Dawn Secrets and Hints?

gail-s

When we were going on the Sky there was a great thread with secrets to know when onboard. I tried searching for one for the Dawn and the last updated one I could find was from 2006 - yikes. That's probably a bit outdated. Since she will be going into drydock soon, maybe we could start a new thread with Secrets and Hints about the Dawn and those of us travelling on her after the drydock can update on if they still hold true? (pretty please :) )

Check and see if they are still doing the gourmet dinner. It is expensive, (90 or so) but well worth it if you want a truly special night. It includes wines paired to each course.

Chef Collin Hudson's staff are the best.

Al

Edited by BikerAl

Others will certainly know more about this than me, but I have read on these boards about a little-advertised brunch served on the Dawn for a small fee. Apparently, part of the menu is from leBistro, and there is live entertainment.

Hopefully, someone in the know will jump in at this point so yours truly looks less like an idiot....:o

Others will certainly know more about this than me, but I have read on these boards about a little-advertised brunch served on the Dawn for a small fee. Apparently, part of the menu is from leBistro, and there is live entertainment.

Hopefully, someone in the know will jump in at this point so yours truly looks less like an idiot....:o

When I was on in January there was a brunch with live entertainment that was hosted in the Venetian.

Gail, awesome question! Looking forward to further input from members in the know. Keep the secrets coming.

Also...just a thought. Wouldn't it be great to have a "like" button on these boards. I definitely "liked" Gail's post.

You guys made my whole day today when I saw this :)

We're mikenpatti I think we're on the same trip in July, it should be a great vacation. I'm done with this New England Weather!

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for the gourmet dinner and the brunch. Both sound like alot of fun.

Check and see if they are still doing the gourmet dinner. It is expensive, (90 or so) but well worth it if you want a truly special night. It includes wines paired to each course.

Chef Collin Hudson's staff are the best.

Al

Sounds wonderful .. we be going on Nov 13th 2011.I'll check it out.

• 1 month later...

We attended the jazz brunch when we were on the Dawn last year. It was wonderful! If they still offer it, you can sign up for it once you're on board. I can't remember how much it was, but I remember thinking it wasn't very expensive and worth every penny!

I can't think of many new tips. We just got off the Dawn on June 3 after dry dock. Our first time on her. The ship was great. One tip, if you want to go to exercise classes, like Pilates or Yoga or something, you need to go see the schedule in the spa. Sometimes I saw a table set up in the atrium. The schedules are not in the dailies. Or maybe they are. Pilates was not.

Another tip, you can get popcorn from the bartender in Pearly King's. He has it behind the counter. :)

The hairdryers are great! I didn't even use mine.

If you get a bucket of beer, don't lose your deposit receipt and make sure you have it with you when you return the bucket. They will ask for it. You don't want to have to go back and hunt it down. Last couple years on the Spirit we didn't even get the deposit fee anymore. Its back.

You can make the BEST salads at the buffet! So many things to put in it.

If you want to bring wine...and you KNOW about the corking fee, don't worry. Its a very easy process. We feared a long wait and hassle and didn't bring any, and we found out the cork fee takes place at a table the minute you pass the scanners. He's all set up. Easy. Fast.

I'll try to think of a couple more. All the rest is just obvious things and stuff you learn on your own. Its fun!

Band on the Run and Bollywood were GREAT!!

Try not to miss the magician. Especially good was the memory seminar and the afternoon card tricks.

The pretzels and pretzel buns at the buffet are delicious. Mustard... They're near the other rolls.

The Martini Clinic/tasting was worth the $15 pp.

Channel 2 is where you put your TV if you want to hear the announcements that come over the PA. (we used to have to open our door:rolleyes:)

~Cindy

One other hint? In the Java Cafe, there's a table set up over on the side with coffee urns. I guess that's free? If you don't want to slosh your cup of coffee down from the buffet to sit in the Java and listen to music or seminars, or relax... Get it there. I assumed it was part of the cafe fees. But I saw people just helping themselves and walking off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that you can buy the specialty coffees, including those with alcohol in them.

I think that's a good hint for coffee drinkers and I didn't realize it until near the end. But I don't drink coffee anymore and DH cut way back to only one at breakfast so I wasn't that observant at first.

I wonder, but don't want to ask the worker and sound cheap or something, but are the desserts in the cafe free? Because you can get the same ones at the buffet or MDRs. Just wondering....looking for hints to add:).

I also want to ask, does anyone know where the library will be located? One thing I loved about the Spirit was grabbing a sunny window in the quiet (even the staff person whispered) library to read or look for a good book. But on the Dawn the library is dark, up over the atrium, very noisy, with limited seating and not many books. Few cabinets full. Somewhere I read its a temporary location until the other one is ready. Gee, even the cigar lounge looked more inviting.

yes, Gail--why do we live here? because spring is lovely! I also would love tips on the Dawn..on the 7/22 to bermuda. anyone ? anyone? Bueller?? :):D

you mean the one day in may or june that is 70 and dry before we hit high 80's and low 90? with humidity ?

yes, leekel. the coffee on the side is free. i know they serve it at breakfast time, but it is regular coffee- no special flavors.

Just a tip to those going on the Dawn. There is a shop in the atrium called Ports of Call with high end stuff like jewelry, etc. Deck 7 forward has a duty free shop with t-shirts, pens, hats - the kind of stuff you would find in a souvenir shop. On the last day they have sales.

Hi all!

We are first time cruisers and excited to set sail on June 24 to Bermuda. My sister is coming from England and we plan to have a grand old time..on a BUDGET.

My husband drinks iced tea with meals instead of soda...are we charged for iced tea (like we are for soda?) or is it free (like water and coffee)?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Kate

Hi all!

We are first time cruisers and excited to set sail on June 24 to Bermuda. My sister is coming from England and we plan to have a grand old time..on a BUDGET.

My husband drinks iced tea with meals instead of soda...are we charged for iced tea (like we are for soda?) or is it free (like water and coffee)?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Kate

Iced tea was free in the buffet.

also another tip, if you get photos taken and you want to buy them, wait until you are sailing home....they do 20% off!!

Another tip regarding drinks--order room service for breakfast and order juices--then keep them in the refrigerator for the day. they will replace your ice. You will have nice cold juice to drink later in the day. And my kids made their own lemonade--water, squeeze the abundant lemons that are on the buffet, and add some splenda. Sometimes they had lemonade on the buffet, but not always.

And, as noted, above, yes--there is ice tea--good ice tea as I recall. No charge.