ever been moved from a handicapped room

Tiggertastic

We just booked the last available penthouse on the NCL Jade for a weeks cruise. It is a handicapped/disabled adapted room and we are not. Cabin 9172

We have been told that if someone handicapped books for a balcony or above than we will be moved

Has this ever happened and what do they move you to as there were no other penthouses available

I'm very happy to let anyone who needs the adaption to have it but would still like a penthouse as this is what we paid for

thanks

If your sailing is in final stages, paid in full, NCL would be within its right to book this cabin to anyone.

We have never been moved because we are handicapped and need the conveniences.

If your sailing is in final stages, paid in full, NCL would be within its right to book this cabin to anyone.

We have never been moved because we are handicapped and need the conveniences.

So you are saying that as a person is walking down the corridor to their booked cabin the cruise line could book it to someone else?

I wonder too about those handicapped cabins. I read complaints that handicapped people have to book accessible cabins far in advance as they are taken by able passengers.

Do they really move people after full payment?

I have never been moved from a handicapped cabin eventhough I don't use a wheel-chair. I am handicapped with other medical problems.

You will not be moved at all because there is a law stating that a person doesn't have to state what their medical problems or handicapp is all about to the ships. The ships only ask if you need a wheel chair and nothing else. You can be handicapped and not need a wheel chair. I have partial vision and other medical problems where I need the assessable cabins.

I believe that people who need handicapped cabins should book way in advance. I have seen many people who are not handicapped get the handicapped cabins because handicapped people didn't request them.

There are also wheel chair people who don't want to pay the higher price for a handicapped cabin. I have met some of them. Plus, travel agents don't always tell their clients about the handicapped cabins.

Don't worry... I think you are safe. You are also considered a VIP too since you booked a suite. You will be treated with special attention.

You will get priority embarkation too. I have seen that too because you are a VIP. Just say you don't need a wheel-chair when they ask you.

We just booked the last available penthouse on the NCL Jade for a weeks cruise. It is a handicapped/disabled adapted room and we are not. Cabin 9172

We have been told that if someone handicapped books for a balcony or above than we will be moved

Has this ever happened and what do they move you to as there were no other penthouses available

I'm very happy to let anyone who needs the adaption to have it but would still like a penthouse as this is what we paid for

thanks

I was talking to my PCC just recently about booking a handicapped/disabled adapted cabin for my Dad. She said in order to ensure that we won't be moved, I needed to send "proof" that he qualifies for it. She said to make a copy of his handicap car document. If we couldn't confirm his handicap status, she couldn't put us in a handicap cabin. So I am curious, did you book your cabin on-line, through a TA or with NCL on the phone?

I booked a hc room for my mother-in-law for this coming August on the Jewel and they sent me a form that she has to fill out asking for infomation on her hc. We are to fax it back to my TA and NCL.:rolleyes:

So you are saying that as a person is walking down the corridor to their booked cabin the cruise line could book it to someone else?

I think she meant that if the sailing is after final payment, NCL may book anyone they choose into an HC cabin that might otherwise sail empty.

When I booked my handicapped cabin, I too received a document from NCL inquiring the extent of my handicap, if I would need a wheelchair, etc. I booked the room a year in advance. I do not use a wheelchair but I have mobility problems and use my cane all the time. I think they wanted to be sure that they were letting the room to someone who actually needed it as I did book so early.

thanks

Nope, once it is out of inventory, they will not move you. They tell those of us who need HA cabins that they will if we call to request one less than the usual 12-18 months out that we have to book to be sure we get one that if someone else has already booked the stateroom, but, in actuality, they will not. It is yours now if they gave it to you.

You may want to watch to see if any other penthouse cabins become available. the HC penthouses are large and open with less/different furniture in a different layout compared to non HC penthouses. If you do not need the special layout, you may be happier in a different cabin.

I have to add my two cents here....honestly folks, please consider carefully NOT booking a HA cabin if you truly do not require it.

I visited a HA balcony cabin during a cruise critic meet cabin crawl. It was large (large enough to move your wheelchair or scooter and reposition easily) and had a ramp out onto the very wide balcony. No lip to get over but the ramp was kind of steep for a wheelchair push out IMHO. The size of the balcony allowed the wheelchair passenger to navigate the balcony. The bathroom was large enough to roll in to the shower in your chair and full of all necessary equipment, shower grab bars, fold down shower chair, elevated toilet seat and more grab bars etc. The cabin furniture was sparse however this gave an opportunity to move the chair into a good position for bed transfers and stationary chair transfers. As an RN I found it very interesting that the room was pretty well equipped.

I assumed (incorrectly) that the Cruise Critic members had been put there when the cabin was not needed by a handicapped person. Like a Guarantee or upgrade or something.

Much to my surprise, I then listened to them brag about their large spacious balcony cabin, they did draw attention to the "annoying" ramp and bragged that they requested it removed. They told us they requested additional furniture for the room and the balcony (cause it was so sparse?), hmmmm maybe cause wheelchair bound need that room to navigate? Then the best part, I asked why in the world they thought they got put in that cabin? And low and behold, found out they requested it cause it was such a "great spacious cabin"!!!

I was shocked and I guess they could tell....they tried to explain, that they werent keeping anyone from getting the cabin cause they read on Cruise Critic they would be moved if someone truly handicapped needed the cabin. But, here's the kicker.... they actually had asked when booking over a year and a half ahead of time and were told by the rep at NCL, that would NEVER happen!!

Well, I can tell you that I know for sure it did not happen! We watched a woman/mother struggle with her wheelchair bound cerebral palsy child in a traditional cabin. They were in the cabin next to us and I got to know them pretty well. We talked many times throughout the cruise. She was told there were no HA cabins available when she booked one year prior to cruise date. Note: She booked after the above mentioned people booked.

She said she even asked ot be placed on a waiting list for a HA cabin and they said they would let her know if one became available. She said she checked frequently by calling and checking the website. I check for price drops, she checked for HA availability! She really wanted to pick a different cruise that would have a HA cabin available but she was on a work group trip and didn't want to not travel with her group.

If you could have seen her struggle!!!!! It was hard to watch knowing these other people "scored" their HA cabin prize! It broke my heart when we sat on my balcony one day and I could hear her talking to him, her being on the balcony and him in the cabin AND realize that her son had not ever been out on the balcony!!

Well, he did end up out on the balcony a few times...because I made my husband offer to carry him out there for awhile!! His Mom struggled to transfer him from the chair to the bed at night, from the chair onto the toilet and he never did get a real shower. Too narrow of a cabin. All of these things he could have had if he had been in a HA cabin! Of course she never complained but did share it was "tight" and "challenging".

So please...think twice....please don't book a HA in hopes of "scoring" a cool cabin....justifying it by saying the cruise ship will move me out if someone needs it cause I really do not believe that's true.

Please think about the Mom and her son in my story....please.

Let the ship move someone at the last minute if they want to sail full, a few days before it sails, that gave folks plenty of time to book a HA cabin if they need one. Life is tough enough for the disabled....let's give these people every chance we can to cruise comfortably first!

Off my soap box now....thanks for listening.

Jan

I have to add my two cents here....honestly folks, please consider carefully NOT booking a HA cabin if you truly do not require it.

I visited a HA balcony cabin during a cruise critic meet cabin crawl. It was large (large enough to move your wheelchair or scooter and reposition easily) and had a ramp out onto the very wide balcony. No lip to get over but the ramp was kind of steep for a wheelchair push out IMHO. The size of the balcony allowed the wheelchair passenger to navigate the balcony. The bathroom was large enough to roll in to the shower in your chair and full of all necessary equipment, shower grab bars, fold down shower chair, elevated toilet seat and more grab bars etc. The cabin furniture was sparse however this gave an opportunity to move the chair into a good position for bed transfers and stationary chair transfers. As an RN I found it very interesting that the room was pretty well equipped.

I assumed (incorrectly) that the Cruise Critic members had been put there when the cabin was not needed by a handicapped person. Like a Guarantee or upgrade or something.

Much to my surprise, I then listened to them brag about their large spacious balcony cabin, they did draw attention to the "annoying" ramp and bragged that they requested it removed. They told us they requested additional furniture for the room and the balcony (cause it was so sparse?), hmmmm maybe cause wheelchair bound need that room to navigate? Then the best part, I asked why in the world they thought they got put in that cabin? And low and behold, found out they requested it cause it was such a "great spacious cabin"!!!

I was shocked and I guess they could tell....they tried to explain, that they werent keeping anyone from getting the cabin cause they read on Cruise Critic they would be moved if someone truly handicapped needed the cabin. But, here's the kicker.... they actually had asked when booking over a year and a half ahead of time and were told by the rep at NCL, that would NEVER happen!!

Well, I can tell you that I know for sure it did not happen! We watched a woman/mother struggle with her wheelchair bound cerebral palsy child in a traditional cabin. They were in the cabin next to us and I got to know them pretty well. We talked many times throughout the cruise. She was told there were no HA cabins available when she booked one year prior to cruise date. Note: She booked after the above mentioned people booked.

She said she even asked ot be placed on a waiting list for a HA cabin and they said they would let her know if one became available. She said she checked frequently by calling and checking the website. I check for price drops, she checked for HA availability! She really wanted to pick a different cruise that would have a HA cabin available but she was on a work group trip and didn't want to not travel with her group.

If you could have seen her struggle!!!!! It was hard to watch knowing these other people "scored" their HA cabin prize! It broke my heart when we sat on my balcony one day and I could hear her talking to him, her being on the balcony and him in the cabin AND realize that her son had not ever been out on the balcony!!

Well, he did end up out on the balcony a few times...because I made my husband offer to carry him out there for awhile!! His Mom struggled to transfer him from the chair to the bed at night, from the chair onto the toilet and he never did get a real shower. Too narrow of a cabin. All of these things he could have had if he had been in a HA cabin! Of course she never complained but did share it was "tight" and "challenging".

So please...think twice....please don't book a HA in hopes of "scoring" a cool cabin....justifying it by saying the cruise ship will move me out if someone needs it cause I really do not believe that's true.

Let the ship move someone at the last minute if they want to sail full, a few days before it sails, that gave folks plenty of time to book a HA cabin if they need one. Life is tough enough for the disabled....let's give these people every chance we can to cruise comfortably first!

Jan

Fortunately or for some people unfortunately, I am a pretty brash/forthcoming person. I would have went straight to that HA cabin and explained the situation then remind them of how they stated they were willing to be moved if the cabin was needed by someone else and see how ready they were to move....hell I woulda offered to help them pack too ;)

I believe there should be a point these rooms are left open until, then the cruise line is free to fill.

Jan

This story just broke my heart! :(

This post should be made into a sticky to remind people these cabins are designated as HC for good reason. People are so selfish sometimes. Now there are people who genuinely book these by mistake and often dislike the setup because it is not designed for the able-bodied (bath/shower setup).

It is shameful to say the least for CC members to purposely book these cabins for the extra space knowing full well these cabins are very limited.

If I were on friendly terms with the occupants of the HC cabin, I would have mentioned the HC son's predicament. If guilt over someone else truly needing that cabin did not gnaw at them, they would have to be inhumane.

Let me tell you my story.

About a week and a before my October Jewel sailing last year, I noticed there was a Aft facing balcony was available but it was a handicapped mini suite, the same category I was booked in. I booked it, knowing fully that if someone needed it I would give it up.

No one needed it and embarkation went well and I unpacked and everything. About 6pm on embarkation day I got a call from the Guest Services manager explaining that they had two women that needed the room as one of them could not properly use the bathroom in their room.

I said not a problem and all I asked for was help, after I repacked my stuff, to bring it to the new room. She said no problem and she thanked me for being willing to disrupt my night and move and then said they would extend VIP privileges to me for being so considerate. Wow. That was great of them to do that.

Now lets get to the most interesting part of the story. So I pack all my stuff and get it ready to go and make my way to get new key cards. The concierge met me down there to facilitate the move and what not. We get everything all processed, new keys and the Butler ready to move the stuff and the Concierge gets a call from the Guest Services Manager. Come to find out the women were not satisfied with the cabin they were being moved into which was an Aft facing balcony mini suite because it did not have a tub and they felt it was an undesirable location. Can you believe it, an aft facing balcony is undesirable . . . But thats not all, the Concierge told me they demanded a higher category cabin. Which obviously the ship said no to and told them that I was willing to be disrupted to accommodate them.

Both the Guest Services manager apologized to me for the inconvenience and thanked me for my willingness to move and they said because I was willing to they said they would still extend the VIP perks to me.

The cruise line was great. My point of all this, is if you do book one because it is not booked, if they ask you to move for someone who needs it do it. Your good dead may not go unpaid but even if it doesn't your still doing what is right.

I did ask about this for a room for my mom, who at 73 is great, and they asked a # of ?'s and suggested I book a different room as if someone who really needed this room would get it and we would be moved and possible to an inside and was told to call a week before and if no one who really needed it didn't book we could have it. Now that I read this thread, how on earth do they know if mom is in a chair or not??? but I have to live with the lies and was brought up by this great woman to be honest :) love her

Some cruise critic friends had booked a balcony cabin maybe 6 months out and noticed it was for handicapped. They called their travel agent who called NCL to attempt to give it back and put them in a non HA cabin. NCL would not do it. Perhaps there was no other balcony cabin available in that category. They felt so guilty but were not keen on having a last minute change had there actually been someone in need of the HA cabin! The problem was solved when there was a price drop and they were moved to a higher category BA cabin which became available after final payment. They were NOT asked for paperwork to substantiate their need for a HA cabin. There seemed to be a cut off date at which NCL and/or travel agents could sell HA cabins to the general public and they were within that window, so were not required to furnish proof of need.

So, we've had all different experiences heard!

DW uses a rollator -- four-wheeled walker -- has done for the past couple of cruises to Baltic and Panama. We requested HA both times -- in vain. We booked our next cruise nearly a year ahead of time and asked for and got HA. Now, having recently had a bionic hip installed, she is worried that NCL will not consider her handicapped enough to merit the HA cabin. But she still will need a rollator by November. The regular cabins were all right, but the rollator did crowd us some.

DW uses a rollator -- four-wheeled walker -- has done for the past couple of cruises to Baltic and Panama. We requested HA both times -- in vain. We booked our next cruise nearly a year ahead of time and asked for and got HA. Now, having recently had a bionic hip installed, she is worried that NCL will not consider her handicapped enough to merit the HA cabin. But she still will need a rollator by November. The regular cabins were all right, but the rollator did crowd us some.

I would cite the American With Disabilities Act when speaking to them. i find it hard to believe all of the rooms a year out are booked to legitimate handicapped individuals. Under the ADA they have to make reasonable accommodations to you.

If she is stillusing a rollator, and needs the grab bars and elevated toilet seat to keep up with her hip precautions, she is absolutely in need of the HA stateroom. If you filled out the paperwork they sent you when you booked, just leave it at that. If they had any problems with it they would have let you know right away.

Archived