First time flyer with questions?

Bixa525

As this will be my first time flying I am worried about overbooked flights or cancelled flights at the last minute that would keep me form arriving at my designated port. Does this happen often and if so what do you do about it?

I always recommend to fly in a day or more before your cruise because, yes, a cancelled or a delayed flight can lead to missing the ship. If you are starting your cruise in an international country outside the USA I recommend flying in more than a day early to also get over the jet lag.

In terms of overbooked flights, it's a good idea to check in for your flight earlier than what is required.

Again, my best advise is do not fly the day of the cruise.

Keith

i agree - do not fly in on the same day

we had the first leg of one of our flights cancelled -- which of course caused problems for our connecting flight -- we no longer have direct flights to anywhere anymore

the airline was able to get us on other flights -- not a good day -- but we did get there on the same day -- 2 days early for the cruise -- others in line behind us were not as lucky -- some were told that they would not get a flight out until the next day

and this was during good weather -- not a snow storm or rain storm

Generally, IF a flight is "over-booked", they will ask for volunteers to give up their seats...you certainly will NOT volunteer! So, the chances of you being "bumped" from your flight are slim, especially if you're an early arrival at the airport!!!

However, you can't control mechanical issues, weather or unforeseen circumstances...so DO fly the day prior. It's worth the hotel room cost!

As this will be my first time flying I am worried about overbooked flights or cancelled flights at the last minute that would keep me form arriving at my designated port. Does this happen often and if so what do you do about it?

This doesn't happen as often as you may think. Many flights go off without a hitch. The problem is, you only hear about the flights that have problems :rolleyes:

The number #1 tip you can follow is to fly at least one night in advance of your cruise. Then, if for some reason there is a problem, you have an extra day of "wiggle room" just in case. This time, and the flexibility it offers, is a huge benefit. In addition to that, you'll arrive in plenty of time to be well-rested before the cruise with no stress about making it on time. Take advantage of this time to enjoy a nice port city the night before, maybe do some sightseeing or get a nice meal while you're there.

Truly, there is a good chance that you won't face any flight issues, or if you do, that they will be minor (a 20 minute delay likely won't change your chances of boarding the ship in time). Flying in a day early HUGELY helps if their are cancellations, delays, or overbookings, but these tips will help a little if you do find yourself in that type of situation.

• Check your flight booking regularly between when you booked it and when you depart. A lot of times, you'll book flights several months before your vacation. Airlines sometimes change flight schedules, or cancel flights entirely, and rebook you accordingly. If you check (maybe once a month?), you'll know in advance if the situation has changed. If the new schedule doesn't work for you, you'll have time to call the airline and make alternate arrangements (i.e. a different flight time, a different connecting city for your route, or maybe cancel & rebook with a different airline).
  • Check in for your flight online as soon as you are able. If the flight's overbooked, you'll want to make sure they know you're coming ;)
  • Have the airline's phone number with you while traveling. IF for some reason your flight is cancelled, calling customer service to rebook is frequently faster than standing in line at the airport. To be even better prepared, have a schedule of their alternate flights ready. For example, if you're flying from Chicago to Miami, keep a list of the other flights on that route later that day, so you can request seats on the 3pm flight (or whatever it may be).
  • KNOW alternate airports - sometimes, you may be able to snatch a seat on a flight to a nearby airport rather than your original plans. Fort Lauderdale and Miami are close to each other, LAX or Long Beach is another example, and JFK, Laguardia, or Newark will all get you to New York City. Be flexible.

This doesn't happen as often as you may think. Many flights go off without a hitch. The problem is, you only hear about the flights that have problems :rolleyes:

The number #1 tip you can follow is to fly at least one night in advance of your cruise. Then, if for some reason there is a problem, you have an extra day of "wiggle room" just in case. This time, and the flexibility it offers, is a huge benefit. In addition to that, you'll arrive in plenty of time to be well-rested before the cruise with no stress about making it on time. Take advantage of this time to enjoy a nice port city the night before, maybe do some sightseeing or get a nice meal while you're there.

Truly, there is a good chance that you won't face any flight issues, or if you do, that they will be minor (a 20 minute delay likely won't change your chances of boarding the ship in time). Flying in a day early HUGELY helps if their are cancellations, delays, or overbookings, but these tips will help a little if you do find yourself in that type of situation.

• Check your flight booking regularly between when you booked it and when you depart. A lot of times, you'll book flights several months before your vacation. Airlines sometimes change flight schedules, or cancel flights entirely, and rebook you accordingly. If you check (maybe once a month?), you'll know in advance if the situation has changed. If the new schedule doesn't work for you, you'll have time to call the airline and make alternate arrangements (i.e. a different flight time, a different connecting city for your route, or maybe cancel & rebook with a different airline).
  • Check in for your flight online as soon as you are able. If the flight's overbooked, you'll want to make sure they know you're coming ;)
  • Have the airline's phone number with you while traveling. IF for some reason your flight is cancelled, calling customer service to rebook is frequently faster than standing in line at the airport. To be even better prepared, have a schedule of their alternate flights ready. For example, if you're flying from Chicago to Miami, keep a list of the other flights on that route later that day, so you can request seats on the 3pm flight (or whatever it may be).
  • KNOW alternate airports - sometimes, you may be able to snatch a seat on a flight to a nearby airport rather than your original plans. Fort Lauderdale and Miami are close to each other, LAX or Long Beach is another example, and JFK, Laguardia, or Newark will all get you to New York City. Be flexible.

I purposely quoted the whole things because it is really good advice. But the comment that it doesn't happen that often I have to partially disagree with.

Nowadays there are fewer flights and they are more packed so when something does go wrong it is harder to get on the next flight (remember there are several hundred that are trying to get on the same flight as you). So depending on where you are flying from and to and how many connections you have to have should determine whether you fly in a day (at least) or two early.

Second thing, if you are flying when weather can be an issue, Thunderstorms, Snow, even Rain (we got stuck in LAX for 6+ hrs because of heavy rain), give yourself more connection time (again the day early theory). But if you know something is coming, like a Blizzard; if you can leave early call the airlines, they will frequently let you move your flight up a day or two so they don't get stuck with thousands of people stranded. When weather is an issue and the flights get grounded it takes days to fix; for example, DH got stranded in Dallas when a surprised snowstorm hit, he had just landed. This was a Friday, they told him his rescheduled flight was Tuesday.

Enjoy Planning.

Where are you flying from and to and when as well what airline are you booked with?

It has become exceptionally rare that anyone is "bumped." When they overbook a flight, as they do more often than they used to (except for Mohawk Airlines which always overbooked every flight), they will, as someone has said offer passengers options. They will first ask if anyone wants to accept a voluntary bump and they will put them on the next flight, etc. As they get closer and still need voluntary bumps, they increase the financial offer. There are always a couple of people who will take the money and flights, so it has literally been many years since I have seen an involuntary bump. The penalties are so high, that they find someone.

This time of year, weather isn't too much of an issue unless there are some serious thunderstorms going on. I have obviously seen some long delays, but not many total cancellations in spring weather. There is a tremendous comfort factor in going in a day early, though in reasonable weather (not winter) I am not sure I would do it every time, but I would make sure that there is ample time for any weather, mechanical or other delay.

If the fertilizer hit the ventilator (this is a clean bulletin board!), you can likely get to Newark from Harrisburg one way of the other -- car, train, bus.

Like everything else, I would have emergency plans bouncing around, but I wouldn't go into panic mode yet.

You will be just fine. Like others have said, in a worse case scenario, you get a car and drive.

Just remember that many airlines charge you to check suitcases these days. If you try to do just airplane carry-on, you are not allowed to carry very many liquids. 3 oz or less, things that can fit in a sealed quart zip lock bag.

Enjoy your first flight!

Archived