLY since you paid for your suites and they were "upgraded"! I certainly wouldn't want to rest on a lounger that someone was changing dirty diapers on!!! Some folks just don't have any common sense.

This happened in the Courtyard area on a cruise I was on in Feb. They had many of their belongings on the chairs. They were a nice couple.. but it still was not right. And speaking of prices paid .. they had the least costly room up there..(one bedroom), and she went on , and on on how little she paid for the room. Not to mention there was a few large families in the courtyard which made it noisy..and they took over the eating tables playing games? There is a perfectly large room upstairs (Concierge room),with games, etc for families to use. They didn't have to take over the tables meant to be used for eating. It just isn't worth the price of those rooms. Sure maybe you won't run into same things I did.. but I would never take that chance again.

Our Jewel cruise in January we had a courtyard villa and were unfortunate enough to have a very large family(7 adults and 4 small children) that not only monoploized the chairs but felt the need to change dirty diapers on the lounge chairs with no towel or protection on the lounges. It was in my opinion disgusting. Not to mention they let their small children run around naked. When I very politely asked them to please be more considerate with the diaper changing since I maight want to lie down on that lounge they told me.."hey we were upgraded to these rooms and we can do what we want" The moral of my story is they did not pay what most of us pay for those rooms, so maybe NCL should hand people a book of common courtesy rules when they do upgrades and upsells.

Unfortunately you will come across rude and obvious people no matter what class your in.

We too witnessed a woman changing her kids diaper on a cafe table while people are sitting at the next table eating, I'm mean what gives!

Unfortunately you will come across rude and obvious people no matter what class your in.

We too witnessed a woman changing her kids diaper on a cafe table while people are sitting at the next table eating, I'm mean what gives!

Can you say Norovirus??? I would definitely have brought that up with the hotel director and the food & beverage director. That is really disgusting.

I completely agree! What is wrong with those people! Don't they have the common courtesy to leave when they see a diaper change is getting underway. And none of those "we were here first" excuses, please!

We took it up with our Concierge Adrian (who I love) and he took it up with the Hotel Director. It was resolved to our satisfaction but not until the 4th day of our 10 day cruise. It did not deter me we are in another CYV this Sunday. Our other neighbors in the CY were wonderful and considerate.

we were upgraded to these rooms and we can do what we want" The moral of my story is they did not pay what most of us pay for those rooms

Sounds like the NCL version of public housing

It is hard to imagine why a diaper would need to be changed in the pool area when the rooms are steps away. That is pure inconsideration and should be addressed to the hotel director with an emphasis on health issues. That is crazy.

While I agree that is totally disgusting and these are very low class people... I don't agree with your moral of the story. We for one were upgraded recently to the OS. I know a lot of others that have been fortunate to have this upsell also who would not have been able to have had this wonderful opportunity. I don't agree that just because someone paid less than full price necessarily means that they have no class (which your neighbors obviously didn't). Rude and classless people come in all income levels.

The problem is those 2 bedroom rooms in the Courtyard area. (IMO) They allow up to 6 in that room. I can not imagine stuffing that many people into that room, but they do. It seems cause of these rooms, you get large families. There was one with a Mom, Dad, Grandmother, and 3 kids.. The Mom , and Dad were worthless in keeping kids in check. In fact I am not sure who was worse.. kids or Mom/Dad. THey just felt like they owned the place. The Grandmother.. tried very hard to hush the kids..And even told the parents to be quieter. It is such a small area.. I can't get that point across more. If it were just couples in all those rooms, there would not be a problem...and for such a little area.. they should have thought about this , and only offered 2 people rooms up there.

There are so many things about this ship , that I wish they would have thought about while building their ships.. There was someone recently that said she thought she would like to wake up to the view from the window from her bed..vs the bathtub.. wow I could not agree more!

I really wanted to like this cruise line.. I really liked the owner on that show .. Undercover Boss... But I just have to say that Carnival is better.. Price, service, food.

My experience is limited to two cruises, on the Jewel (Dec 2009) and the Epic (Feb 2011). Both ships were nearly full. On both cruises, use of the Courtyard and its facilities was positively a pleasure.

While I agree that is totally disgusting and these are very low class people... I don't agree with your moral of the story. We for one were upgraded recently to the OS. I know a lot of others that have been fortunate to have this upsell also who would not have been able to have had this wonderful opportunity. I don't agree that just because someone paid less than full price necessarily means that they have no class (which your neighbors obviously didn't). Rude and classless people come in all income levels.

I agree that there are rude and classless is in every economic level but I think when we book courtyard villas and suites we understand the nature of where we are staying and what needs to be applied to a small area meant for discriminating taste. This group did not seem to realize that it was a wonderful opportunity and had no clue how to behave when they go it!

We didn't find the courtyard super busy either. We were there with our kids and at any given time there were loungers and clams available. At one time, there was a woman who wanted to go in the hot tub, so I made my kids get out - she didn't need my kids all over her!! There were 2 hot tubs, so I made sure if the kids wanted to go in it, they would go in the one nobody was in and was cognizant if others wanted to come in.

A day or two had a lot of people, but never completely full.

And a favorite saying of mine.......money does not buy class!

My experience is limited to two cruises, on the Jewel (Dec 2009) and the Epic (Feb 2011). Both ships were nearly full. On both cruises, use of the Courtyard and its facilities was positively a pleasure.

Flaham, I could ask if you were one of the 6 folk in one of the 2 bedroomers that got an upgrade from an inside cabin that was changing baby and adult diapers on the chairs you had been hogging, but I'm not going to do it. CC only have classy people.

We didn't find the courtyard super busy either. We were there with our kids and at any given time there were loungers and clams available. At one time, there was a woman who wanted to go in the hot tub, so I made my kids get out - she didn't need my kids all over her!! There were 2 hot tubs, so I made sure if the kids wanted to go in it, they would go in the one nobody was in and was cognizant if others wanted to come in.

There is only one hot tub on the Jewel.. It simply is a gamble to reserve a Courtyard room.. I would have rathered saved money and had a room that that had ALL the perks, but for Courtyard, sundeck, and theater seats.

Flaham, I could ask if you were one of the 6 folk in one of the 2 bedroomers that got an upgrade from an inside cabin that was changing baby and adult diapers on the chairs you had been hogging, but I'm not going to do it. CC only have classy people.

:rolleyes: Are you not the one that started this thread. I have a feeling you are the people I am talking about.

:rolleyes: Are you not the one that started this thread. I have a feeling you are the people I am talking about.

Yes, I started this thread. Actually I was a bit surprised by the responses - before I had only heard great things about the courtyard. I may be class challenged and need one of those pamphlets, but the DW is class incarnate. The only class questionable thing she ever did was marry me.

1st rule of being a jester: Don't giveth if you can't taketh

2nd rule of being a jester: If you have to explain it, then it wasn't that funny

Yes, I started this thread. Actually I was a bit surprised by the responses - before I had only heard great things about the courtyard. I may be class challenged and need one of those pamphlets, but the DW is class incarnate. The only class questionable thing she ever did was marry me.

1st rule of being a jester: Don't giveth if you can't taketh

2nd rule of being a jester: If you have to explain it, then it wasn't that funny

"The only class questionable thing she ever did was marry me. ".

I can believe that.

"1st rule of being a jester: Don't giveth if you can't taketh

2nd rule of being a jester: If you have to explain it, then it wasn't that funny"

:rolleyes: You are a time waster!.

Again this was my experience on the Jewel.. only.. Not the Epic which may be bigger?

Archived