forts in nassau?

lesleyswimcoach

We walked to Fort Fincastle last year - that is a very doable walk but you do walk up a hill to get there. Of course, that's why the fort was built there. ;) Your eight year old should be fine, and would imagine the five year old would be OK as well with the walking.

We ended up walking there without going up the Queen's Staircase, but made sure we found it when returning to the port. If you do walk to that port, don't miss seeing the staircase. Well worth it.

Since you have young kids, note that there is a hospital close to the fort. Not that you would need their particular services, but if nature calls for the little ones, it is a handy place to keep in mind. There are public restrooms near the fort that are fine, too. Enjoy your visit!!

another recommendation for fort fincastle...

we walked there via the walking tour from frommers (it's number 7):

251_walkingtourhistoricnassau.jpg

walked from the port in the direction of the fort, but stopped at some of the points along the way... it's not very far though. took the queen's staircase up the 'hill'.

i wrote about it (and the walk there) in my review from the pride, starting here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1068189&page=52

here's a few photos:

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

Definitely Fort Fincastle. (as shown in the pictures in the post before mine)

I've been to Fort Fincastle 3 times and Fort Charlotte on our last cruise.

Fincastle is up on the hill with incredible views and the Gorgeous Queen's Staircase is at it's foot.

Charlotte is off to the north with a worse view of the port and overlooks a cricket field. (pitch?)

The Ardastra Zoo and Gardens is close to Fort Charlotte and your kids will love it.

Much smaller, but closer than a US Zoo.

http://www.ardastra.com/

The marching Flamingo show and hand feeding the tiny Lorry Parrots were both great.

You can actually do Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase and then catch a cab to Adastra Zoo in less than 10 minutes.

Bill

we happen to really like Nassau, it gets a bad rap from some people. We walked to Fort Finncastle and if my DH can walk it anyone can. There is always something new to see, the kids would like the Pirate Museum too.

we happen to really like Nassau, it gets a bad rap from some people. We walked to Fort Finncastle and if my DH can walk it anyone can. There is always something new to see, the kids would like the Pirate Museum too.

Another past guest at Fort Fincastle. It's small but I think an 8 year old would have fun. The admission price last November was a whopping $1... lol

There are pictures in the my review (link in the signature line). Feel free to browse. :)

~ Sheryl

We've done the walking tour including the Queens Staircase and Fort Fincastle a few times also. There are rest rooms right near the Queens Staircase and there is also some shade if you hit it on a sunny day. I also like Nassau and enjoy walking the main street checking out the stores, but doubt your kids would enjoy that.

We have walked to Fort Fincastle several times and went through the Staircase. Its an easy walk from the port and unless you want something organized its very easy to do on your own.

When you get close to the staircase there will be people who come up and offer to tell you about their town. Its up to you if you accept or not, but have some cash to tip.

There are some pretty views from the castle itself, but when you leave the castle walk around the front and follow the sidewalk that winds down. There are some really pretty views of the ships from that sidewalk.

Following the sidewalk also is a way to get back to town without going through the staircase.

another recommendation for fort fincastle...

we walked there via the walking tour from frommers (it's number 7):

I'd been to Nassau many many times, but it was after Mark posted his experience with the Frommers walking tour, that I decided to personally repeat his efforts.

I'm glad I did, as it was an enjoyable experience, and I encountered some places that I'd never visited previosuly, mainly because I either didn't know they existed, or wasn't aware you could enter as a guest.

Thanks, again, Mark!!

Often imitated, never duplicated, here are pictures from a self-guided walking tour.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

at the fort or forts or you choosing, if you see something of interest, there is nothing wrong with waiting for the next tour to show up and listen to the tour guide.

Any who, enjoy!

We took the #10 Jitney to Fort Charlotte in 2010 for just a couple of dollars per person. There is a small admission fee there. There was a man there who offered us a tour and he explained that the only payment he receives is from tips, but that we didn't have to tip. He did a great job and we did give him a nice tip.

We went to Fort Fincastle in 2008 and didn't pay to get in, but there weren't exhibits and all like at Fort Charlotte. I'm working out of town, but I will try and get pictures to upload sometime this weekend.

• 10 months later...
We took the #10 Jitney to Fort Charlotte in 2010 for just a couple of dollars per person. There is a small admission fee there. There was a man there who offered us a tour and he explained that the only payment he receives is from tips, but that we didn't have to tip. He did a great job and we did give him a nice tip.

We went to Fort Fincastle in 2008 and didn't pay to get in, but there weren't exhibits and all like at Fort Charlotte. I'm working out of town, but I will try and get pictures to upload sometime this weekend.

Alwalaska,

Did you ever upload pictures of Fort Charlotte? If yes, are they on a different message board? Thanks

These are great pictures on your Flickr. Thanks!

How much tip should I plan on giving to the tour guide?

It is really up to you. They give a long speach about tips being completely voluntary. At the fort, I think gave the guy something like $10.I'm sorry, I really don't remember. He was great. He took time to show us a dungeon area that other groups weren't taken to. He didn't go through with us, but waited for us to come back out. Once we were in the area where all the signs were, he gave us a brief overview then said something to the affect that if it was OK with us, he would leave us to look around on our own and go get another group.

Later, when we went to the St Anne's stairs, DH wanted to go up them, but I was too tired from our other walking around we had done. I sat on the stone wall at the bottom of the stairs while he went up. I enjoyed taking pictures and just people watching. There was another guide there who had given the little tip speach to a young couple and then went on to tell them about the stairs and all. They kept asking questions and he happily provided them with a ton of information. This went on for almost the whole time my husband was gone. Even though it was our 3rd trip to Nassau and I research like crazy, I learned a lot. When the couple was tired of listening, they walked away. Not only did they not tip, they didn't even say thanks. I walked over to him and handed him a $10 bill as well. I learned so much. He was really surprised and asked if I wanted a tour. I explained that he had just given me one without even realizing it. He was so gracious and we talked for quite a while longer after my husband came back down.

Archived