Gifts that "hint" of Cruise

KentuckyKat

I am giving my DH a surprise cruise for his B-day. I want to give him a bunch separately wrapped gifts that "hint" at a cruise -- some subtle, some not so subtle :rolleyes: -- then reveal the cruise at the end. I need some help coming up with gift items. They need to be as inexpensive as possible or things we would end up buying anyway.

Thanks!

How long before his birthday?

a $25.00 funship dollar for his onboard spending. (it takes 7 days to receive)

Are you doing water activities? a disposable underwater camera.

I think a Funship Dollar would be a little obvious and give it away too fast...

How about a new tie for cruise elegant night. Or you could do a "summers coming gift basket" a new swimsuit, a cheap pair of sandals, sunscreen and aloe. If you do water activities maybe a new snorkle set. I really like the underwater camera idea the PP mentioned. Maybe you could find a cheaper model ship at a hobby shop or even WalMart... Travel size toiletries...sunglasses and a hat...

Good Luck!!! I brought my husband the COOLEST luggage tags home the other day. I got them at a CVS where i live. They are thick rubber plastic with a cruise ship printed on them and they say CRUISIN! :)

I did this 2 Xmases ago for my boyfriend.

I bought a bunch of travel toiletries...toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, etc and put that in his stocking. I got him sunblock & a snorkel set. After opening all that he still had no idea.

I also purchased some Fun Ship dollars that can be applied to your account for On Board Credit, so I took the envelope that it came in and put the cruise booking paper behind the OBC. It was priceless to see his face. He opened it & read the OBC paper, then moved on to the paper behind it & you could see his face go from confusion at first to pure joy.

18374_240881768143_510818143_3370794_7694695_n.jpg

This probably isn't what you had in mind, but we gave our kids a cruise for Christmas. We had personalized M&Ms made up like you see for weddings. We picked four colors that were various shades of blueish green (like the ocean). On them, we had printed "we are going"..."on a cruise"...August 6, 2011" and on the fourth color we had a ship printed on it. The idea turned out better than we thought. Each got a bag and they all opened them at once. The apprehension of waiting to see who would pick up on the wording first was excruciating for my wife and I, but in a good way. For days after, every time one of them grabbed a few M&Ms, it brought up excited discussions about the cruise.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

We surprised my family with a cruise a couple years ago and we gave them each a gift to open, one at a time. We were going to the Mexican Riviera.

1st Gift ~ Tiny Sombrero (Oriental Trading Company)

2nd Gift ~ Tiny Pinata (Oriental Trading Company)

3rd Gift ~ Tiny Maracas (Oriental Trading Company)

4th Gift ~ Small Passport (local scrapbooking store)

5th Gift ~ Tiny suitcase (online doll company)

6th Gift ~ Tiny Carnival Cruise Ship (online kids toy but was a carnival ship)

It was pretty funny watching their faces...and they had no idea what was going on until they got to the cruise ship and even then they were scratching their heads. Then I handed them a CRUISIE BOOK that I had made for each of them with all the details of the ship/excursions, etc. They loved it!

Good Luck!!! I brought my husband the COOLEST luggage tags home the other day. I got them at a CVS where i live. They are thick rubber plastic with a cruise ship printed on them and they say CRUISIN! :)

Cute! I'm going to go look for these! Do you remember which section you found them in? I hope the have them in California and not just Florida. :)

Three years ago, we took our 2 teenagers, 17 & 18 on a spring break cruise. It was our son's freshman year at college and our daughter's senior year in high school and we wanted to do a family vacation together as they were apart much of the school year.

At our usual weekly sushi night, we had the sushi chef hid 2 ornaments within the love boat we always order. Their faces were priceless as their chopsticks hit the ornaments, One was a cruise ship that I personalized with ship name and date and the another was a poker hand with a slot machine dangling from it as our oldest was turning 18 before the cruise and he could gamble for the first time on RCL Radiance. They were speechless and couldn't wait to get home to read the cruise info/brochure we had waiting at home.

Such good ideas, wish I had known before. For our friends traveling w/ us, we got TSA locks, passport cases and funship dollars. Once we board on 3/26 they will also find the chocolate strawberries in their cabin~

how about as one of the first gifts a solid white hand towel... :) Think towel animals but they might just see it and be completely confused....

I would second the lanyard, and smaller shampoo etc items as well as a reading book with a beach or travel theme...

I had the pleasure of this being done for me as a birthday surprise.

One of the items I received was a captain's hat. You can get a cheap one at party supply stores.

http://www.buy.com/prod/captains-boat-yachting-yacht-sailing-fishing-hat-cap/q/sellerid/24396501/loc/64935/211349142.html

Yes, & anything else with a nautical theme. Something with an anchor icon, pack of life savers, etc! How about a cheesy mix tape/CD of sailing songs?

i did this 2 xmases ago for my boyfriend.

i bought a bunch of travel toiletries...toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, etc and put that in his stocking. I got him sunblock & a snorkel set. After opening all that he still had no idea.

i also purchased some fun ship dollars that can be applied to your account for on board credit, so i took the envelope that it came in and put the cruise booking paper behind the obc. It was priceless to see his face. He opened it & read the obc paper, then moved on to the paper behind it & you could see his face go from confusion at first to pure joy.

18374_240881768143_510818143_3370794_7694695_n.jpg

loved your story!!!!

HOW ABOUT A CAPTAIN'S HAT???? A toy boat??? Swim fins?

Archived