MTD - ok to not show up??

We've reserved times for our May cruise, but I'm concerned about making them all. If I'm not going to make a reserved time at MTD, do I call to cancel or possibly rebook? I'm not sure if the MTD reservation is a true reservation, or more of a courtesy hold in line. Any insight you can provide will be appreciated.

It would be courteous to call and cancel, since someone else will be standing there asking for a table. If they have to wait until the Maitre D' finally decides that you are actually not going to show up, as a result of your inaction.......well, that's rude.

We let our wait staff know when we were going to another venue or in one case the captains table...the staff commented on seeing us front and center that next night...

Even though the wait staff gets tipped regardless, they do wonder if you don't show up, are you sick were you not happy with their service etc...?

I asked the lady at the check in counter, she said if it is for a party of 2 or 3, you don't need to cancel if you are not going to show up.

They want you to be happy. They want you to tip. They want you to think that "it's your vacation". They will also tell you, when you say that you aren't coming to dinner in the MDR on formal night because you didn't bring appropriate clothes, "Oh, it's ok. Wear anything you want. Come."

The fact remains that you are displacing someone who is waiting for a table.

We've reserved times for our May cruise, but I'm concerned about making them all. If I'm not going to make a reserved time at MTD, do I call to cancel or possibly rebook? I'm not sure if the MTD reservation is a true reservation, or more of a courtesy hold in line. Any insight you can provide will be appreciated.

I think the general rule should be that, if you reserve a specific time and are not going to honor it, you should notify the staff in the dining room. If you simply show up each evening at whatever time you choose, you don't need to do anything on any evening that you decide to dine elsewhere.:)

I happen to love the traditional dining option and look forward to dining with my same tablemates and getting to know them. Whenever a table mate hasn't shown up to dinner - it makes me sad.:(. Not that I don't like the company of everyone else.... but if you dine traditional style - its partially because you like having the same tablemates - and - having them show up. We ask for a 10 top table for that very reason -

I refuse to make reservations for MTD. We have received over 6 emails asking us to make reservations for MTD. (oops, just realized that's because of the B2B) But anyway, we're not making reservations. We don't mind waiting a bit for a table. On our last 14 night cruise we ate in the main dining room once. :D

Now that they have sucked you into their evil plot of reserved dining times...I don't know what you should do. ;) I guess cancelling would be the polite thing to do. If I wanted to eat at a fixed time...I would have reserved traditional times. We found MTD to be very liberating.....:D:):D

We've reserved times for our May cruise, but I'm concerned about making them all. If I'm not going to make a reserved time at MTD, do I call to cancel or possibly rebook?

I think this really is the crux of the matter. Some people do not make reservations for MTD; you did. Therefore, indeed, if you know you will not make it the next evening I think you should definitely mention it. It's considered polite.

Have a great cruise. :)

Archived