Just back from the Diamond Princess

CRUISER94044

We just returned from a wonderful cruise. Diamond Princess is a beautiful ship. We met many gracious crew who seemed to try really hard to please. We had a balcony cabin and made great use of it.

The shows, Piano Man and Undercover were wonderful, and we enjoyed a back stage tour.

A few observations: We have been on many cruises before, but this was our first on a Grand Class ship. Yes, Diamond is very large. And yes, there are stairs that seem to go nowhere, and sometimes you have to go up a level and then back down again.... but all the more exercise!

We did not feel the ship was over crowded. We had no problem getting lounge chairs in the sun, and lots of quiet lounges to relax in.

We had no problem using our coke cards. The barwaiters were all very pleasant when we requested a soda. We did not encounter the attitude we had found on previous cruises.

The atrium is a little small, making the captains welcome party crowded. No big deal, just went, got a couple of drinks and moved on. The captain circle party was in one of the lounges and was very nice.

Billy Hygate was our CD. We found him to be basically non-existent. We only saw him occasionally at the end of a show, heard his announcements over the intercom. However, two of the cruise staff, Neil and Sly were Wonderful! (don't miss Neil doing "The weakest One" ( a weakest link game show)

We really enjoyed anytime dining and had no problems with reservations. We made reservations the first two nights when we boarded, and then the rest of the week, the next morning. We ate early, 5:30-6:00. Our meals lasted 1.5-2 hours. We never felt rushed. We reserved tables for two. Yes, these tables are all along a wall with some separation between tables. Every two or four tables, there would be a glass partition. Most nights we had a great time with the one or two tables near us. The food was great.

Embarkation took quite a while. This is not Princess's fault. Immigration took a while, they were checking everyone's passports...

We had some excitement the last sea day, they had to evacuate a very ill passenger by Helicopter. The ship does not have a helipad, so they had to air lift him in...

The seas were extremely calm.... until the second to last night, and the last day. We were moving very quickly.... some folks needed some dramamine just near the end.

If you are scheduled to go..... enjoy!!!:) :) :)

Cruiser, I couldn't agree more. Neil and Sly were great (I got em on the Bingo side, very entertaining). I was disappointed in the morning shows, as they seemed to me to be just adverstisements for a shop on board the boat. I don't recall who the CD was on my first ship, but he, and his staff had a blast of a morning show filled with great humor. Oh well, everyone is different I guess.

Looking forward to my next cruise.

You bring back memories from 2 short weeks ago. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Diamond as well. We are still debating if it was our best or 2nd best - maybe it was a tie. We booked the Carribean Princess while onboard for Apr 8 2006 - our son's spring break and Easter week.

We are going on the Sapphire which is the same size. Since the ship is so big, we were wondering if it was crowded getting off at each port. We were on on large Carnival ship one time and the line to get off the ship went up 3 floors!

I am try to attach a photo of the Coast Guard Helicopter in this reply. The beautiful girls in the picture are my daughters. I was in the CG for 21 years and did many a medivac off of Cruise ships while stationed in San Diego. Was very different watching one from this side of the medivac.

34334%3B5523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3247%3E952%3E577%3EWSNRCG%3D3232883344%3B75nu0mrj

llund, we ate breakfast each morning in port, and didn't try to leave the ship prior to 9:00 or 9:30 am. We did not see lines trying to get off the ship in port, and had no trouble getting tender tickets... but again we didn't try to get off the ship early. :)

I was in CABO SAN LUCAS on Monday, February 28th and saw the Diamond Princess come in late, float around a few minutes and then leave. There were rescue crew at the tender dock with three stretchers. Did the Diamond make an unscheduled stop there that day?

Thanks...maybe we will wait too. What ports are tender ports?

Cabo San Lucas is the only tender port. I loved the ship too. I understand Sapphire Princess will take over this itinerary next year but since they are identical ships it should not be a matter of concern.

• 3 years later...

The shows, Piano Man and Undercover were wonderful, and we enjoyed a back stage tour.

We were able to do a back-stage tour on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe the amount of work the dancers had to do themselves...

Archived