Dawn Secrets and Hints?

gail-s

We were also wondering if the desserts and pastries in the Java Cafe were free. We didn't discover the coffee urns until we were about to disembark. Since we are sailing again in the fall, we'd like to know if we can get pastries here with morning coffee. Does anyone know?

Another tip: buy an ornament of the ship in the gift shop. You'll be glad you did this at Christmas. I recall several people looking for these ornaments last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and other kind cruisers offered to bring them back for them.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I'm hoping now that a couple of trips have gone out of Boston that people will be able to share some more ideas.

As for the New England weather, let's recap - record cold and snows in the winter, early thaw up north brought an end to snowmobiling early, torrential rains and cold through the months of April and into May, Tornados ripping through Western MA, oppressive heat and humidity to start June, back to cold and rain this week. Yup, this is New England all-right. But take a look at that ocean and the shore as you're sailing out of Boston and you'll know why I could never leave here.

So is the coffee in the urns by the Java Cafe better than the stuff in the buffet? I can't remember if the dining room coffee is better than the buffet, or if it's the same.

We bring our thermal mugs to fill so we can wander the ship with a warm cup o joe. I love this tip!

Ok, so spill the beans...Whats up with Happy? Do tips give more drink?

I just remember a bartender on the Majesty in June 2007, who was ALWAYS happy and that's what he would say whenever I saw him 'Happy! Happy!'. And this particular cruise I was on was experiencing 18-20 foot waves...not much to be happy about for some people but he always had a smile!

Hoping it's the same guy and I'll see him next week!! :)

I just remember a bartender on the Majesty in June 2007, who was ALWAYS happy and that's what he would say whenever I saw him 'Happy! Happy!'. And this particular cruise I was on was experiencing 18-20 foot waves...not much to be happy about for some people but he always had a smile!

Hoping it's the same guy and I'll see him next week!! :)

Isn't it funny the people that you remember. :) We had a bartender on the Oasis who was so funny and did all kinds of tricks with the glasses, etc. Lots of fun. One time it was my Bday on a Princess ship and at one of the bars everyone sang happy birthday. Everytime we went there again or walked by I would very loudly say happy birthday to the bartender (cant remember his name now). It was a hoot as everyone would start singing happy birthday to him thinking it was. Did that about 7 times. :p

I thought I saw on a restaurant list recenlty that the Java Cafe was complementary on the Dawn? Or is it a mix of complementary and for-sale?

No. Its specialty coffees with alcohol and without. Other drinks too. But on the side of the area, there's a table set up and it has a couple urns.

(Urns sounded creepy so I looked it up.)

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from the Dawn so I thought I'd share the things I learned.

The new tvs are nice but you can't check your bill from there.

They no longer open the barriers on the balcony for safety reasons.

Venetian is open for lunch on the first day - don't bother with the buffet, go straight there.

Blue Lagoon is open 24 hours a day and appears to be secret since there were always tables available.

Kenosis was great.

Look for Danilio Chua and Nasly Hooker in the dining room. They were in Aqua last week. Fabulous fabulous service. Top notch. I hope NCL appreciates what they have in those two.

The last two days at sea the price of pictures drops. You could get 8x10s buy 3 get one free or buy 4 get one free. 4x6/5x7 were buy 4 get one free the last sea day. On certain days (last day) if you go down before 12 you get wallets made for free of your 8x10s. Photo albums are 20% off the last day (possibly all week, I didn't notice)

The Dawn can be difficult to navigate. If you are at Aqua you can't travel toward the back of the ship. You have to go up to 7 to go aft. On certain areas you can't go front to back, it was a tad annoying. The boat didn't seem to "flow" as nicely as some others I've been on.

The library is in the hall next to the internet cafe.

Make sure you tell your children that the arcade is not free. It's $1.50 per play. Some poor parent was going to have the shock of their life when they saw their bill. Their kid was up there for 2 hours playing and told another "it's free. See you just swipe your card" :eek:

The kids club is a gem. The staff is great. The kid's had a blast in the kid's pool as well. DH mentioned the big pool in the center of the ship is a bit deep for smaller children.

Ask and you shall receive. DH and Dad each had spring roll appetizers and ceasar salads every night before dinner. I think we all had at least 2 lobster tails the first night. Yes, the lobsters are tiny caribbean ones, but they were okay as long as you knew that in advance.

If I think of more things I'll come back.:rolleyes:

Thanks Gail, very helpful.

The barriers on balcony--is that if you are sailing in adjoining room and you cannot open the dividers on the balcony?? Too bad if that was what you had in mind.

Specific questions:

Do they still have a specific cart set up at lunch buffet for freshly tossed caesar (and perhaps other) salad and freshly grated cheese??

When was the Latitudes party--afternoon of first sea day? And how did you find it?

Did the bands play very often on deck by the pool (someone was complaining that they did not so I was wondering)?

Oh goodness, the story about the kid in the arcade--can you imagine?? I remember the first time we were on Disney cruise and my son who is generally very responsible but managed to get loose with his card BEFORE we could discuss it--managed to find about 10 friends who he set up with virgin cocktails at the ESPN lounge--so at end of first day he had about a $50 charge--and he did tip well and sign for it quite efficiently!;)

Thanks again for the great info--we sail in mid September.

Our rooms were next to each other but there was no door connecting them. 10620 and 10622. We had hoped to open the barrier on the balcony after someone said they had done it before. I asked the steward and he said for safety reasons they couldn't anymore.

In the buffet there wasn't a cart but there was a section of one of the buffets that made ceasar salads. I had a shrimp ceasar salad in the Venetian the first day that was yummy. DH and Dad had ceasar salads with dinner every night.

We were a few minutes late to the Latitudes party, it was in the afternoon on Saturday, the first sea day. They had it in the Stardust Theater which to me was odd (RCCL had theirs in the Marharaja's Lounge - Like Spinnaker) They walked around with plates of finger food and drinks. I had a glass of wine. Different people spoke and a few people won prizes. Be prepared to run for the stage if you really want one of them. I wish it had been in a more open area where we could have mingled. After they spoke everyone just left.

The first day the DJ was so loud at the pool as we were leaving you couldn't talk standing at Bimini Bar. The bartenders kept screwing up the orders. Different bands played throughout the ship. I know a couple were supposed to play by the pool but we were doing other things when they were up there. Normally there was a DJ playing when I was up there.

Oh, the chocolate buffet - don't get in line right when you walk in the door. Keep walking. They have the buffet I think on one complete side. We were walking by to look and at the far end of the buffet there was no one so we grabbed a plate.

Gail, thanks so much for the information. Glad the caesar salad is still there--that was one of my favorites as they used really nice cheese and it was so fresh. I too find the way they do the Latitudes aprty to be a little odd--on the Jewel it was in the theatre. It is really hard to exactly "party"--it is more like an infomercial where you get a free drink--LOL--I think we jsut got a drink and left, it was kind of awkward having to sit in a theatre style seat. I feel like the number of repeat customers is just so big that it has "outgrown" all the better venues. Maybe other liens don't have the large number of repeaters--I don't know--but it is kind of limiting.

Thank you so much!! :)

Our Latitudes party last summer on the Sun was in the theater too. I thought that was odd as all our previous parties had been in a lounge. It does limit the drink selection as they bring in only a couple different types and put them on a table and then serve from there.

Gail, thanks for starting this thread and for answering your own questions for the rest of us who were also wondering! This really helps our planning. I was not an active CC member on our previous Dawn cruise and probably missed out on a lot!

Can't wait to see the improved ship :)

Edited by APDMOM
Clarify

Thanks for the fun thread! I've been "loyal to royal" since I started cruising at age 17. I've been on 5 RCCL cruises.

My husband and I are taking our first ever Norwegian cruise for our 1st wedding anniversary in October on the Dawn to Bermuda! I'm excited to try a new ship and cruiseline and to visit a place neither of us have ever been.

Any other tips? Even if its fleet wide, I'd love to hear some since I am a NCL newbie!

Thanks! :)

That's to bad about the Lattitudes party. We had a great time on the Spirit in 2009. Lots of drinks, Appetizers and quit a few raffle prizes. Had to be over 150 people. I remeber when there were only about 20 people at the Lattitudes party that was also a lot of fun.

The men's room, forward on the starboard side of the pool deck has the best and possibly, unique, views.

LOL I will have to have my husband check that out and let me know when we sail in Sept!!!!!!!!