I think my TA is a liar

He says that Royal will not honor any price drops once the cruise is paid in full no matter the date :mad:

Both of the posters on this thread are looking for price drops after final payment not before final payment. Whether it was good business sense or not, RCCL did offer price drops after final payment for many years.

I guess I misunderstood the OP? :confused:

But what I was responding to was the fact that the OP's agent said that once you pay them in full they don't honor any price drops, and that is not true.

If I choose today to book and pay in full for a cruise that doesn't take place until next year sometime, I am still able to get a price drop honored up until the final payment due date assuming the price actually drops and its not a sales event. The fact that I paid RCI in full up front or early does not mean I can't have any price drops. With the new policy, I am not able to get a price drop after final payment due date.

from august 2010:

Royal Caribbean: Book now, and we'll guarantee you get the best price

6a00d83451b46269e20120a5e78132970c-200wi

Ever booked a cruise far in advance only to find out later you could have gotten a better deal by waiting?

Banish the thought, says Royal Caribbean. Starting immediately, the line says it is offering a "best price guarantee" that will cut you in on any price drops that take place after you book.

Under the conditions of the guarantee, announced late Tuesday, passengers who book early and later find a lower fare advertised by Royal Caribbean for the same ship, sail date and cabin category can receive the full difference in price as an onboard credit. Any dollars not spent onboard will be refunded at the conclusion of the cruise.

“Best Price Guarantee gives guests peace of mind, allowing them to plan ahead, book early and get the staterooms and excursions that they want with no worries that a better deal will come along after they’ve committed,” says Royal Caribbean marketing chief Betsy O’Rourke in a statement. “We want our guests to know that they received a good deal from us.”

The new program comes less than a year after rival Carnival unveiled new Early Saver rates that come with a similar price guarantee.

Royal Caribbean's Best Price Guarantee is good up until 72 hours prior to sailing. Passengers who find a better deal must contact Royal Caribbean or their travel agent to request the credit. The line adds that for reservations that haven't been paid in full, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to a passenger's outstanding balance.

Royal Caribbean also says a small number of pricing programs are excluded from the Best Price Guarantee program, and it doesn't apply to group bookings. Full terms and conditions are online at RoyalCaribbean.com/BestPriceGuarantee

The above is the old Best Pricing Policy that went into effect on 9/1/2009 and was eventually replaced on May 17, 2010 with the current Best Price Policy. Price reductions are only honored up until final payment unless a cruise was booked prior to May 17, 2010 when reductions were honored up until 72 hours prior to sailing.

For Future Reference Here is an Outline of the 2009 New Best Price Guarantee Program and the current policy

So if you book under the Carnival Early booking program you hget any reductions until 72 hours prior to sailing, if you take advantage of the RCCl Best PRice Gurantee what is the tiemline prior to sailing for price drops? It does not mention it in the prev post

I also know you can PAY to upgrade after your final payment too..I did on our last cruise. I paid the difference to upgrade to a JS from a D1....because the JS went on sale for a great price.

RCCL will always take your money....:D

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program? s.gif A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

So if you book under the Carnival Early booking program you hget any reductions until 72 hours prior to sailing, if you take advantage of the RCCl Best PRice Gurantee what is the tiemline prior to sailing for price drops? It does not mention it in the prev post

Price reductions are honored up until the final payment date set by RCI as long as those reductions are not for "new bookings" only.

After that, if a higher cabin category is priced the same as or lower than what you paid, you can request an upgrade.

If you booked a cruise prior to May 17,2010, then price reductions are honored up until 72 hours prior to departure.

He says that Royal will not honor any price drops once the cruise is paid in full no matter the date :mad:

We had a drop in price on our cruise for 5/5 which I noticed last weekend, TA called RC and we received neither a refund or upgrade (which we did not expect to get) or extra OBC (which we hoped might work). RC said too close to sailing date.

I haven't been hanging out on the boards in nearly two years, so this is all new information to me as I read it today. I happened to be very lucky because, thinking the old policy was still in place, I called RCCL last night as I noticed a $120 price drop (due to a residency rate) on one of our Explorer cabins for a July 2nd sailing. I was offered either a credit on my Visa or OBC. I made final payment a couple weeks ago, but final payment was officially due today. I just made it in under the wire, and now I know I can stop watching for price drops.

I haven't been hanging out on the boards in nearly two years, so this is all new information to me as I read it today. I happened to be very lucky because, thinking the old policy was still in place, I called RCCL last night as I noticed a $120 price drop (due to a residency rate) on one of our Explorer cabins for a July 2nd sailing. I was offered either a credit on my Visa or OBC. I made final payment a couple weeks ago, but final payment was officially due today. I just made it in under the wire, and now I know I can stop watching for price drops.

Good catch! No you don't need to worry about any more price drops now, but you could upgrade to a higher category possibly with a large enough price drop.

I also know you can PAY to upgrade after your final payment too..I did on our last cruise. I paid the difference to upgrade to a JS from a D1....because the JS went on sale for a great price.

RCCL will always take your money....:D

I happened to be checking today on prices for our cruise in July.

When we booked it last year it was in the deal when you got free flights.

We originally paid £1113 pp as the Cruise fare (not inc tax/fees/free flights etc) for our D2.

Online today they are selling a D2 (cruise fare only) for £715pp and a JS for £1055pp (cruise fare only)!!!

This is way below what we originally paid and want to upgrade to the JS as it is actually cheaper now than we paid for a D2? :eek:

This is the biggest drop there's been on one of our trip.

We have also made final payment last month

I have asked my TA (we switched it to them from Royal :rolleyes:) if they can contact Royal to see if we can change our cabin to the JS and am currently waiting to hear back from them in the morning.

I did ask a few months ago (before final payment) when the price of a JS dropped if we could pay the difference to upgrade and got a no back as it would apparently mess with the free flights part of it.

Now I've made final payment all I want is a change of room as it's cheaper now that we paid. Do you think I should push this if I get another 'no' as it is nearly £800 less difference in price now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Taken from the RCCL web site

Best Price Guarantee

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

I recently booked thinking RCI's old price guarantee policies were still in place. My JS Price dropped $531pp after final payment date and I am now finding out RCI's new definition of "Price Guarantee"..

What RCI is offering now isn't any kind of guarantee and a big negative as far as booking with RCI in the future.

How are the other curise lines with price match guarantees?

Archived