Level of Physical Difficulty - Dunns River Falls?

rpouls

Looking for input from those who have already done this excursion. How difficult is the climb? Is it really that physically challenging?

Thanks in advance for comments/input!

It is hard, but fun ...

4j-IMGP0395.jpg

4j-IMGP0397.jpg

We climbed Dunn River Falls last May and plan to climb again in a few weeks. We are seasoned cruisers in our 50's and had no trouble at all. Make sure you bring water shoes, the inexpensive ones from Walmart are fine for $5.00. Everyone holds hands and forms a chain and they will not let go of you. You follow the exact footsteps of the person in front of you. The water is not deep, no more than waist deep at some points. It might not be deep, but it sure is cold. Don't miss out, it was great fun.

If you haven't exercised since the 60's, have diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac arterial disease, a bad back, trick knee, think a BMI of 30+ is normal, smoke, or woke up that moring with a hangover, it might be a difficult climb.

Otherwise, enjoy!

If you haven't exercised since the 60's, have diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac arterial disease, a bad back, trick knee, think a BMI of 30+ is normal, smoke, or woke up that moring with a hangover, it might be a difficult climb.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Too funny!

I just climbed it a week ago!! Great fun, great experience. Second time for me. The guides are very helpful. If you look like you're struggling, they put you right behind them to help pull you along. Unless you're seriously overweight or have really bad knees/hips....go for it!!!

No problem mon!

Peg

When we went there were not as many people there. so no chain of people.

I'm short and I really not sure how well my daughter and I would have done if it were not for the very nice man who pulled us up on the taller rocks. We had a ball and would do it again in a heart beat.

But if your really out of shape not sure how well you would do.

We found that the way the guides do it with everyone holding hands is quite dangerous and watched an entire row of about 40 people go down because of one quite heavy out of shape person.(not that you asked my opinion on this!)

Average athletic ability is all that is required. It is more difficult for those who are shorter, heavier or have a medical condition.

We decided to do it without guides on our own with another family and a couple that rock climbs. We had three early teens, the other family had a 4 year old and 7 year old and then the very athletic climbers. We went up the center of the falls which is more difficult. We helped the children and my daughter quite a bit as they were tiny and had to be lifted. I struggled a bit as I'm 4'11". We had a blast! We covered the climb in half the time that the tour groups did.

Thanks for the info DaDivaMom - you're giving me more confidence that I can do this!

We found that the way the guides do it with everyone holding hands is quite dangerous and watched an entire row of about 40 people go down because of one quite heavy out of shape person.(not that you asked my opinion on this!)

Average athletic ability is all that is required. It is more difficult for those who are shorter, heavier or have a medical condition.

We decided to do it without guides on our own with another family and a couple that rock climbs. We had three early teens, the other family had a 4 year old and 7 year old and then the very athletic climbers. We went up the center of the falls which is more difficult. We helped the children and my daughter quite a bit as they were tiny and had to be lifted. I struggled a bit as I'm 4'11". We had a blast! We covered the climb in half the time that the tour groups did.

We did it a few years ago, did not find it overly hard, you move along pretty slow.

Will never go back though, not because of the falls but the overall Western experience was not good for us and do not know exactly what happened but no one from our cruise was allowed into the Miami airport when we arrived. We were all lined up on the sidewalk and had to empty each and every suitcase that we had so they could search them then we were allowed inside. Not a fun experience.

Wow! That's a LOT of people! I went in 1996 when I got married in Jamaica. It's not tough....it's a good climb though. Actually, funny story, at one point on the trek up, they wanted us to go under a small waterfall, one or two at a time. I was first one. The water was quite forceful and in those days I was not much more than 100lbs. Well, the guide was trying to help me through the rushing water but I got caught right in the furious flow and couldn't get through. I was waving my hands though the water back out at the people and my sil was trying to grab one of my hands....she knew exactly what had happened...I was stuck. I would zig, she would zag. Anyway, in the end, I decided just to jump out because I was trapped and couldn't breath. I jumped out, landing in a pool of water to get up with a giant gasp of air, to see 50 people, jaw on the ground staring at me and my sister in law motioning me to pull up my top. In the process of diving out of the waterfall, I lost my bikini top. :eek:

We did it a couple of years ago and I agree the slippery rocks are the most difficult issue. I saw a couple of people with bloody knees but nothing major. I would recommend taking a private tour. You still use the Dunn's guides, but they get you there earlier and you avoid the mass of people you see in the pictures above. They can also take you on another tour that you may not be able to book with the ship. We went on the tubing tour and at that time could not book both with Carnival.

Have fun.

We are doing the dolphin swim which includes dunns river falls. I don't care about climbing it, I just want to swim with the dolphins.

Do u have to climb it? Like u have to get to the top to go to the next place? My knees aren't the best and dislocate easily sometimes and do not want to ruin my vacation by popping my knee out!

Do u have to climb it? Like u have to get to the top to go to the next place? My knees aren't the best and dislocate easily sometimes and do not want to ruin my vacation by popping my knee out!

No you don't have to climb. There are stairs that parallel the falls, with a few overlooks.

Wow, that is a lot of people climbing! We booked with a private guide (Phil Lafayette, who was great by the way), and beat the mad rush. There was easily 75% less people than the pics posted. Loved it, I am glad that we done it. I think that as long as you are in reasonable shape you should be able to make it.

I second bringing water shoes, they really helped with gripping the limestone rock. It is not slippery like mountain rivers around here, the rocks were sort of "grippy" like sandpaper. The water is cold, and fast moving.

Wow! That's a LOT of people! I went in 1996 when I got married in Jamaica. It's not tough....it's a good climb though. Actually, funny story, at one point on the trek up, they wanted us to go under a small waterfall, one or two at a time. I was first one. The water was quite forceful and in those days I was not much more than 100lbs. Well, the guide was trying to help me through the rushing water but I got caught right in the furious flow and couldn't get through. I was waving my hands though the water back out at the people and my sil was trying to grab one of my hands....she knew exactly what had happened...I was stuck. I would zig, she would zag. Anyway, in the end, I decided just to jump out because I was trapped and couldn't breath. I jumped out, landing in a pool of water to get up with a giant gasp of air, to see 50 people, jaw on the ground staring at me and my sister in law motioning me to pull up my top. In the process of diving out of the waterfall, I lost my bikini top. :eek:

Do you have any pictures? :)

No, there is a path next to the falls that you can walk up (or down for that matter).

Otherwise, enjoy!

How did you get your hands on my medical records !!?? LOL

My Gr. dtr. and I went to Dunn river falls years ago and debated the climb. A young man who looked very athletic offered to help us if we wanted to try it but we declined. Later, back on the ship we saw the same guy with his ankle wrapped and he was in a wheel chair. He'd slipped and twisted his ankle near the top of the climb. As others have said, slippery in spots... have fun but be careful !!

Archived