Corkage Question - Dining Room

troywest

Azamara includes wine -in the dining room- in its base price.

Do they really charge a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room - or to one of the specialty restaurants ?

I know what the printed materials say. I was just wondering if the charge is made in actual practice.

Azamara includes wine -in the dining room- in its base price.

Do they really charge a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room - or to one of the specialty restaurants ?

I know what the printed materials say. I was just wondering if the charge is made in actual practice.

That's an interesting question now that wine is included. It could go two ways.

My first thought is that you will be saving Azamara money by not drinking the included wine so why would they charge you to drink your own.

Second thought is "These are people who appreciate really good wine and won't be buying it from Azamara. We should charge them corkage to make up for the revenue we lost because they didn't buy our more expensive wine."

I'm not a wine drinker and would not know a good wine from a bad wine. I have been told that the wine prices have been reduced, so it might be more reasonable to buy the wine aboard. Of course if they don't have the wine that you want it would be a moot point.

I'm sure Bill can tell us.

IIRC the corkage is low -maybe only $10? I haven't direct experience with Az and bringing our own wine to dinner. Azamara offers 50% off selected wine choices in all the dining rooms in addition to the daily complimentaries which I think is a very nice touch for anyone wanting to try something different.

Unfortunately we ran out of steam by the evening after experiencing wines at lunch, tastings and a number of Club Voyage get-togethers that meant a glass was all we needed. We like our wine, but don't OD :)

When we were in europe on Azamara we would pick up interesting wines and champagnes in the ports. If they were served at dinner then we paid a corkage. Cannot remember whether it was $10 or $15. It was still worth it as we were able to try wines we hadnt tried before that were not available here in Canada.

I am not positive, but I believe there i still a corkage fee. On our last two cruises there were a few nights that we did not particularly like the free wine. The wine offered on the menu for purchase was half price, which was a very good deal and usually about the same as we would have paid off ship at a store.

Just got off the Quest, their pricing at 50% off their Wine List was better by far than any other ship we have traveled on. Now if we can just get rid of the terrible lung infection we both picked up on the Quest life will be great again.

We took two half-bottles of my favourite desert wine [not stocked by Azamara] onto Quest in February and, although expecting to pay $10 corkage for both, we were charged nothing. As the wine was looked after extremely well on board, $10 would have been a very reasonable charge. However, we spend well on other wines whilst on board, including desert wine for my husband, so Azamara did not really loose much by not charging corkage!

Sue

Archived