Chicago Dog on the Allure?

saus

Chicago Dog:

1 all-beef (preferably kosher) frankfurter on a poppy seed bun, with the following toppings:

yellow mustard, chopped white onions, sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers, and celery salt.

Any self-respecting Chicagoan will inform you these dogs crush the hot dog competition and that they are addictive.

The Dog House on the Allure has seven styles of sausage sandwich, but no Chicago Dog. In an effort to avoid going a full week without a Chicago Dog of some sort, I figure I'm going to have to bring the Chicago to the dog:

The bartenders should have celery salt on hand if they are making the occasional Bloody Mary.

The Windjammer or Park Cafe has to have tomato wedges, pickle spears and raw onion.

The Dog House advertises "American Mustard" and sweet relish. Is American Mustard yellow mustard? Americans had to have invented that stuff, right?

The Dog House offers a kosher all beef dog with their Coney Island dog. The bun is advertised as "traditional", so I assume I am out of luck on the poppy seed bun. Maybe I can scrape some poppy seeds off of a bagel at the Park Cafe in the morning.

Is anyone aware of a spot to pick up pickled sport peppers on the Allure? If not, I'm destined to hit the Naughty Room on day 1 of my cruise to pick up my suitcase stocked with a large bottle of IL Primo sports.

That’s a lot of thought and work for a hot dog.:)

Perhaps as you are so used to a Chicago dog, you might consider trying a new concoction from the dog house. Never know what you might like.

I hope you suffer no ill effects from one week without a Chicago dog.

M

That’s a lot of thought and work for a hot dog.:)

Perhaps as you are so used to a Chicago dog, you might consider trying a new concoction from the dog house. Never know what you might like.

I hope you suffer no ill effects from one week without a Chicago dog.

M

I agree. Plenty of other options and the ones that we tried were good.:)

My guess is a self respecting Chicagoan will call it a sausage sandwich and depending on how loyal they are to the Chicago dog, decline eating all sausage sandwiches out of respect for the Chicago dog. Same with the "pizza". And I'm sure there's people who would point towards the "coffee" as not being up to par.

Maybe go with a radically different sausage sandwich if you need to have something akin to a hot dog? If you have to recreate it, I suggest attempting to grease the hand of the waiter that comes to you with room service. They might be able to find all the ingredients.

I have no issue with using the superior Sahlen's hot dogs on a Chicago Dog (preferably char-broiled). The Chicago Dog just needs a quality frankfurter, then the other important things are the toppings. I do plan on trying some of the other dogs at the Dog House (particularly looking forward to the Sicilian). I figure my Chicago Dog exercise regimen will allow me to sample more than one without gaining too much weight.

Archived