A review of Sojourn Southampton to Rome

OrpingtonT

QUOTE.The one thing that I have never seen or experienced is the so-called "Massage Moments" on deck. Supposedly staff would provide short and free neck/shoulder massages by the pool deck, but twice on the Odyssey, I never saw that. Upon enquiry, the bartender told me they only provide this service when the therapists have free time. I wonder, in reality, how often this service is provided QUOTE

On our recent Sojourn cruise they did provide massages each day on deck usually early in the morning. They did them for about 1 hour and you just signed up, once full that was it.

I was on Sojourn for 2 months and saw them once on deck.Last November was the same.

There are no extra bath products in the suite so we had to keep asking for shower gell and only one bar of soap was supplied so it meant transferring soap from the shower each time to the wash hand basin.:(

>"and only one bar of soap was supplied so it meant transferring soap from the shower each time to the wash hand basin."

On arrival, didn't you get a choice of 'designer' soaps? (I opt for the lemon-scented one and use it as a sachet in my luggage). However, usually there are two soaps; on in the shower and one by the basins. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN EASILY CORRECTED WITH ONE REQUEST.

There were plenty of offers of massage moments on a recent Sojourn cruise. Regarding soap, etc., I think it must depend on your stewardess and her experience - but newcomers to Seabourn will obviously not know that you should have two soaps for the sinks and bath or shower, and the offer of special ones as you meet her. I do hope that newcomers realise that you should only have to mention it to get what you need. The brand new stewardesses do not immediately know everything - we eventually did get an towel animal put on the bed in the evening; not a big deal, but we obviously had been expecting one having done lots of SB before. Some things the girls are obviously learning as they go along, and if your stewardess is pleasant and competent I am afraid you can expect no more at present, while they are recruiting so many new staff.

We never saw, nor had we heard about, "massage moments".

But we did get the extra soaps. We had heard about towel animals and had seen other peoples' pictures. We were slightly disappointed not to have any done for us, but presumed our stewardess wasn't proficient in the art. One thing we did get was a little paper boat with cut out pictures of my wife and I in it, placed on a map of our position at the time.

I will take a paper boat and notations on the atlas over the dumb (on any cruise line) towel animals. Last thing I want is a monkey hanging from the rafters, so to speak. I have had good luck with my stewardesses with the exception of one, who was great, but did a really dumb thing that still rankles me.

But I think it's important for the new cruisers to know what should be so they can correct a big faux pas. Best thing is to go to the HM, or Manager of the Stewardesses.

We are NOT newcomers to Seabourn having sailed with them for 12 years. Our stewardess was not new to Seabourn either. We had to ask for new bath products as there were no replacements in the cupboard and we often ran out before they were replaced. We spoke to the housekeeper and she said this was new policy . Other guests had the same problem. We asked and were given one bar of soap to use by the basin so that we didnt have to transfer our one bar of soap from the shower each time. So it really was not the stewardess who was at fault.

We couldnt care less if towels are made into animals for our bed----just an efficient stewardess who keeps our suite clean and a supply of bath products and fresh towels.

Massage moments should not be advertised if they are not available.

Seabourn is definitely cutting back but the prices remain the same.

I always ask my stewardess not to bother with her valuable time,making towel animals and model ships.

This leaves her more time to do such a thing for those guests that like to recieve this on thier vacation.

After many cruises it wears a bit thin.

Although nice to see if you are new to Seabourn or are a novice cruiser.

Sometimes, if after asking your stewardess and not receiving certain things you have to TELL her what you want and expect in an assertive (NOT aggressive) manner.

During the "soap and salmon (canape)" meet and greet before embarkation, our stewardess has always asked if there was anything she could do. That is the perfect opportunity to advise her of any special requests/expectations in a non-confrontational manner.

Archived