Thoughts on morale obligation of cruise lines to offer refunds

What are your thoughts on morale obligation of cruise lines to offer cruisers refunds when they are unable to deliver advertised cruises, eg -

Cherry Blossom Cruise (Japan)

Egypt and the Holy Land

etc.

I realise the fine print allows cruise lines to change the itinerary, where necessary, and everyone understands the necessity to change ports of call, during a cruise, due to weather/sea conditions, etc.

However, I feel the cruise industry has a lot to loose if they don't handle the current situations, with empathy for booked cruisers. If cruisers have dreamt of cruising to Japan, Egypt, and the Holy Land etc., they should be offered a refund to cruise at a later date.

It depends on the reason. If the cause is outside of the cruise line's control, then I see no moral obligation whatsoever, unless the cruise is canceled (full refund) or cut short (pro-rated refund).

If the reason is due to negligence on the part of the cruise line then I believe that everyone is entitled to some sort of compensation.

In my opinion earthquakes and outside of the cruise line's control.

Agree that it depends on the reason. Where the cruise hasn't already sailed then there's more scope to offer compensation, but if a port is unavailable when already cruising then there's not much the line can do. (That's different from if the ship breaks down while underway so can't reach a port - that is the line's responsibility).

Most hotels in wintersports regions don't give you your money back if there is no snow. Most airlines do not offer refunds because of heavy snow, sandstorms or hurricanes. What Mother Nature does is outside human control. The cruiselines already do their utmost to provide other ports of call, like we have seen with Egypt when they all diverted to Cyprus, Turkey and Israel.

................ "We are confident that our guests will enjoy the interesting and unique new ports on this portion of our revised itinerary. As well, we will handle all arrangements and costs for Russian visas. There is no action required on the part of our guests. No special visas are required in Korea. We appreciate our guests understanding of this situation and patronage of Holland America Line. It is always our goal, however, to ensure that our guests have a choice in their cruise experience. [/B]Therefore, if a guest on the April 14th or May 2nd sailing of the ms Volendam wishes to cancel, they may do so with a full refund of all components of their booking purchased from Holland America Line if their request is received by April 4th, 2011. Affected guests and their travel agents are being notified of these changes.[/b]

To show our solidarity with the people of Japan and assist with their rebuilding efforts, Holland America Line will deliver a check for $25,000 to the Japanese Red Cross during our call in Kobe on May 2."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1377401

Well Done HAL!

Heres something else to consider , that was told to us by our old TA , who has since retired and had been in shipping all his life.

Cruise lines do not cancel a port of call lightly.

The ports are booked , sometimes many years in advance, and a substantial non refundable deposit is paid to the port, so that everything is ready for the ships call.

If they cant make the call for whatever reason, they lose that money.

There are other situations of course, such as Lyttleton, that has cancelled future cruise ship visits for the time being.

This is an interesting question. I do believe that "acts of God" i.e. earthquakes, tsunami, etc. are really beyond anything any shipping line can do anything about other than trying to keep their passengers safe and comfortable. Disappointing as it may be I would not expect compensation for a changed itinerary under these circumstances. However a friend recently took a cruise which had Port Moresby as part of the itinerary and friend had a special affinity with PNG and took that cruise specifically for that port. The visit was cancelled as they said it was "unsafe".....I don't think this port would be a place anybody would be advised to be wandering around on their own but it is always that way. The line should have tried to organise group tours rather than just cancel. Friend was very disappointed.

This one is simple IMHO, if it is the company's fault issue a refund. If it is something like an "act of God" or something like that there maybe a lot of good will but I see it like some other posters I'd be very very dissapointed but that is part of the deal.

I actually feel much more sorrow for the citizens of Japan, innocent people in Egypt and else where caught in the political turmoil and have had everything taken.

What are your thoughts on morale obligation of cruise lines to offer cruisers refunds when they are unable to deliver advertised cruises, eg -

Cherry Blossom Cruise (Japan)

Egypt and the Holy Land

etc.

I realise the fine print allows cruise lines to change the itinerary, where necessary, and everyone understands the necessity to change ports of call, during a cruise, due to weather/sea conditions, etc.

However, I feel the cruise industry has a lot to loose if they don't handle the current situations, with empathy for booked cruisers. If cruisers have dreamt of cruising to Japan, Egypt, and the Holy Land etc., they should be offered a refund to cruise at a later date.

Archived