NCL Gem vs HAL Veendam

KruiseKrazy124

Along with the Norwegian Majesty, the Norwegian Crown was also able to dock in St. George. We miss those ships which were able to dock in both Hamilton & St. George. None of the new mega-ships can dock there and all are restricted to King's Wharf. We have also sailed the Azamara Journey to Bermuda before she was relocated to Europe. Still hope some smaller cruise ship will resume sailings from New York to Hamilton & St. George?

Along with the Norwegian Majesty, the Norwegian Crown was also able to dock in St. George. We miss those ships which were able to dock in both Hamilton & St. George. None of the new mega-ships can dock there and all are restricted to King's Wharf. We have also sailed the Azamara Journey to Bermuda before she was relocated to Europe. Still hope some smaller cruise ship will resume sailings from New York to Hamilton & St. George?

Probably won't happen with any of the mainstream lines. Small ships are not profitable enough for them.;)

Hi! First time poster. We are new to cruising; just came off the Jewel from NYC to the Bahamas and we are hooked! Planning for Bermuda late september and I was for sure going to cruise NCL again since we loved it so much but now that I read this thread I'm confused!

The dilemma: we have a mixed group going, two seniors and two adults and three kids (10, 4, 3 in age). I priced it out and I would be paying the same for 1 ocean (partial obstructed) and one inside on the NCL as two oceans with HAL. So the fact that the price is so close and seems like I"m getting a better room with HAL (as per their site, the rooms look bigger!).

The biggest advantage to me seems like more time in Bermuda with HAL. However I read somewhere you might miss first stop due to rough seas. In that case do they dock early at 2nd stop? (this is what happened to us at great stirrup and we went straight to nassau instead).

Concern 1: the Kids fun and safety...So, my concerns are the kids; seems like NCL is more kid friendly. The gem has bowling and water slides etc. BUT the HAL game room looks pretty upscale. On the downside, it seems a little more dangerous with the gorgeous open views of the water and my little ones hanging over gives me anxiety!

Concern 2: Could we miss our first stop and if so, do they dock early in the dockyard?

concern 3: food: I've been reading about the dinning on HAL and we were definitely disappointed with the inclusive food on the Jewel. We opted for the specialty restaurants often and spent a fortune on food.. I don't want to do that again with 7 people this time (it was just the two of us last time). Is the food that much better on HAL?

Can you compare the rooms between the gem and HAL? inside to inside and ocean to ocean?

I know I'm asking a lot and believe me I'm doing my own research as well but it's overwhelming and experience is definitely appreciated!

-Lissa

lovendove asked: ....Could we miss our first stop and if so, do they dock early in the dockyard?....

I'm assuming your question was in re to HAL's Veendam. If the seas are too rough for anchoring off St George and tendering in, then the cruise ship will go directly to Hamilton and dock there, and not at the Dockyard. So your entire stay will be in Hamilton :D .

SBtS

The biggest advantage to me seems like more time in Bermuda with HAL. However I read somewhere you might miss first stop due to rough seas. In that case do they dock early at 2nd stop? (this is what happened to us at great stirrup and we went straight to nassau instead).

You would only be docked in a different part of Bermuda. You would dock in Hamilton, not at Dockyard and that's not a bad thing since Hamilton is almost in the center of the island. .

Concern 1: the Kids fun and safety...So, my concerns are the kids; seems like NCL is more kid friendly. The gem has bowling and water slides etc. BUT the HAL game room looks pretty upscale.

If you do a search on the HAL board, you will find a number of threads on the kid's club. Granted, no water slides, but people, and the kids, were very happy with what they offered in the kid's club.

On the downside, it seems a little more dangerous with the gorgeous open views of the water and my little ones hanging over gives me anxiety!

I'm assuming you mean hanging over the rail? You can't really hang over it without climbing up and making an effort. The only time it's really dangerous is when people do stupid things.

-Lissa

Thank you for the replies. I'll pray my children don't do anything "stupid". The railings just look so low in the pictures online compared to how barricaded in we felt on the NCL Jewel. I was shocked how everything was so protected we couldn't find one place to take a picture that didn't have railings and/or plastic; maybe it's best we stay with the Gem with the kids after all:) I look forward to trying HAL next time sans kids and in laws:P

Thank you for the replies. I'll pray my children don't do anything "stupid". The railings just look so low in the pictures online compared to how barricaded in we felt on the NCL Jewel. I was shocked how everything was so protected we couldn't find one place to take a picture that didn't have railings and/or plastic; maybe it's best we stay with the Gem with the kids after all:) I look forward to trying HAL next time sans kids and in laws:P

If you are so worried, maybe you better stay with the Gem.

People who did something stupid were usually drunk. They did not just happen to fall overboard.

I just realized that if you go with HAL you will easily be able to go to the

St. George's Market Nights in King's Square, since its on tuesdays and you can go to the Hamilton Harbour Night on wednesday.

That's a bonus for me :)

I don't think the railings are low. What pictures do you mean? When I was on Veendam last summer there were a lot of children onboard. If your children are prone do do something stupid I would not take them on any vacation.

St. George's Market Nights in King's Square, since its on tuesdays and you can go to the Hamilton Harbour Night on wednesday.

I heard people mention that last year when I went on that cruise.

If HAL sticks with thier tender schedule from 2010, that would be do-able. :)

The last tender from shore is/was @11:30pm ... so you might be in luck.

(Unless, of course, you go right to Hamilton that day ... which is what happened on my trip. :D)

It is pretty much the same people who set up tables at both nights. And at the one at the Dockyard if they still have that one.

It is pretty much the same people who set up tables at both nights. And at the one at the Dockyard if they still have that one.

Ah, that's a bit dissapointing. Well, at least I don't need to go far to see it.

If HAL sticks with thier tender schedule from 2010, that would be do-able. :)

The last tender from shore is/was @11:30pm ... so you might be in luck.

(Unless, of course, you go right to Hamilton that day ... which is what happened on my trip. :D)

Haha .. it has crossed my mind actually ;)

Actually, it's not the same people - some of the offerings may seem the same but they are not the same vendors.

St George's folk are pretty keen on their own 'Old Towne' and they run the Tues evenings themselves - why would they then drive into town on Wednesday? It's an awfully long way, it's over half an hour's drive.

Hamilton's Harbour Nights feature more extensive stalls from a wider variety of vendors - it is worth doing both evenings which, of course, is precisely why they are arranged so that cruise ship passengers can.

Actually, it's not the same people - some of the offerings may seem the same but they are not the same vendors.

St George's folk are pretty keen on their own 'Old Towne' and they run the Tues evenings themselves - why would they then drive into town on Wednesday? It's an awfully long way, it's over half an hour's drive.

Hamilton's Harbour Nights feature more extensive stalls from a wider variety of vendors - it is worth doing both evenings which, of course, is precisely why they are arranged so that cruise ship passengers can.

It seemed the same to me but I have never done more than one of the fairs the same year so I guess it only seemed the same. One of the times in St. George about ten years ago there was an artist that was having problems with the government. I wonder what happened to him... Last year I was on the Veendam and we ended up in Hamilton the whole time, no tendering so I only did the Hamilton fair. I like the Hamilton fair when they have the troop review best but that was not the week I was there last year. And this year I have the Veendam booked agian but it appears will miss that again.

Funny though you all would think that is a long drive.

Funny though you all would think that is a long drive.

It's all relative. We'll drive half an hour for a pizza.:D

A couple of years ago a friend met me In St. George. He said he hardly ever gets over there because of the distance and he lives in Devonshire Parish just outside of Hamilton.:)

It's all relative. We'll drive half an hour for a pizza.:D

A couple of years ago a friend met me In St. George. He said he hardly ever gets over there because of the distance and he lives in Devonshire Parish just outside of Hamilton.:)

The price they pay for gas probably has somthing to do with it to.

Unless they widen the Town Cut (very controversial there), there's not much chance of a cruiseship docking at St George's. Far as I know, the last one that could navigate it was the Azamara Journey. When the Zenith was retired in 2007, we were bumped to the Journey when X purchased it. Oh, the horror!:rolleyes: We had to suffer through things like the Captain stopping by our dinner table to see if we were enjoying ourselves... Needless to say, the ship was gorgeous and the trip spectacular.

This article just appeared in the Royal Gazette.

Govt committed to finding cruise ships for St George's - Minister

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110325/NEWS/110329979

I just got notice that on my sailing the itinerary is changed to move the ship from St.George to Hamiltion on Tuesday evening at 6PM arriving in Hamiltion at 8PM. I don't know if they are changing that for all sailings but it seems likely.

This article just appeared in the Royal Gazette.

Govt committed to finding cruise ships for St George's - Minister

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110325/NEWS/110329979

Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

I love Bermuda and the people so I don't want to sound disparaging but, we are now seeing a case of "be careful for what you wish". There was a person who had a blog and all he did was bad mouth cruise ships and the people on them.:( He didn't want any cruise ships at all coming in. His last post on the blog was in 2008 but I wonder what he would say now to the merchants in St. George who have closed or the ones who remain and are struggling?

They have the wrong date on the picture of the Majesty since the last year she went to Bermuda was 2009.;)

Comparing ships, we sailed NCL only once, Boston to Bermuda, we refer to it as the banana boat cruise, have never repeated NCL. Last summer we sailed on HAL, booked a lanai cabin on the Veendam which was just lovely and in a great location. The ship was in fine condition considerating it's age. Didn't mind the smaller ship, it was like coming home, we first started cruising in the mid eighties when all ships were small. We're cruising to Bermuda with Celebrity in May, they're tops with us.

Pat

Comparing ships, we sailed NCL only once, Boston to Bermuda, we refer to it as the banana boat cruise, have never repeated NCL. Last summer we sailed on HAL, booked a lanai cabin on the Veendam which was just lovely and in a great location. The ship was in fine condition considerating it's age. Didn't mind the smaller ship, it was like coming home, we first started cruising in the mid eighties when all ships were small. We're cruising to Bermuda with Celebrity in May, they're tops with us.

Pat

What is a banana boat cruise? Sailing once on a particular line really isn't a fair evaluation.;) We've cruised to Bermuda several time each on Celebrity, RCCL and NCL. Although we do have a favorite, all the cruises were good.:)

I was looking at Veendam too, both ships leave from NYC which is bonus, but HAL offers more time on the island. We ended up going with NCL because I was concernened about HAL being too old of a crowd which is what we found when we sailed on Princess. Everyone turned into a pumpkin before midnight. l was worried the ship would be compltely dead at 10pm and we are a young couple in our late 20's. It really is a give and take on any cruise there is no perfect ship, like there is no perfect man. There were + and - on every line we have been on so far.

The onboard activities will be somewhat curtailed while ship is docked in Bermuda but I think going with NCL will get you a better chance of a somewhat younger crowd. There is street festival in Hamilton on Wednesday evenings during summer season and bars/pubs throughout the island for night life.

Not sure what Princess ships you have been on but on most Caribbean cruises I've been on w/ them (10+) the nightlife's been pretty good....into the wee hours.

Archived