Gifts that "hint" of Cruise

KentuckyKat

Thanks for all the great ideas! I knew you guys would come through! I just got back from WalMart.

I need 40 gifts, so far from the ideas above I got: travel toiletries, sunglasses (cheap party favor), lip balm, water shoes, beach towel, beach toys, a lanyard (UK - CATS, CATS, CATS!!), an underwater camera and Bonine (last two gifts to be opened). Also got tums, binoculars, deck of cards with palm tree and monkey on them (DD's), and key lime flavored gum.

Going to get sunscreen, an i-tunes card (for cruise music) and a Dick's card (for snorkel stuff), and stack of $1 bills, and I am going to CVS right now to look for that luggage tag and will be hitting some party stores looking for a captain's hat next week!

The ring-tone is a GREAT idea, but not sure I could pull it off.

Thanks again!

I want to get a movie or TV series DVDs -- thoughts? (Already have Fool's Gold and don't want Titanic too sad).

Loving this thread!!! We just booked our 1st family cruise for Aug 2012 & we have not told the kids yet. We had started to plan on putting together goodies to give to them, Easter weekend, and then let them know. I was trying to think of some things, and now I have plenty of great ideas!!!

I want to get a movie or TV series DVDs -- thoughts? (Already have Fool's Gold and don't want Titanic too sad).

Joe VS the Volcano - not obvious, but definately ocean travel there

Boat Trip (Cuba Gooding JR)

Out to Sea (Jack Lemmon, Water Matthau)

Cute! I'm going to go look for these! Do you remember which section you found them in? I hope the have them in California and not just Florida. :)

I hope the original poster didn't go looking for those luggage tags yet because I WAS WRONG!!!! I got them at Walgreens, not CVS... my bad!!! IDK why but I always get those two mixed up....

They were on a hanging display near the front of the store next to the check out line.. I hope you find some!! They are really sweet!

So funny! I did go to CVS - walked all around - no luggage tags! But it's no big deal - didn't go out of my way. LOL when I saw your last post - I ALWAYS get CVS and Walgreens confused! Will try Walgreens next week!

And will look for those movies too. Great ideas!

I hope the original poster didn't go looking for those luggage tags yet because I WAS WRONG!!!! I got them at Walgreens, not CVS... my bad!!! IDK why but I always get those two mixed up....

They were on a hanging display near the front of the store next to the check out line.. I hope you find some!! They are really sweet!

So funny! I did go to CVS - walked all around - no luggage tags! But it's no big deal - didn't go out of my way. LOL when I saw your last post - I ALWAYS get CVS and Walgreens confused! Will try Walgreens next week!

And will look for those movies too. Great ideas!

LOL, I checked CVS while there yesterday too for something else. I'll try the Walgreens after Church tomorrow. Hoping ours carries them.

Out to Sea would be a cute one too!

I surprise my neice with a cruise for her graduation present last year. Here's what I did..

I had boxes, each one smaller than the other.

In the 1st box was a pair of flip flops (the cheap ones from Old Navy)

In the 2nd box was suntain lotion (from the $1 store, so not expensive)

In the 3rd box was a luggage tag (I spent less than $5 on it)

In the 4th box was a little book I made out of card stock.. I had about 8 pictures from various locations on the ship we were going on. I cropped them so obvious things wouldn't give it away.

In the last box, I printed out a sign that said something like "Pack your bags... You're going on a 6 day, 5 night cruise to Mexico...."

I also included a map of the ports, a packing guide and cruising tips.

By the time she got to the pictures, she kind of knew it, but I think she didn't want to give it away that she knew.

I had so much fun planning this for her and she really enjoyed the surprise aspect to it.

Instead of the box idea, you could also make it into a treasure hunt and leave small objects with each clue.

Hopefully you can use some of my ideas.

My daugther took my dh on a scavenger hunt for his 50th. Here are some of the items she had him buy (we were overly cautious about not making it waaay too obvious and easy for him but close enough that the clues would make sense if one thought hard enough!):

saltwater taffy

Thomas the Tank engine--St. Thomas was one of our ports (anything....we just got a Thomas the Tank Engine birthday card--nice and cheap! ;))

A drink umbrella

Now and Laters candy (The birthday party/presents were 'now' and the cruise wasn't until 'later')

A calendar

A toy license plate with the name "April" on it (This was last October and the cruise wasn't until this April! I needed more time to save for spending money)

Rest and Relaxation Lotion (Trial size, from Bath and Body Works---they also have "Carribean escape" scented line now. However, that one was WAY too obvious!)

Virgin Pina Colada (we were going to the Virgin Islands ;)

Whatever you do, try not to make it way too obvious or he won't even get through all the gifts before he guesses what it is. Think of the ports you are going to be visiting. You can come up with all kinds of things that way. Like, we got him a New Orleans Saints icon since "Saints" was for "St. Thomas."

My husband was super excited once he figured it out too! We had the worst year prior to that that anyone could have ever even thought to experience in their life. This is going to be a great time for me and my little family to just grow close and try and escape some serious grief for a while. I can hardly wait!:)

My daugther took my dh on a scavenger hunt for his 50th. Here are some of the items she had him buy (we were overly cautious about not making it waaay too obvious and easy for him but close enough that the clues would make sense if one thought hard enough!):

saltwater taffy

Thomas the Tank engine--St. Thomas was one of our ports (anything....we just got a Thomas the Tank Engine birthday card--nice and cheap! ;))

A drink umbrella

Now and Laters candy (The birthday party/presents were 'now' and the cruise wasn't until 'later')

A calendar

A toy license plate with the name "April" on it (This was last October and the cruise wasn't until this April! I needed more time to save for spending money)

Rest and Relaxation Lotion (Trial size, from Bath and Body Works---they also have "Carribean escape" scented line now. However, that one was WAY too obvious!)

Virgin Pina Colada (we were going to the Virgin Islands ;)

Whatever you do, try not to make it way too obvious or he won't even get through all the gifts before he guesses what it is. Think of the ports you are going to be visiting. You can come up with all kinds of things that way. Like, we got him a New Orleans Saints icon since "Saints" was for "St. Thomas."

My husband was super excited once he figured it out too! We had the worst year prior to that that anyone could have ever even thought to experience in their life. This is going to be a great time for me and my little family to just grow close and try and escape some serious grief for a while. I can hardly wait!:)

Hey girl! I wondered how you had spilled the beans to him, now I know. :) Help me plan something for my kids with their ages, LOL, I'm not so creative. Also, BTW, your so close to your cruise! I know you guys are super excited!

My inlaws bought us our first cruise, and to thank them I went to my local winery and had a label made to put on one of there bottles of wine. It was 'Cruising the mexican riviera' I did sombreros and ships and put everyones name, the year etc. I thought the M & M's idea was great too. Ohhhh, and one year from a music store I brought in crumpled money and dollar store stuff, and they canned it for me with a label (if you can find a place that does canning) the kids had to use a can opener to get to their gifts and sort through all the trinkets to find the bills.

Hey Krystin! Yep we are getting VERY close!!! Have you yet planned your family cruise? Where are you going and for how long? Just curious. If you tell me your ports of call, I can try and think up hints for those places. I don't like to be obvious with my clues. However, you do have kids on this surprise. They might need more obvious clues. But T might find it much easier to figure out the surprise than the other two. I loved the idea of the saltwater taffy. That works for adults and kids alike. :D Two weeks from today we will be sailing away!

Hey Krystin! Yep we are getting VERY close!!! Have you yet planned your family cruise? Where are you going and for how long? Just curious. If you tell me your ports of call, I can try and think up hints for those places. I don't like to be obvious with my clues. However, you do have kids on this surprise. They might need more obvious clues. But T might find it much easier to figure out the surprise than the other two. I loved the idea of the saltwater taffy. That works for adults and kids alike. :D Two weeks from today we will be sailing away!

Thanks Tammie! I'm so excited for you guys. Yes, T will figure it out 1st I'm sure, LOL. We are going to tell them Easter weekend, as I can't wait until Christmas to tell them. They keep talking about having a turn to cruise & I've already almost slipped up a few times. The ports are Isla Roatan, Belize & Cozumel, so 7 days. It is booked, they just don't know. My parents are going too. ;):D

Saltwater taffy - definitely!!! And I was wondering the same thing about the love boat on DVD - that would be great!

I got a bunch of things for the cabin - like a multiple plug thing and travel air freshener in an island scent, ...

DS suggested a speedo like in that stupid beer commercial! Will see if I can get a friend to sew a fake speedo - not paying $$ for a real one! That would definitely have to be one of the last gifts - right there with the bonine!

I don't think he will guess it because we are taking kids on a cruise this fall so if anything he will think we are just getting him stuff for that trip. I didn't plan to do two cruises (have not cruised in years) but I had already booked birthday cruise when he decided to take the whole family in the fall!!

Thanks for the great ideas I only need about 4 or 5 more now!!

I ordered luggage tags for our cruise in Octobr from e-bay, they have a picture of the ship on it, the date and what ports we are going to and then on the back I had their name printed on it..make a nice souviner..;)

Sunscreen, sunglasses, cruise clothing(shorts, flip-flops, etc.), memory cards for a camera, a CD of reggae muisc or with other songs that get you in the cruising mood would all hint at a cruise, without giving it away! Good Luck!!

Joe VS the Volcano - not obvious, but definately ocean travel there

Boat Trip (Cuba Gooding JR)

Out to Sea (Jack Lemmon, Water Matthau)

Boat trip would be HILARIOUS....anyone whos seen it i think would agree lol... the pack of lifesaver idea was cute...What port are you leaving out of, if your from out of state maybe a gator for the florida ports, or any other cheesy souvenir for that area:D

This probably isn't what you had in mind, but we gave our kids a cruise for Christmas. We had personalized M&Ms made up like you see for weddings. We picked four colors that were various shades of blueish green (like the ocean). On them, we had printed "we are going"..."on a cruise"...August 6, 2011" and on the fourth color we had a ship printed on it. The idea turned out better than we thought. Each got a bag and they all opened them at once. The apprehension of waiting to see who would pick up on the wording first was excruciating for my wife and I, but in a good way. For days after, every time one of them grabbed a few M&Ms, it brought up excited discussions about the cruise.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

What a great idea!! Very creative!!!

love the M&M idea!

the Love Boat is definitely on DVD. I netflixed them before my last cruise!

we did this for a friend a long time ago. the only things I remember getting are those rubber duckies.

stack of $1 bills (for tipping)

This probably isn't what you had in mind, but we gave our kids a cruise for Christmas. We had personalized M&Ms made up like you see for weddings. We picked four colors that were various shades of blueish green (like the ocean). On them, we had printed "we are going"..."on a cruise"...August 6, 2011" and on the fourth color we had a ship printed on it. The idea turned out better than we thought. Each got a bag and they all opened them at once. The apprehension of waiting to see who would pick up on the wording first was excruciating for my wife and I, but in a good way. For days after, every time one of them grabbed a few M&Ms, it brought up excited discussions about the cruise.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

this is way too cute! i love this idea!

Archived