Booked our first cruise (Carnival Dream) and have questions...

NICE forum! We've been digging around and checking threads for general information, but haven't run across any exchanges about air conditioning on board. SO - my wife (who speaks Russian fluently and English passably) doesn't really enjoy the air conditioned environment where she works - and is concerned about rumors that Carnival likes to really cool down the cabins and common indoor areas.

1) We reserved a balcony stateroom, port side forward on the Vista Deck. Will we be able to adjust the temperature of our room?

2) Would anyone recommend bringing along sweaters or jackets just in case? We are cruising the Western Caribbean in late May/early June.

3) Is there a link to any "most valuable" threads here that address advice to first-time cruisers?

All rooms have their own thermostat...you can adjust as needed.

I chill easily, and have never been freezing inside the ship. A thin sweater or wrap is easy to pack, if you should need it. You will NOT need jackets!

US Dollars are accepted. Some small vendors only take cash, and most of the local shops accept credit cards as well.

I always take a light sweater just in case. For some reason, the dining rooms can sometimes feel chilly to me.

Thanks, cb...

What about currency? Do most ports of call like Cozumel, Roatan, etc use

US dollars freely - or will we have to covert to local currency there?

We have begun counting the days...

Was in Cozumel two weeks ago. .stayed in the main touristy little area on/near the pier.. we paid in American and got American change back.. even at the Three Amigos restaurant too.. so as long as you don't venture far, you should be fine.

3) Is there a link to any "most valuable" threads here that address advice to first-time cruisers?

For our first cruise back in 2002, I found a cruise guide from the bookstore (yes, that's right - a book!) to be a good introduction. Once I booked our cruise, I learned a lot from the boards for our cruise line and from the reviews written by people who just returned from our ship and itinerary. You will find a lot of advice on the Carnival boards for your upcoming trip on the Dream. Enjoy!

Late May/early June is very hot in the Caribbean. I have never found the need for a sweater or jacket but many people say they get chilly indoors. You can adjust the temperature in your cabin yourself to suit you. As far as money, US dollars are accepted everywhere. Be sure to take lots of small bills.

Archived