Livorno to Lucca - train question

Embracedbylife

We plan to grab a cab at Livorno port to the train station and take the train to Lucca and back. My question is - if we purchase 2 return tickets from Livorno to Lucca can we stop on the way back at Pisa and walk around for about an hour then take the connecting train back to Livorno with the same ticket? I understand we have to change trains at Pisa anyway.

Also, how does that work with ticket validation for a return ticket? Do we get 2 tickets (one for each direction) and validate just the one going to Lucca and the the other when we are coming back? If so, will they see the validation time for the return and will we get in trouble if we stop in Pisa on the return?

We plan to grab a cab at Livorno port to the train station and take the train to Lucca and back. My question is - if we purchase 2 return tickets from Livorno to Lucca can we stop on the way back at Pisa and walk around for about an hour then take the connecting train back to Livorno with the same ticket? I understand we have to change trains at Pisa anyway.

Also, how does that work with ticket validation for a return ticket? Do we get 2 tickets (one for each direction) and validate just the one going to Lucca and the the other when we are coming back? If so, will they see the validation time for the return and will we get in trouble if we stop in Pisa on the return?

Yes, you can stop in Pisa with a Livorno-Lucca ticket. We bought o/w in Livorno; it got validated by the conductor in Pisa. On the way back we bought another o/w in Lucca; got off at San Rossore station in Pisa (one before Pisa Centrale), walked to Tower (less than 5 min), then returned to Pisa Centrale (20-25 min walk) & took train to Livorno. But don't rely on taxi too much as they seem to be scarce at dock.It's a hit & miss.

You should note that one can also take a local bus to the train station from the drop off point for the port bus. There is a Tabac right by the bus stop from which you can purchase the bus ticket.

We have lots of problems using the shuttle bus from port to town and we will explain. 1. On most crusies the bus from the port into Livorno does not even start running until past 8:30...even though it is often possible to get off the ship before 7:30. So, you are wasting more than an hour of port time waiting for the first bus. 2. The bus is not free. Some lines now charge as much as $10 round trip. A taxi that goes directly from port to the train station will charge about 20 Euros which can be split among 4 persons. 3. Once you get off the port shuttle bus you still need to wait for and eventually take a local bus which adds another Euro and wastes even more of your valuable port time. In the end the port bus has cost you at least an hour of time, has cost you about as much as a taxi (when you have a group of 4 or more) and makes little sense.

Now, the big problem is getting a taxi to even take folks from the port to the train station. Most taxis will not do this short haul so you need to be a little assertive. When you get to the taxi queue make it clear you want a taxi to the local "stazione" and hold your ground...but also smile. There are usually a few taxis that will take the local hauls..

Finally we would add that on most of our visits to Livorno (and we have been there at least a dozen times) when we use trains (we often rent a car) we are often at the train station and on a train by 8am.....which is more than 30 minutes before that port bus even makes its first run.

Hank

It has been about 2 years since I was at Livorno last and we did have a free shuttle. You make more than a good argument for the taxi! It should be noted that I hate getting off the ship early as I rather enjoy breakfast on port days-less rushed, less crowded if you wait just a bit.

Thanks everyone. Hkto, is there a reason you validated your ticket on your way to Lucca in Pisa? I understood we should validate it before getting on in Livorno?

Also, i read a lot back and forth regarding taxis vs buses. We plan to leave the ship late in the morning around 9:30 or 10am so hopefully by then the taxi drivers won't care so much about touring us around and will just take us to the train station? We'll see! Plan to be back to the ship by 4pm latest. We will maybe spend a couple hours in Lucca and only about a hour in Pisa if that (been there before). Anyone know how long it will take to get from Livorno station to Lucca? I hear it's 15 mins' to Pisa? Thanks again!

I'd be careful about waiting too long to get off the ship, the taxi drivers may give up after a certain point and not be there anymore.

You can't buy "round-trip" train tickets in Italy, what you'll get are two one way tickets. The trains between Livorno and Lucca are regional trains, therefore the tickets must be validated. Do this just before you get on the train in each direction.

As was noted above, to stop at Pisa on the way back from Lucca, you want the stop just before Pisa Centrale, named Pisa San Rossore. You'll pass under the train tracks through a passageway, then walk a few blocks along Via Andrea Pisano to the Piazza dei Miracoli.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&..."></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&...00912&z=16" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Sorry, I keep trying to figure out how to embed a google map but it's just not working.

Just had another thought about changing trains in Pisa. Unless things have recently changed (unlikely) the train from Pisa to Lucca leaves from a track that is located quite a distance down the main platform. That auxillary platform (for the train to Lucca) has some weird designation (something like 2b) and should not be confused with the main tracks located just outside the station building (where you will arrive from Livorno). Facing the tracks from the station building the Lucca track is located way off to the right.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi we did this trip two years ago. We got the ship shuttle bus to the centre of Livorno, bought bus tickets for Bus 1 or 2 to the station. Bought return tickets to Lucca at about 8amthen at around 1pm boarded the train and got off at PISA NORTH. This is very close to the Leaning Tower etc., We then walked to Pisa Centrale and got on a train back to Lucca. We had no problems. You just validate your ticket in the machine each time you board the train. I am not sure if all trains stop at Pisa North, but certainly the regional ones did, and they are cheaper than the express. Hope this helps.

Bought return tickets to Lucca at about 8amthen at around 1pm boarded the train and got off at PISA NORTH. This is very close to the Leaning Tower etc., We then walked to Pisa Centrale and got on a train back to Lucca.

I think you mean Pisa San Rossore, there is no station named Pisa North.

I'm curious as to why you would walk all the way to Pisa Centrale rather than go back to the station you got off at (San Rossore) to go back to Lucca?

Archived