Marc in Huahine

Texas

Has anyone taken Marc's motu picnic lately? We had the best time with him on our 3 cruises on the Tahitian Princess. I just viewed his website, and the photos don't show the motu picnic that we took. I want to know if he still has the tables and chairs under the canopy in the water, along with the cooks and the band? Anyone who knows, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

We just took Marc's Tour again (for the 3rd time) last month. The motu picnic is alive and well and everything is as you remember it, from the band to the cooks to the covered tables in the water. Great tour, and lots of fun for the entire group, as always. Even rain last month didn't stop the die hards from being in the water on the Motu, they just covered their beer with their thumb so as not to dilute it. lol

Toto thanks for the feedback. The photos on his website show people sitting on a wooden picnic table and no shade.

Toto glad to see you are still on the boards. We were very active back in the early days of Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess - 2003, 2004 and 2006. Very disappointing to see Princess has practically stopped going to Tahiti. I keep hoping they will open up more cruise dates.

Toto thanks for the feedback. The photos on his website show people sitting on a wooden picnic table and no shade.

I checked out Marc's website and you are correct, it doesn't show the shaded tables there, but they are definitely still offered. (see the picture below from last years visit, as I still haven't posted all my pictures from last months trip as they are still on my netbook). But it was the same this past March as in years past.

2375212080046132864S425x425Q85.jpg

I doubt you will see Princess offer more sailings around Tahiti in the near future. The flight costs alone (and the length of them) make it difficult for them to fill the ships. They ran into this problem several years ago and gave killer deals to get those ships filled, but I haven't seen any great deals lately. With limited sailings, they seem to have an easier time of getting those ships filled up, and as long as they sail without huge waitlists, I would guess they will continue to limit the sailings.

We are headed back to Tahiti in October, but only to Papeete (yuck), Moorea and Bora Bora for our 10th visit there. But this will be on the Sapphire Princess on our 28 day RT LA sailing. Should be interesting on a ship of this size.

This past visit in March, I couldn't believe it but after all these years, we had two ships in port in Bora Bora for all three days we spent there on that B2B. One ship doing it's world cruise (a huge P&O ship) and the PG on the next stop for both days.

I would guess that this past trip will be our last flying in or out of Tahiti for this cruise. That ATN flight was a killer this time, I swear they have made the seats even smaller than they were in the past to cram in more passengers. So for us, it will be sailing out of Hawaii, or cruises that do a RT from the U.S., but no more 8.5 hour flights to or from on ATN for us anymore.

Enjoy your cruise!

Has anyone taken Marc's motu picnic lately? We had the best time with him on our 3 cruises on the Tahitian Princess. I just viewed his website, and the photos don't show the motu picnic that we took. I want to know if he still has the tables and chairs under the canopy in the water, along with the cooks and the band? Anyone who knows, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

We did Marc's tour last fall and the motu picnic was our favorite part of the tour. There were tables and chairs in the water and we had an umbrella on our table. There were about seven people in the group cooking, serving, and performing. The group was very entertaining and the food was delicious. It was the first port of call on our cruise and it did a great job of setting the tone for our vacation.

Have a great cruise. Kimberly

Kimberly is absolutely right ! ! ! ! ! The best tour we have ever taken. We were lucky enough to be on the same trip with Kimberly and it was our second time with Marc. He never fails to deliver an outstanding tour. Food, set up, entertainment, everything is top notch and just as we remembered it before.:):):)

Toto glad to see you are still on the boards. We were very active back in the early days of Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess - 2003, 2004 and 2006. Very disappointing to see Princess has practically stopped going to Tahiti. I keep hoping they will open up more cruise dates.

I wish they would go in our summer! We did Renaissance and it was in July--ship was full. We did Princess in Dec/Jan, and Marc's xcurs'n was the one we had to cancel--it POURED. No way could we do anything. VERY disappointed....

I wish they would go in our summer! We did Renaissance and it was in July--ship was full. We did Princess in Dec/Jan, and Marc's xcurs'n was the one we had to cancel--it POURED. No way could we do anything. VERY disappointed....

Yes, we had rain for part of Marc's Tour this past March also, didn't stop us though (rain usually comes and goes, and only one time visiting Tahiti did we find rain amost every single day that rarely stopped for more than a few moments, but that is very rare). The problem with that is Princess repositions many of the ships to Alaska and other parts of the world (such as the Med) during the summer months when there is warmer weather and demand is higher for those ports. Where as in Tahiti, it is always warm, just sometimes it can have more rain then other times.

Yes, we had rain for part of Marc's Tour this past March also, didn't stop us though (rain usually comes and goes, and only one time visiting Tahiti did we find rain amost every single day that rarely stopped for more than a few moments, but that is very rare). The problem with that is Princess repositions many of the ships to Alaska and other parts of the world (such as the Med) during the summer months when there is warmer weather and demand is higher for those ports. Where as in Tahiti, it is always warm, just sometimes it can have more rain then other times.

On our sailing we were blesses with wonderful weather, only a little rain for a few minutes one sea day. The only other rain I saw was on the Safari in the higher terrain in Tahiti.

The skies were BLACK with no sign of let up. NOBODY ws there to meet us. Windy and raining like there was no tomorrow. And right next to all those horrid skies---beautiful blue ones.....To bad it couldn't be trades. It rained ALL day.

They still should go in the summer, re po's or not. Other ships go to the Carib and it's hot there too...

The skies were BLACK with no sign of let up. NOBODY ws there to meet us. Windy and raining like there was no tomorrow. And right next to all those horrid skies---beautiful blue ones.....To bad it couldn't be trades. It rained ALL day.

They still should go in the summer, re po's or not. Other ships go to the Carib and it's hot there too...

Yes, but it's much easier for them to fill the ships for the Caribbean, Alaska and Europe then for Tahiti, therefore, they don't sail around Tahiti in the summer months. I think the Paul Gauguin has sailings during the summer months, you might want to look into that. Good Luck!

The Paul Gaugin is ridiculously expensive, that's why I don't look into them. That's why I really wish Princess would sail to Tahiti during the summer. I'd bet they'd fill up whatever ship!

I hope you find a way to visit Tahiti in the summer months, but honestly, if you are waiting for Princess to put a ship there in the summer just sailing around Tahiti, it's going to be a very long wait. In the 20 years we have sailed Princess (starting out with a sailing to Tahiti in the late fall way back when), they have never had a ship sail around Tahiti during summer months. Good luck on this though, I hope you get your wish!;)

FWIW -- November through April are considered "summer" months in the Southern Hemisphere. Now rainy/dry season(s) may be a different story altogether of course...Just thought I'd be an ass and throw that little fact out there.:rolleyes:

As for the thread's topic? (Having taken it a few months ago)Marc's tour = Grade AAA+ -- He absolutely takes the extra effort to set up and provide for a fun motu picnic tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone did Safari Jet with Marc ? Please comment. We will be in Huahine for one day, would like to know what's the must do, can't miss tour in huhine. We don't plan to do the picnic tour because we already booked one forBorabora.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The ship, Oceania's Regatta is on the island for a day this January. Where does Marc pick up the tour from? Not sure where ship's usually tender and whether it will be close to the cruiseship.

Thanks all!

Hi,

The ship, Oceania's Regatta is on the island for a day this January. Where does Marc pick up the tour from? Not sure where ship's usually tender and whether it will be close to the cruiseship.

Thanks all!

Marc is based out of Fare(the main town on the island)...However I am with the understanding that all cruise ships anchor in Maroe Bay via Farerea pass and tender to the dock in Maroe -- Which is where Marc comes to meet the tour group w/ his boat arriving through a narrow channel at the isthmus of the island).

Here is a map of the island to give a visualization:

huahine_map_large.jpg

Anyone heard from Marc lately? I have emailed him twice with no response for a tour in August.

I just received an email from him yesterday. Hopefully, you've received your response. :)

• 1 month later...
we will be on oceania regatta in may 2012 and plan to do marc's tour. how big are his boats and how easy/difficult is the access to get back in the boat when you are done snorkling, etc.?

marie

They are larger outriggers, motorized. He has several different boats we have been on (some have held about 12, others about 20), but they are all the same basic set up. You will have to climb a ladder to get back into the boat after snorkeling and the picnic on the Motu. These are not catamarans with steps (such as you might find in the Caribbean), but actual outrigger canoe types of boats. Not for someone with a disability or that can't climb up a ladder back into the boat. We had someone with a shoulder injury on our last tour, and they had a terrible time getting her back into the boat, even though there were several assisting her. She cancelled all of the rest of her outrigger canoe excursions that she had booked for the rest of the islands.

Archived