What time will I get to the airport?

lindagav

I have been reading lots of threads, and taken the advice of when to book a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale post cruise and gone ahead and booked one. What I want to know is: what time can I expect to get off the ship (Crown in November) and to the airport if I don't do the early walk off? Oasis is in town the same morning too.

I booked a 10:30 flight, but my only concern is that the cruise is our last stop in the US after a month and I'm afraid I may have too many bags to walk off?

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Linda

is that 10.30 AM??????

and are you intending flying straight home??

If so, there is no way. as an Aussie would I attempt to catch a plane that early..even an American catching a domestic flight would be pushed...

Ft Lauder..and Mia are both big airports.(been there 3 times)

.you will have customs getting off the ship, which can take ages. then if you are flying home, you need to be at the airport 3 hrs ahead of your flight time..

most cruiselines say to book international flights after 2pm...

I have been reading lots of threads, and taken the advice of when to book a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale post cruise and gone ahead and booked one. What I want to know is: what time can I expect to get off the ship (Crown in November) and to the airport if I don't do the early walk off? Oasis is in town the same morning too.

I booked a 10:30 flight, but my only concern is that the cruise is our last stop in the US after a month and I'm afraid I may have too many bags to walk off?

Linda

Lots of ifs here. if the ship is in on-time, if customs is on time and fully staffed, if there aren't too many other ships in port you might make it. However, what happens if you miss the flight? What are the backup alternatives? My suggestion is to worry more about those first, then decide how much you want to risk on ifs. Why end a cruise worrying about disembarkation?

Go to the pursers desk and request to be in the first group to disembark after the walk off group. This will not be a problem for you to get in that group but you must do this prior to the morning of disembarkation. Do not wait to disemark in whatever color group you are assigned by Princess. There are plenty of taxis waiting.

Thanks for your answers guys. We are flying back to LA with another day or two there before we head home, so I guess worst case scenario we could still grab a later flight to LA without too many dramas.

Linda

Thanks for your answers guys. We are flying back to LA with another day or two there before we head home, so I guess worst case scenario we could still grab a later flight to LA without too many dramas.

Linda

oh that's better....I was worried about you, it's costly to change international flights.

If you were flying back to Australia with a flight change, you'd have to be checked in two hours before your flight. Since you're taking a domestic flight and staying in LA, you have a little more flexibilty. You would need to be checked in by 9:30am for a 10:30am flight, preferably earlier. November is the start of the tourist season in south Florida so expect long lines to check in and go through Security. You should plan to be at the airport by 8:30am to allow time for this. Which means you should disembark by 8am; earlier, if possible.

Linda

If you do the self walk off you will have no problem making a 10:30 flight. I do it all the time with plenty of time to spare. I am usually at the airport checked in and waiting by 8:30. There will be no line for taxi's and plenty of them, the airport is only about 10-15 mins away. Leaving the port is no problem no matter how many ships are in port. There is no need to go through security so therefore no traffic jam. :)

Do not wait to disemark in whatever color group you are assigned by Princess.

Bad advice.

Color groups are not called until the luggage for that group is available in the terminal.

Getting off earlier than your color group can result is a wait inside the terminal until the luggage is available.

The more I travel these days, the more I hate tight connections. Sometimes this is unavoidable when time is limited, but with so many variables that can affect travel schedules I usually prefer to allow more time at the airport...better to be sipping a bloody Mary than stressing out in a line.

That being said, 10:30 out of FLL is very doable...

Archived