Eclipse bar prices from Southampton - pays not to complain !

ChopsRules

Now that Celebrity have dropped the 15% service charge from Southampton the prices have increased by between 15% - 25%, I guess it doesn't pay to complain !

Hi,

The images are too small. Would you please attach full size pics.

Thank you.

Jim

The line now has to make a profit on the service charge because they are included in drink prices so prices have to increase more than 15%. The same thing that would happen if the tips are included in the cruise fare. The cruise line is really working it to the passengers advantage when the gratuities are added on separately but a lot of people don't understand that. It's all about the bottom line.

That is interesting! Australia does not have a tipping culture either, and on our RCI Australian Christmas/New Year's Eve cruise we did have the 15% added to everything, which was fine as we have cruised with Celebrity and RCI before. Then we went on another RCI Australian Christmas cruise in 2010 and the 15% had dissapeared, but the drink prices were the same as the year before. We even went and questioned it, as we dd not want to be short-changing the drink servers etc. They said that as they were sailing in Australia the tip had been removed. I can imagine that they would increase the price so that the waiters still get their tip, but the Australian consumer is not aware that they are tipping.

All that has happened is that the Price reflects the 15% tip.

What is it about the British Moaners (I am a Brit)who will not tip.

The cruise line will get you anyway as the waiters need to be paid.

Go cruise with Thompson if you object so strongly.

Yuk Thompson was my first cruise before I discovered CC :)

All that has happened is that the Price reflects the 15% tip.

What is it about the British Moaners (I am a Brit)who will not tip.

The cruise line will get you anyway as the waiters need to be paid.

Go cruise with Thompson if you object so strongly.

While the cost of the beverages will be increased, the limits for the beverage packages will also be increased. This will ensure that all drinks that are now included, will still be included.

The above has come from another cruise fan site and purports to be an official response from Celebrity, I have no reason to doubt its veracity.

Whether or not the drinks include the 15% is immaterial. Celebrity is a premium brand so drink prices will unsurprisingly be higher.

If you want Weatherspoon Pub prices then sail with P&O, Thomson and Fred Olsen instead

Actually no, a $2 drink now costing $2.50 is a tad more than a 15% increase.

I compared the price provided by you with last years menu. Most drinks showed a 15% increase with some being rounded up/down to nearest 25 cent e.g $5 now $5.75, $6 rounded up to $7, $7 rounded down to $8.

The most notable exception was the increase applied to Sodas by Coca Cola - $2 to $2.5! Why not $2.25?

Jim

-- Political rant --

The price of Pop/Soda/Cola is probably up because we are burning corn in our gas tanks instead of making corn syrup out of it.

-- Political rant over --

Seriously, the cost of these beverages has really been on the rise lately, so I am surprised they were still selling them on board for $2. They are higher than that in many hotel bars and certainly higher than that in most hotel mini-bars.

Archived