Navigator - Central America Jungles/Insect Repellent

We departing this Saturday on a Navigator Western Caribbean/Central American cruise. We are booked on some excursions in Belize and Guatemala that involve trips along rivers through jungle, and I see that the excursion descriptions encourage participants to use insect repellent. Does anybody know if the ship provides this? I just need to know in order to determine if we need to bring it from home.

Sorry for the mundane question, but any help is appreciated.

I don't know if Regent provides insect repellant gratis, you might ask them directly to be sure. As the boutique/sundries shop on Navigator is small, I would not count on being able to buy it on board. You safest bet would be to pick up the brand you prefer in FLL before boarding.

I have alway brought some from home. I have rarely needed to use mine. The tour operator usually will have some if the tour is in a "buggy" area.

But I carry Repel brand 100% deet. It comes in a very small spray can, about 2 inches tall and fit nicely into my day pack.

I also take along with a key-ring size bottle of "Benadryl Readymist" Itch Stopping spray, just in case.

J

I brought my own but didn't need it on the river excursion in Belize or the jungle ruins in Guatemala. Didn't see a single mosquito either place and had no bites. I am sure this could vary depend on time of year. We were there in Feb.

HOWEVER, I got several sand fly bites in Costa Maya, the place where I didn't take the repellant, not that it would have made any difference because you don't know they are biting you or even there till afterwards.

We brought our own, a natural non-deet variety, but did not need it on either river trip. This was in December, however, and no doubt the weather is warmer now, so who knows what the seasonal insect cycle is in that part of the world.

Don't count on the boutique to equip you--I found the one on Voyager worse than ever--they didn't even have Tylenol or its generic equivalent. This was fairly shocking to me.

Archived