1BR Suites on Magic/Wonder and Dream

ducklite

If you've sailed in both floor plans, which did you prefer?

We had a 1BR on the Magic and were thrilled with it. Next we'll be in the 1BR on the Dream, and I'm sure I'll love it, but I'm wondering if I'll miss being able to get to the balcony directly from the bedroom. I'm also not sure that I like the fact that there is no direct access to the closets from the bedroom.

I understand the tub is large enough for two on the Dream, on the Magic it had jets but was really only suitable for one person.

Is there a wet bar? We actually used that feature more than we expected we would on the Magic.

What other differences did you notice?

If you've sailed in both floor plans, which did you prefer?

We had a 1BR on the Magic and were thrilled with it. Next we'll be in the 1BR on the Dream, and I'm sure I'll love it, but I'm wondering if I'll miss being able to get to the balcony directly from the bedroom. I'm also not sure that I like the fact that there is no direct access to the closets from the bedroom.

I understand the tub is large enough for two on the Dream, on the Magic it had jets but was really only suitable for one person.

Is there a wet bar? We actually used that feature more than we expected we would on the Magic.

What other differences did you notice?

I dont know if you have seen tihs picture its of the 1BR on the Dream and will also be the same for Fantasy, its smaller than a Midship Magic Cat 3, and the double bed is set back from the verandah.

FANTASY12012.png

Fantasyspecif.png

We have booked 12012 for two cruises in 2012 and these have a larger verandah than most as they are on the hump.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I have seen the artists renderings, I was really looking for subjective than objective information. We're in a "hump" room as well.

Edited by ducklite

I have seen the artists renderings, I was really looking for subjective than objective information. We're in a "hump" room as well.

Against standard Cat 3s would say simular, but against midship Cat 3s I would say the new ships IBR is smaller, you can see from the layout its more cramped.

I am sorry that I couldnt help you.

It does have a frig under tv in living room. We enjoyed the room a lot however, it is was difficult getting around the furniture to get to the balcony. Especially when the couch was opened up. The bedroom is extremely tight. The bathroom is very large but dark. The bathtub is huge and loved the shower. The tv in the mirror is definitely cool. The closets were outside the bedroom but really just outside. This really didn't make a difference to us. The concierge lounge was definitely a plus! We spent a lot of time in there. You cannot store luggage under bed as there was drawer space underneath.....definitely a plus because I felt storage was lacking. But then we needed to store luggage in closet. We had 4 people in our room so we really could have used more storage. Bring hangers (wire ones were best) because we didn't have enough. When the murphy bed was opened, we had to go through the bedroom to get to the other side of the room. It may sound like I am complaining but truly we enjoyed the room a lot as well as the suite perks.

It does have a frig under tv in living room. We enjoyed the room a lot however, it is was difficult getting around the furniture to get to the balcony. Especially when the couch was opened up. The bedroom is extremely tight. The bathroom is very large but dark. The bathtub is huge and loved the shower. The tv in the mirror is definitely cool. The closets were outside the bedroom but really just outside. This really didn't make a difference to us. The concierge lounge was definitely a plus! We spent a lot of time in there. You cannot store luggage under bed as there was drawer space underneath.....definitely a plus because I felt storage was lacking. But then we needed to store luggage in closet. We had 4 people in our room so we really could have used more storage. Bring hangers (wire ones were best) because we didn't have enough. When the murphy bed was opened, we had to go through the bedroom to get to the other side of the room. It may sound like I am complaining but truly we enjoyed the room a lot as well as the suite perks.

Thanks so much! We're only three, so the sofa bed won't be opened, our son will take the Murphy--the mattresses on those are almost always a lot more comfy than the ones on sofa beds.

My neighbors have one of those "TV in the mirror" things, I agree, totally cool, but nothing I'd ever spend the cash on for my house. :-)

We're only on a three day, so I expect we'll only have a suitcase and garment bag between us, so I'm not worried about storage.

Because we're bringing a garment bag, a lot of the stuff that "needs" to be hung will already be on hangers, but that's a good tip. I had forgotten that on the Magic we didn't have enough hangers either. Our cabin steward found some wire ones, but I really don't like wire hangers, as soon as I get dry cleaning home I transfer the clothes to wooden or padded hangers. (I know, kind of OCD)

I remember thinking that there was too much furniture in the 1BR on the Magic, they should have removed one of the chairs in the living room and used a slightly smaller table or maybe a narrower rectangular one in the dining area to make more space. I did like the space in the bedroom, sounds like they've carved out bedroom space for a larger bathroom?

What drew you to the lounge? We had lounge access on our RCCL cruise, but really didn't spend much time in there.

We've traveled in many cruise suites (RCCL and NCL) and this was the first time we really used it. First, it was very relaxed and attentive at the same time. Drinks (water, soda, and juice) were always available. Alcoholic drinks were available some of the times as well. We weren't very far (2 or 3 doors away) from the lounge and they lounge was bigger and less stuffy than others I have experienced. You also have to go through the lounge to get to the suite sun deck. We definitely enjoyed the sun deck. It was not crowded at all and staff was very attentive there as well.

The concierge staff were great with my kids. They played card games with them and taught them some magic tricks. They never felt unwelcomed. I have felt on some other cruise ships that my children had eyes burning in the back of their heads if they entered the lounge especially on RCCL. This was not the case here. There were no time restrictions for children either. It was nice that wnen I was getting ready for dinner, the boys and their dad would go to the lounge and play cards or just talk. Made getting ready less stressful for me!

We've traveled in many cruise suites (RCCL and NCL) and this was the first time we really used it. First, it was very relaxed and attentive at the same time. Drinks (water, soda, and juice) were always available. Alcoholic drinks were available some of the times as well. We weren't very far (2 or 3 doors away) from the lounge and they lounge was bigger and less stuffy than others I have experienced. You also have to go through the lounge to get to the suite sun deck. We definitely enjoyed the sun deck. It was not crowded at all and staff was very attentive there as well.

The concierge staff were great with my kids. They played card games with them and taught them some magic tricks. They never felt unwelcomed. I have felt on some other cruise ships that my children had eyes burning in the back of their heads if they entered the lounge especially on RCCL. This was not the case here. There were no time restrictions for children either. It was nice that wnen I was getting ready for dinner, the boys and their dad would go to the lounge and play cards or just talk. Made getting ready less stressful for me!

We won't have kids with us, so keeping them entertained won't be an issue. When we cruised RCCL, under 18 wasn't allowed in the lounge when they were serving alcohol, so basically after 5:00 pm or so. Even then, we just didn't really use the lounge. I'm sure we'll wander to the sun deck at some point, although we'll probably spend more time on our balcony, we like the fresh air, but prefer the shade.

Is the water bottled or filtered? Can you take it out of the lounge? That might be a good reason to visit. ;-) We're bringing our own wine onboard, so the alcohol in the lounge doesn't really draw us, unless they're pouring some decent Port as an after dinner "wee dram." ;-)

This is great info, not just for me but others as well--thanks!

We have sailed in 1 bedroom suites on the Wonder, Magic and the Dream. On the Magic we sailed in 8532, one of the larger mid ship suites and on the Dream we were in 12012, on the hump with the larger balcony. Enjoyed our suites on all of the ships but definitely noticed some difference.

The biggest and most noticeable difference between the Cat. Ts on the classic ships compared to the Dream is in layout and décor. On the classic ships the suites have an abundance of gorgeous woodwork. On the Dream there is some but to me at least there seemed to be an excessive amount of plain white walls. The master bedroom on the Dream seemed smaller to me and less private due to the two door openings . The dressing table is very close to the side of the bed. Missed the verandah doors off the bedroom and the walk in closet. On the Magic/Wonder, unless you were in one of the 4 mid ship suites the murphy bed is in the master bedroom. On the Dream the murphy bed is in the little study area off of the living space in all of the Cat. Ts. My DD who slept in the murphy bed didn’t like the fact that she couldn’t watch TV from the bed. She had to go and join her sister on the pull out sofa. I liked the master bathroom on the Dream better than the Classic ships, it was wider and more spacious and the bathtub is huge.

IMO, the location of the suites on the Dream is much better, no more being underneath the pool deck and the constant deck noise. Having the area separated with the gates also stops the “ring the doorbell and run” kids. I may get flamed for this but I’m thrilled that the suite doors on the Dream are not magnetic… no extreme, overboard door decorating. Just nice, elegant wood doors and no clutter. With the private sundeck and concierge lounge it reminded me a bit of the NCL Courtyard concept which we absolutely love.

I liked having the Concierge lounge available as well. It’s a nice place to pop in and have a before or after dinner drink, a quick snack and/or the best coffee on board. It was also nice to have the concierge staff in a central location.

We booked the same suite for our 2012 Fantasy cruise. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Edited by hencoll

We won't have kids with us, so keeping them entertained won't be an issue. When we cruised RCCL, under 18 wasn't allowed in the lounge when they were serving alcohol, so basically after 5:00 pm or so. Even then, we just didn't really use the lounge. I'm sure we'll wander to the sun deck at some point, although we'll probably spend more time on our balcony, we like the fresh air, but prefer the shade.

Is the water bottled or filtered? Can you take it out of the lounge? That might be a good reason to visit. ;-) We're bringing our own wine onboard, so the alcohol in the lounge doesn't really draw us, unless they're pouring some decent Port as an after dinner "wee dram." ;-)

This is great info, not just for me but others as well--thanks!

Bottled water and soft drinks. We were able to take anything we wanted out of lounge which was great since we do drink a lot of water. This was the first cruise I didn't have to bring a case of water on board.

Bottled water and soft drinks. We were able to take anything we wanted out of lounge which was great since we do drink a lot of water. This was the first cruise I didn't have to bring a case of water on board.

Also to add to this, if there is something you would like that is not out in the lounge, don't hesitate to ask one of the lounge attendants. They can usually get it for you. For example, my DDs love the chocolate chip cookies on a stick that lounge sometimes served. A couple times there were not any out, we just asked the attendant and he went in the back and brought some out to my girls.

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone,

I did a quick search, but the answers weren't all that apparent. Does this older thread still hold up after the Magic's update in dry dock, adding a concierge lounge? I'm curious if the one-bedroom suites were changed/updated at all, because I just booked one for the fall '16 TATL and the family is super excited about the trip. Now we just have to get through the next 200 odd days... :)

theBOAT

Hi everyone,

I did a quick search, but the answers weren't all that apparent. Does this older thread still hold up after the Magic's update in dry dock, adding a concierge lounge? I'm curious if the one-bedroom suites were changed/updated at all, because I just booked one for the fall '16 TATL and the family is super excited about the trip. Now we just have to get through the next 200 odd days... :)

theBOAT

The suites were refurbished, but not really "changed." New bedding, some new furniture and/or reupholstering the old. It looks new. The addition of the lounge didn't really change anything about the Magic suites themselves. Just now there is a member of the concierge staff on duty during most hours as well as on the phone thru the night. The lounge is a little remote from the cabins (it is in the funnel).

WHile it is a logical assumption that a lounge will be created during the Wonder dry dock, nothing has been released officially at this time. There is not currently a concierge lounge on the Wonder.

Yes, the lounge on the Magic is staffed. The real question is whether they will be raising the concierge prices on the Magic now that that they have the lounge. There has been quite a price difference between concierge on the Magic and on the Fantasy for the same length of cruise.

The Magic's lounge location seems a bit inconvenient, especially to some of the aft most suites. It's location on the Dream class ships makes it so appealing. We really would have to consider if the extra cost was worth it on the Wonder.

Yes, I did notice it's going to be a little bit of a hike from our after 1 BR room to the lounge each morning to grab a pair of coffees.

Still looking forward to the trip, though!

theBOAT