Pre-cruise stop in Barcelona

filbo132

I have a couple of questions, first: I heard taxi drivers speak only spanish, how do I tell them I want to go to the port for my cruise?

Second: I have only 4 hours where I can spend in Barcelona to see somethings, what is that one must see spot I should go to (eg.: La Ramblas, Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia church, etc...) which one of those top sightseeing areas I should absolutely see in those 4 little hours ill be spending in Barcelona? I wish I could see them all, but it will be for another time, so thats why I need to chose 1 that is a must see.

Thanks

Do you mean your flight arrives 4 hrs before you have to board? Or are you factoring time waiting for lugagge, immigration, etc and then drive from airport to city (about 20-30 mins, depending on traffic)? Either way it seems very tight. I would be more concerened with getting to the ship on plenty of time.

If you truly have 4 hrs to sightsee, I would walk around Barri Gotic, see the Barcelona Cathedral and go to La Boquería market (which happens to ahve its main entrance on Las Ramblas). What are you planning to do with lugagge?

Best bet is getting to the ship and dropping the luggage off there. From there you can take a short taxi ride to the hop-on-hop-off bus that picks up in front of the Hotel Arts. Tell the driver you want to go there its near the port and should be no more than 5 Euros (get a price up front). The hop on hop off bus may require Euros (it will be about 20 Euros per person). The bus ride will take about 2 1/2 hours to do the complete circle. This would be the best way to see the sites in a short period of time and you will be safe from pickpockets!

Ok, I wasn't really precise on my journey. I will be arriving on a saturday at 11:30 am if everything goes to plan. Then from the airport, I go to my hotel which is at Hotel Del Mar, according to the hotel brochure I have, it is a 40 minute ride from the airport to my hotel. I plan to arrive at my hotel between 1 or 2pm which then leaves me 4-5 hours of free time, because by 7pm, I will be eating somewhere and at night I simply want to relax. The following day, I wont have time in the morning as I will be going for breakfast and prepare my luggage as I will probably leave by noon or 1 to go to the port even though my cruise sails at 6pm, I want to arrive there 4-5 hours early so I can go in the cruise without having to go through huge lineups.

So thats why I am planning about 4-5 hours of sightseeing time, for one, I dont want to go out late at night since im going there solo and because ill probably be very tired with all that hours of travelling.

That's much better! I would still suggest the attractions I mentioned , but suggest you look at a travel book of Barcelona and see what looks interesting to you. Maybe you want to concentrate on Gaudi stuff, in which case you would want to go to Sagrada Familia and Parque Guell, or his buildings on Passeig de Gracia. If you like the hop on, hop off concept that might be a way to do your sightseeing .

That's much better! I would still suggest the attractions I mentioned , but suggest you look at a travel book of Barcelona and see what looks interesting to you. Maybe you want to concentrate on Gaudi stuff, in which case you would want to go to Sagrada Familia and Parque Guell, or his buildings on Passeig de Gracia. If you like the hop on, hop off concept that might be a way to do your sightseeing .

I heard taxis cost cheaper in Barcelona, so is it reasonable for me see Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo, Casa Mila and Parque Guell all in less than 4 hours by using taxis??? Are taxi's everywhere around those places? It seems alot of things to see in little time, but I could be wrong, thats why I am asking the experts here ;)

Not true, all our taxi drivers spoke some English, or at least reasonably understood where we wanted to go. Are you flying in day of cruise?? Four hours is short time....

Our taxi drive spoke no English, if I hadn't know a little Spanish, we'd have been in trouble. :eek: I was totally surprised that he spoke no English, every taxi driver we've ever had in Europe has spoke a few words of English.

We are going to Barcelona again in September, spending several days pre-cruise this time. :D The few hours we had last time were spent on Las Ramblas and La Boqueria.

This picture of the sleeping artist was taken on Las Ramblas.

I would absolutely have the name and address of anywhere you need to go (that isn't a landmark) written down to hand the taxi driver. We used many cabs there and rarely had a driver who spoke any English - though all were very friendly and the fares are reasonable. But we weren't even able to give the name of major hotels with any success - we needed the address.

Best,

Mia

Thats what I figured, I blieve in Barcelona, they call their port Moll Adossado I think.

I would absolutely have the name and address of anywhere you need to go (that isn't a landmark) written down to hand the taxi driver. We used many cabs there and rarely had a driver who spoke any English - though all were very friendly and the fares are reasonable. But we weren't even able to give the name of major hotels with any success - we needed the address.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

I heard taxis cost cheaper in Barcelona, so is it reasonable for me see Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo, Casa Mila and Parque Guell all in less than 4 hours by using taxis??? Are taxi's everywhere around those places? It seems alot of things to see in little time, but I could be wrong, thats why I am asking the experts here ;)

Lines tend to be long at the Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo and Casa Mila. Parque Guell is a park and there is lots to explore . I would suggest you visit Casa Battlo and if you have time Casa Mila. They are within walking distance of each other. We spent close to 3 hours in Casa Mila alone but you could do both. Or take the hop-on-hop-off bus, tour the city and stop only at the Sagrada Familia. I liked Casa Battlo the best. You get to walk on the roof and see Gaudi and views of the city. Have fun!

Lines tend to be long at the Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo and Casa Mila. Parque Guell is a park and there is lots to explore . I would suggest you visit Casa Battlo and if you have time Casa Mila. They are within walking distance of each other. We spent close to 3 hours in Casa Mila alone but you could do both. Or take the hop-on-hop-off bus, tour the city and stop only at the Sagrada Familia. I liked Casa Battlo the best. You get to walk on the roof and see Gaudi and views of the city. Have fun!

Yea, that's that I thought, seing all 4 in 4 hours would of been too hard for me to do, ill try to see Battlo and Mila and the others will be another time.

Archived