Cruise ship salaries

See my comments in red above.

Yes, of course they have expenses back home. I was referring to ONBOARD expenses. They receive free room, food, medical coverage, etc.

Workweek.... yes, 10 hour shifts at 7 days per week is 70 hours per week. This is the Carnival cruise lines goal. At times they do have to work more, but according to maritime regulations, they can work many more hours than that. Carnival tries to keep schedules to 70.

this is all data that I was given at the Behind the Fun tour.

Yes, of course they have expenses back home. I was referring to ONBOARD expenses. They receive free room, food, medical coverage, etc.

Workweek.... yes, 10 hour shifts at 7 days per week is 70 hours per week. This is the Carnival cruise lines goal. At times they do have to work more, but according to maritime regulations, they can work many more hours than that. Carnival tries to keep schedules to 70.

this is all data that I was given at the Behind the Fun tour.

I won't dispute what you were told, but if this is in fact the case, then this is the reason for all of the "service cutbacks" that everyone talks about here on CC. Because, from my experience, working the ships, no one worked less than 12 hours a day (potato peeler to Captain), and most front of house service positions were 13-14 hours a day. And this would be surprising to me, because if they wanted to cut payroll, instead of having 900 crew working 10 hours a day, they could get the same man-hours using 650 crew working 14 hours a day, and save on the crew's expenses.

Nobody is asking a particular person what they make' date=' i am sure the interest is more in the range of salaries[/quote']

Actually a poster, clearly stated they "asked" their waiter what they make. That is generally considered a rude question to ask. Not the original poster. This seems to be a widespread question on ships, and yet most people won't go up to a stranger in their office and ask the same question.

Actually a poster, clearly stated they "asked" their waiter what they make. That is generally considered a rude question to ask. Not the original poster. This seems to be a widespread question on ships, and yet most people won't go up to a stranger in their office and ask the same question.

That is very rude. Curious as to range of certain positions but not my business what my waiter or steward makes.