Tracy Arm or Misty Fjords????

joy1rn

I am trying to decide if we should spend the money to cruise up Tracy Arm or to do the plane to Misty Fjords. We want to do the train trip in Skagway and can't afford all 3 of these excursions. This is our first trip to Alaska and we are probably going to book with HAL, 7 days out of Vancouver. Will we see mostly the same snow, glaciers, ice, animals either way. For those experienced travelers who have done both please let me know. If you had to choose one which would it be?

im not familiar with hal's route. does the ship go too either glacier bay or hubbard glacier. if it does it would be my choice too go on the flight tour. going up the arm is gorgeous but seeing the fjords by plane is awesome. so if you get too see a glacier on your cruise go for the flight. that is just my opinion. :)

Are you talking about doing an add-on to a ship's Tracy Arm sailing with Allen Marine or the full Juneau round trip with Adventure Bound? I can tell you that my all time favorite Alaska excursion was the Adventure Bound Tracy Arm trip. However, my 2nd and 3rd all time favorites are the 2 Misty Fjord flights that I've taken with Island Wings. :)

The two tours are very different. Wildlife is likely with a Tracy Arm tour, not likely with Misty Fiords floatplane. No glaciers in Misty, or snow, unless going in May/early June.

If you are going with round trip Vancouver with HAL, are you not on the Tracy Arm itinerary??

Being you can do one of these excursions, then, it may have an edge to book the flight, and plan on being out on a lower open deck, with a GOOD pair of binoculars, then entire sailing, as you would also be well advised to do so in Glacier bay. :)

Want a leisure 1/2 day on a small boat with up close views of beautiful icebergs, sheer rock walls, waterfalls, wildlife ( if very luck ), close to glacier as ice flows allow than Tracy Arm. If you enjoy scenic by air views on a quick airplane than Misty Fjords.

Like asking is a crisp and tasty apple is better than a sweet and ripe orange. Both good, but different!

Might be worth googling pictures or look at webshots to see pictures of each to help you decide.

I am trying to decide if we should spend the money to cruise up Tracy Arm or to do the plane to Misty Fjords. We want to do the train trip in Skagway and can't afford all 3 of these excursions. This is our first trip to Alaska and we are probably going to book with HAL, 7 days out of Vancouver. Will we see mostly the same snow, glaciers, ice, animals either way. For those experienced travelers who have done both please let me know. If you had to choose one which would it be?

We did the RCCL Serenade and did the Tracey Arm by ship....that was the best part as they got as close to the waterfalls and the glacier as possible. We went in September....friends of ours did HAL and in Tracey Arm it only did 1/2 way....in June due to seals having their pups...however in Sept they were in their too and only did 1/2 way...have no clue why we went all the way in.

Know nothing about the Misty Fjords except friends of ours took it and loved it.

Lou

Archived