Bringing wine onboard

dawne577

Thanks, I actually bought the tickets on line through one agent who left. This gal just happened to be the person who answered the phone when I called back so she took the account.

I will be smarter next time. :o

Thank you all for your advice, it is very helpful.

After reading so many serious posts on how to avoid corkage, as a joke, DW and I are thinking of taking one of our $150 Double Magnums (equivalent to 4 bottles) just to see the reaction of Maitre De and the waiters and the other diners! Spigotage fee sounds more intriguing. But quite seriously, remember that the waiter gets a percentage (50%?) of the corkage as his/her tip. It is customary not to charge corkage on a wine that is on the ship's wine list. On our last cruise, the waiter knew that our Beringer was far better than the one on the ship and said so. He did not charge us corkage. After dinner, we told him we would express our "appreciation" at the end of the cruise and we did just that. /Sultan

I can confirm that this is not true. This is one of the reasons a waiter or waitress may or may not charge you for the corkage. It's no loss to him/her whether they do or not. We have had times when the Head Waiter was around when the waiter was opening wine for us, and yes, we got charged the corkage. If it was just "the waiter and us" rarely a fee. We usually slip the waiter a tip early on in the cruise if we are going to bring our own wine.

We brought 4 1.5L bottles of wine on with us (group of 4, 10 day cruise), and we did not drink any in the dining room. No Corkage fee for the room, and our cabin stweard (James Ponce de leon) kept our ice bucket full and kept fresh, nice wine glasses in our cabin every day. We were on deck 11 which had a nice little balcony aft, and every night at sunset the four of us would take a bottle out there and enjoy. He would bring us an extra bucket with Ice to keep the bottle cold too!

We solved the corkage fee problem. No corks.

Actually, we take a few boxes. Laugh all you want, but there really is okay wine and NO BREAKAGE and much easier to pack a 5 ltr box than 5 bottle.s

Cheese anyone?

We, too, have taken wine on board, and on the Sun a couple of weeks ago, on a couple of occassions actually took an unopened bottle to a bar, had it opened for us, and since the waiter was interested in our South African selections, did not charge us corkage when we offered him a small tasting sample. After a quiet drink there, we would then take our glasses and bottle into the dining room for dinner.

Wow, mass qualtities of 1.5 liters of wine, even wine in boxes. Are we really trying to learn how we can get around a corkage, spigot, or even screw-top fee? I found the wine and liquor fees to be quite reasonable for the offered selections on board. If anyone really insisted on bringing their own wines on board because of a limited availability, the corkage fee in the dinning rooms should be the least of their concerns.

The good news is you can bring any form of wine on board and drink it in your cabin, no extra fees.

The Princess liquor prices are really quite good so I am happy to send myself "bon voyage" liquor. Absolute is Absolute, no matter where you buy it.

Wine is a very different story. I know what I like and I will bring it with me.

Paying a $10 corkage fee at if I want to bring my own wine to the dinner table is perfectly reasonable.

Archived