Are water shoes a must for Tobacco Bay?

travelloverontario

We will be spending about an hour or so enjoying Tobacco Bay..beach, swim and snorkel...after a long exploring day. We would prefer not to lug around our water shoes .(we'll have beach flip flops). Is Tobacco Bay sandy on the bottom far enough to get us in the water swimming?

Anyone ever snorkeled here without water shoes or fins without any problems??

Thanks!!

Thank you...that's what I was hoping to hear!!! We'll leave them at home.

You don't really need fins there but I since I like to use them on the outside of the rocks where there is some current, sometimes I use them there. If I decide I need them I rent them there at Tobacco, I don't bring mine. I only bring my own mask and snorkel. They do rent those too.

The bottom all the way to the left is rocky and has a ton of little snails (I think that's what they are!) which really smarts if you step on them. Have never seen urchins though. The bottom is sandy in the center and is pretty shallow. You will need foot protection to go through the rocks on the right. It's worth it. Watch for currents as you get beyond the rocks. Be sure to walk around the back of the concession stand and follow the path to the top of the cliffs. It's amazing. Enjoy!!

The bottom is sandy and you don't need water shoes. We never use fins either.

When we went last year the bottom was rocky and hurt my feet while walking until you got a few feet out then it was sandy. I remember thinking to myself I wish I had brought aqua shoes lol.

When we went last year the bottom was rocky and hurt my feet while walking until you got a few feet out then it was sandy. I remember thinking to myself I wish I had brought aqua shoes lol.

I always wear my Tevas in the water there. There are some rocks and I have sensitive feet.

I guess it's all relative.;) Only times I wish I had water shoes was in the Caribbean at Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman and a beach in Cozumel. Really can't say I noticed TB being rocky.....now Snorkel Park Beach is another story.:D

Okay...now you guys are really confusing me!!!!!:p

I just unpacked our water shoes...and now I might have to re-pack them.

Okay...so we don't mind some rocks...we actually went bare feet at 7 mile in Cayman and all was well until the surf knocked over my 8 year old and she cut her foot on the tumbling rocks.

And what do you mean about Snorkel Park...is it worse??? Do you need water shoes there??? We were thinking on going there on our last day.

So...some rocks...okay, but sharp, picky rocks the entire way...not okay.

We just need to get out far enough to be able to swim, then we won't be touching anyway. Things that make you go...hmmm...

Maybe I'll just take the shoes for the girls... and Hubby & I can tough it out.

I would definitely prefer not to bring them, but if we're there and can't really enjoy it without water shoes, I know I'll regret not having them.

It sounds like Tobacco Bay can still be somewhat enjoyed without the shoes???:confused: :confused: . ...IF we have tough feet??

What about Snorkel Park??

Thanks!!:)

It's just like anything.....you will get varying opinions.;)

I just unpacked our water shoes...and now I might have to re-pack them.

Okay...so we don't mind some rocks...we actually went bare feet at 7 mile in Cayman and all was well until the surf knocked over my 8 year old and she cut her foot on the tumbling rocks.

I didn't like walking over the all the small stones to get into the water at 7 mile. Once I got beyond that, it was ok but it hurt everytime going in and coming out.

And what do you mean about Snorkel Park...is it worse??? Do you need water shoes there??? We were thinking on going there on our last day.

SP is a manmade beach so you will not find the nice soft Bermuda sand on the beach itself. Lots recommend some type of foot protection there but you never hear that warning about TB.

So...some rocks...okay, but sharp, picky rocks the entire way...not okay.

We just need to get out far enough to be able to swim, then we won't be touching anyway. Things that make you go...hmmm...

Some rock here and ther......not sharp picky rocks the entire way. The water is usually so clear you can see any of the rocks. I always start swimming as soon as possible and never had a problem.

Maybe I'll just take the shoes for the girls... and Hubby & I can tough it out.

I would definitely prefer not to bring them, but if we're there and can't really enjoy it without water shoes, I know I'll regret not having them.

It sounds like Tobacco Bay can still be somewhat enjoyed without the shoes???:confused: :confused: . ...IF we have tough feet??

I don't have particually tough feet and 've used them and not used them. We've taken friends there who did not have any type of water shoe and they had no problems. It can be enjoyed plenty without shoes. I can't say either that I noticed that the majority of people anytime we were there had water shoes. What about Snorkel Park??

Thanks!!:)

As I said I have sensitive feet. I also can not take the water in Bermuda in May. Too cold for my thin blood. I won't even go anytime in May anymore. Yet others were in the water and snorkeling and the water temp did not faze them. So it is all all relative. I have my Tevas which are my shoes in Bermuda and the Caribbean so I always have them at any beach. If the bottom is rocky or stoney I just wear them in the water. Nothing extra to pack.

As I said I have sensitive feet. I also can not take the water in Bermuda in May. Too cold for my thin blood. I won't even go anytime in May anymore. Yet others were in the water and snorkeling and the water temp did not faze them. So it is all all relative. I have my Tevas which are my shoes in Bermuda and the Caribbean so I always have them at any beach. If the bottom is rocky or stoney I just wear them in the water. Nothing extra to pack.

Hi Charles4515 :D

Which style of Tevas do you have? we're in the process of researching water shoes to wear on land as well as in the water and Tevas is on the top of our list...

Thanks much!

JJ

look at KEENS =much prefer them to tevas

Hi searoses :D

Thanks much for the recommendation... is there a particular pair of KEENS you prefer? are they able to be worn on land as well as in the water?

I truly appreciate your responses...

Have a great day!

JJ

Hi Charles4515 :D

Which style of Tevas do you have? we're in the process of researching water shoes to wear on land as well as in the water and Tevas is on the top of our list...

Thanks much!

JJ

I don't know what style they are because I bought them 30 years ago and they have not worn out!!! They have velcro fasteners that you adjust for your feet. They are good on land and water. When I am on a Caribbean or Bermuda cruise they are my default footware during the day on the ship and on land.

• 3 weeks later...
Just back from Tobacco Bay and we did not take our water shoes but after stubbing my toes on the rocks:( I wish we would have had them...For any future cruisers you may want to pack the water shoes!!

SAW-WEEEE.:o;)

SAW-WEEEE.:o;)

LOL...no problem, if that was the worse thing that happened to us we can't complain...We had such a wonderful trip due to all of the great advice we got from all of you...we really appreciate it more than words can say. I don't know how people cruise without cruise critic!!

Yes, bring your water shoes. We forgot ours when we were there a couple weeks ago and we were sorry. The beach is rocky/gravelly and you also need them when going in the water as there are a lot of rocks to negotiate around.

Archived