Balcony Smoking

soawreanh

You haven't heard, you can't smoke in the parking lot at the mall or in your car parked at the mall (seriously big mall in Syracuse). You must be a minimum of 20 feet outside from any public building, no smoking in any public park. All of these locations if caught you will be ticketed and fined. At some beaches in California, there is no smoking on the beach!

Anyways, I joke that we are now criminals.

You can't smoke inside any public space in California, and you can't even smoke on the outdoor patios of restaurants in L.A. anymore. Must be 20 ft away here too. In L.A., you can't even smoke near food trucks.

Thank goodness........same here in Ca. I get sooo urked when I see mom or dad puffing away with child behind them in a car seat:rolleyes:

If a parent permits a 16 year old smoke ........that is a whole other thread:rolleyes:

Boyfriend is 17, girlfriend is 16, they both smoke (now it has nothing to do with parents), police can (and have) charged the boyfriend for smoking in a car with a child. You don't find this ridiculous? Two things bother me:

1. they are both kids,

2. Big Brother has found us, and next someone is going to tell me what I can do in my home.

BTW, I'm a former 2 pack a day smoker, but I still believe in smokers rights and that non-smokers have the right to not go where smokers go, not that we have the right to treat smokers as criminals or lepers. I believe there should be smoking bars and restaurants (and other places of entertainment). I have the right and knowledge to make a decision whether or not to enter the premises. If I choose to go into a smoking establishment, I do NOT have the right to complain.

Just as I believe men should have the right to private gyms and clubs (women have them) and I don't believe they should have to share with women. Nor do I believe we as women have the right to complain about it. My DH would like to enjoy a gym, but at 64 years old, he does not want a 20 something young woman bouncing around him, he wants to hang out with the guys his age. Tell me what's wrong with this?

People don't smoke in my home, but I do provide ashtrays in my backyard around the pool.

Maybe you should drive your car, let others do as they please! None of your business what happens in other cars! Nicotine fascist!!!

Wow, you're a little out of line. I'm a smoker and I agree with her. Smoking in a car with a child should be considered child abuse.

Boyfriend is 17, girlfriend is 16, they both smoke (now it has nothing to do with parents), police can (and have) charged the boyfriend for smoking in a car with a child. You don't find this ridiculous? Two things bother me:

1. they are both kids,

2. Big Brother has found us, and next someone is going to tell me what I can do in my home.

In Calif. it is all minors under 18 ........I guess in your country a 17 year old is considered an adult? You said yourself they are both kids.

What I find is ridiculous is any minor smoking or having to be subjected to it.....Big brother shouldn't be keeping our kids safe.....their parents should JMHO.

I will be booking a cove balcony on the Carnival Magic here pretty soon.....We are smokers, since they are kinda closed in do you think people are going to complain...

However, I am not going on a cruise to sit on the balcony and smoke....You will find us out there first thing in the morning and maybe at night before bed..... I can come home and sit on the porch and smoke....lol I will be too busy exploring this beautiful ship.

Both non-smokers and smokers have equal rights to cruise with a balcony room.

The smokers have a right to enjoy a cigarette on their balcony.

The non-smokers have a right to enjoy a smoke free balcony.

The problem is, when the smoker is sitting on his/her balcony smoking, there is a good chance their smoke is bothering the non-smoker on the next balcony. But, when the non-smoker is sitting on his/her balcony, they are not bothering the smoker. (unless they are doing something else that is bothersome, but this is a thread about smoking, not other bad habits, lol).

By default, this makes the smokers the bad guys. It is what it is. Smokers ARE causing bad air for non-smokers. Non smokers are not causing bad air. (yeah, yeah, unless they are passing gas, but like I said, this is a smoking thread, not a bodily functions thread ;))

Bottom line is, both sides have equal rights, but both sides cannot exercise their equal right at the same time, in the same space. And right now the smokers (i.e. the "bad guys") are the winners so to speak, because smoking is allowed. If the balconies are ever made non-smoking, the non-smokers will be the winners. Which means half of the guests will always be unhappy. (or maybe it's not half anymore... I would love to know how many smokers vs. non-smokers are on any given ship)

And if the entire ship is ever made non-smoking, my guess is there would then be a new kind of smuggling going on - and pages and pages of threads devoted to the cleverest way to do it.

OK so I am hoping I won't need to worry about where I smoke on my next cruise. First day smoking the E-cigarette and its not too bad so far. Different experience then smoking real cigarettes but not hitting withdrawal too bad. Anyone that wants to wish me luck cause I'm gonna need it.

I will be booking a cove balcony on the Carnival Magic here pretty soon.....We are smokers, since they are kinda closed in do you think people are going to complain...

Of course someone is going to complain, how else are they going to enjoy their vacation!!

OK so I am hoping I won't need to worry about where I smoke on my next cruise. First day smoking the E-cigarette and its not too bad so far. Different experience then smoking real cigarettes but not hitting withdrawal too bad. Anyone that wants to wish me luck cause I'm gonna need it.

Good luck! :)

Of course someone is going to complain, how else are they going to enjoy their vacation!!

:rolleyes:

In December 1992 I quit smoking after 23 years and being up to 2 packs a day of the real tar and nicotine. I not only wish you luck, but offer myself as a resource should you feel the need to chat about the ups and downs of quitting.

I know you can and will do it, and that it's not easy. I'm also not going to tell you all the health benefits, lord knows there's plenty of people willing do to this for you. What I will tell you is soon you will have two hands free for a DOD and if we happen to be on the same cruise, I'll pay for one of them!

You haven't heard, you can't smoke in the parking lot at the mall or in your car parked at the mall (seriously big mall in Syracuse). You must be a minimum of 20 feet outside from any public building, no smoking in any public park. All of these locations if caught you will be ticketed and fined. At some beaches in California, there is no smoking on the beach!

Anyways, I joke that we are now criminals.

I still smoke in the parking lot there... If I've got to walk a mile to my car at Christmas time, after I've spent just as much at the mall as a non-smoker, you bet I'm having a cigarette on my way back to the car and in the car!! The mall cops just slap you on the hand anyway.

Good Luck!

In December 1992 I quit smoking after 23 years and being up to 2 packs a day of the real tar and nicotine. I not only wish you luck, but offer myself as a resource should you feel the need to chat about the ups and downs of quitting.

I know you can and will do it, and that it's not easy. I'm also not going to tell you all the health benefits, lord knows there's plenty of people willing do to this for you. What I will tell you is soon you will have two hands free for a DOD and if we happen to be on the same cruise, I'll pay for one of them!

I'm worse...I quit once before...stay quit for almost a year...then started smoking again.

THat's why I like the e-cigarette. You can put juice in them that contains no nicotine so if you get the urge to smoke again you can without addicting yourself to the habit again.

SO far I don't miss putting any of that crap in my lungs.. The cinnamon roll vapor is working just fine for me

Wow, you're a little out of line. I'm a smoker and I agree with her. Smoking in a car with a child should be considered child abuse.

Not out of line at all......

Some probably consider spanking child abuse....

I see nothing wrong with smoking in the car with children, your choice if you do.

Smoking in a car with a child, now that is something totally different then smoking on a balcony of a ship , lol Im not even gonna say what I think about smoking in a car with a child, no need to stir this pot anymore. However, no matter what anyone thinks about it, its not against the law..(for now ) lol

sux2bhiskid :(

Beautifully said...I couldn't think of how to word it. As a child, my DF and DSM and DSF all chain smoked in the house and in the car. I would never subject any child to what I had to go through constantly breathing that crap in and reeking of it when I went to school because our house was a smoking pit.

You can't smoke inside any public space in California, and you can't even smoke on the outdoor patios of restaurants in L.A. anymore. Must be 20 ft away here too. In L.A., you can't even smoke near food trucks.

With Calif's money problems, I bet you will see Guv Moonbeam make some changes. Smoking everywhere, with the proper tax attached.

Archived