storage for scuba gear ?

tech40

I have a friend who leaves on a Princess cruise from Fort Lauderdale next week. He is wondering if there is a place on the ship where they would store his wet suit from his scuba gear. They do not have a balcony room.\\

thanks

I have a friend who leaves on a Princess cruise from Fort Lauderdale next week. He is wondering if there is a place on the ship where they would store his wet suit from his scuba gear. They do not have a balcony room.\\
The "closet" is a large, open dressing area outside the bathroom door with a rod that goes the width of the cabin. Plenty of room for suitcases, scuba gear, maybe even a small cot. Tell your friend to check the cabin layout on the Princess website.

I have never known princess to store things like scuba gear or wet suits outside the passengers cabin. Everyone I know that dives always gets at least a balcony cabin so they have a way to dry these items out after they dive. I agree with Pam though, the closet or shower would be the only place I know of where it might be stored.

I have never known princess to store things like scuba gear or wet suits outside the passengers cabin. Everyone I know that dives always gets at least a balcony cabin so they have a way to dry these items out after they dive. I agree with Pam though, the closet or shower would be the only place I know of where it might be stored.
I just assumed he was talking about storing dry gear. If it's wet, they will have a big challenge where to put it until it dries, particularly without a balcony cabin. I'd suggest bringing a plastic shower curtain to spread out on the floor to protect it if they put it in the closet area wet.

They could always utilize the clothesline in the shower...

I don't think the clothesline would hold a wetsuit, they are quite heavy, but they might be able to figure out another way to hang it in there.

As said, I have never seen anyone that brought dive gear before that didn't at least book a balcony cabin. Once they dive, those things are wet and need to dry out, and without a balcony, there is no air circulation to do this. :confused:

I've only flown once with scuba equipment and that was back in the days before all the luggage and weight restrictions came into place. I'd never fly with it these days. Too cumbersome. If he's warm water diving tell him to leave the wet suit at home. He should take a dive skin or shorty scuba suit if he thinks he'll be too cold in just swim shorts. Either of those could be hung in the shower without busting that clothesline. I agree with the suggestion that he should bring a plastic shower curtain. When he brings his dive bag back into the room full of wet personal gear that's going to leak through eventually so something to protect the carpet and not attract the steward's attention to a big wet spot would be useful.

We store dive equipment in an inside cabin all the time. It really isn't that wet by the time we get back to the ship, but we do rinse everything in the shower (it helps to have two people to do this, one wet person and one dry person). The clothesline in the shower is useless- it holds DH's hood, but that's about it. We use the blue striped beach/pool towels to line the bathroom floor and the cabin floor (3 layers thick for the latter). I bring a skin and DH a shorty, so we're not trying to dry farmer jacks/janes. I also bring my BCD and regulator- DH rents his. Add the masks, snorkels and fins and it's a lot of stuff. But we manage, and it dries very quickly, generally by the next morning.

The only issue we have is with dive knives. Princess won't allow them on the ship, so they have to be checked in and out each time we dive. It's a PITA,'but what can you do?

One time RC upgraded us to a handicapped cabin the day we boarded the ship. It was wonderful- we called it our scuba cabin and had all our gear spread around the huge and tiled bathroom.

I've only flown once with scuba equipment and that was back in the days before all the luggage and weight restrictions came into place. I'd never fly with it these days. Too cumbersome. If he's warm water diving tell him to leave the wet suit at home. He should take a dive skin or shorty scuba suit if he thinks he'll be too cold in just swim shorts. Either of those could be hung in the shower without busting that clothesline. I agree with the suggestion that he should bring a plastic shower curtain. When he brings his dive bag back into the room full of wet personal gear that's going to leak through eventually so something to protect the carpet and not attract the steward's attention to a big wet spot would be useful.

I disagree bring a 3mil full suit or some type of rash guard one for sun protection and two abrasion protection I banged my shin on the wreck of the RMS Rhone couple years ago and wish I would have had some protection. As far as your gear just get extra towels and hang it in the closet with the proper hangers and it should dry fairly quickly then pick up the towels.

when we have had an inside cabin we wore them and rinsed them out in the shower next to the pool, then plopped down on some loungers and let them dry. Stowed our other gear in bathroom under the sink.

I am in a conflict over this. We are snokeling a lot with the kids and only diving one day (Rhone!).... I am not planning on bringing anything but my mask, dive computer and dive skin.

If I were diving in many ports I would bring my wetsuit and reg. At this point I do not even want to be bothered with my fantastic fins and booties.

I have almost all my clothes packed in a carry on for my cruise this Sunday....

I had a tour of the commercial laundry facilities on an NCL ship one time and they had a wet suit hanging there. I asked about it and they said they offer the hanging-to-dry as a service. Maybe Princess does the same thing. It would certainly be worth asking about.

Archived