laundry fights?????

ready2travel54

If clothes are finished and people are waiting it makes no sense to have an idle machine. It could be hours before someone returns. If a person would be upset that someone removed their clothes then they should be sure to return in a timely manner.

Agreed. If for some reason, I left my clothes in a machine and the other machines were taken, I would not have an issue with someone moving my laundry. If I did, I would sure as heck make sure I was there in time to not make someone else wait for me.

Either way, I don't do my own laundry on the ship, but it is basic dorm room etiquette drawn from my undergrad days.

DW does not wash clothes on vacation....but I do.:) The few times that I have used the laundromats I have never witnessed a fight...but I could see how it could happen. I do agree that the first few days seem to be the best to get it done...in fact on our two cruise in January that were a day apart, when we got on the Ruby, I went to the laundromat about 45 mins before muster drill, both washers were available, used both, finished just before muster drill, threw clothes in the dryers, went to muster drill, came back collected dry clothes and we were set for the week.

Another thing that could be easily handled by following the same rules most land laundromats use.

"All persons must be present while using machines for length of cycle(s)."

And "land laundromats" offer rows and rows of chairs and TV's to watch while waiting! Not so on a ship. Some folks wander off, and lose track of time. Most folks are considerate, and return in a timely manner.

Also, it's not a "dorm experience" as mentioned above. This is an international ship, and removing one's personal belongings from a washer may NOT be considered acceptable or be well tolerated. :(

I had occasion to do laundry on the Star Princes going from Rio to Valpraiso

First, as soon as we got on the ship (exploring can wait until later), and people were still getting on, I did all of our laundry from our flight down, and 3 days in Rio. This involved a certain amount of organization when we packed the last day in Rio. I did it again on New years day. In both cases, I brought a book, and camped out in a chair in the laundry room, so I could get the clothes out quickly. That's just common courtesy. I have no objections to taking an hour or so to do this, especially on a 2-week cruise

I also brought a roll of quarters, and some of those Purex Laundry sheets- detergent and fabric softener in one sheet. Very convenient, although I would not use them full time

And "land laundromats" offer rows and rows of chairs and TV's to watch while waiting! Not so on a ship. Some folks wander off, and lose track of time. Most folks are considerate, and return in a timely manner.

Also, it's not a "dorm experience" as mentioned above. This is an international ship, and removing one's personal belongings from a washer may NOT be considered acceptable or be well tolerated. :(

Actually, no one mentioned it being a dorm experience. My point was that if college kids had enough sense and common courtesy to mind their own belongings and not force strangers to wait for them to return, then certainly those cruising on an international ship can master the concept.

I had said that if it were me being so rude and inconsiderate, I certainly would not expect strangers to devote their vacation day to checking back on a regular basis to see if I had decided that my clothes were worth me taking time out of my day to retrieve.

Actually, no one mentioned it being a dorm experience. My point was that if college kids had enough sense and common courtesy to mind their own belongings and not force strangers to wait for them to return, then certainly those cruising on an international ship can master the concept.

But, it's MY VACATION, and I can do what I want!;)

But, it's MY VACATION, and I can do what I want!;)

LOL... exactly. :p I just don't understand why someone would try to fight another person over something like this. I feel that my right to get upset about someone moving my stuff kinda ends after my abandonment of that property begins to cause them an inconvenience.

Of course, I probably wouldn't touch someone else's stuff, and I don't do my own laundry on the ship anyway. I just can't think of any real world scenario where I would leave my stuff unattended for an hour (or more) and assume that it would be exactly as I left it when I finally came back for it.

We did laundry on the Coral last year and didn't have any confrontations, but my bra did get stolen from the laundry basket while my other clothes were drying. I don't dry bras b/c it ruins the elastic. DH didn't want to walk down the corridors with a bra, so he left it in the basket. I was more surprised that the basket (pop up hamper) wasn't taken!:rolleyes:

If everyone was considerate this thread won't have to be here. We usually take longer cruises, and we especially like ta's. Going eastbound on the last sea day the laundry rooms are busy from morning till night, and everything works fine unless someone doesn't return to get their clothes out of the machines on time. There is usually a line waiting for the next machine, and I don't think they wait more than a minute or two before taking things out of the machines. I would never do it because I don't want to touch other people's clothes, but I'm glad when someone else does it. I know it's easy to get sidetracked, but everyone doing laundry wants to get it done in a timely fashion and enjoy their cruise.

We set the timer on our cell phones, and we're always back in the laundry room at least 5 min. before the cycle ends.

On this last cruise the laundry room was very busy sea days. It opened at 8am and people were lining up from 7.15 to use it.:mad:

How do I know???

Because my room was almost opposite and inconsiderate people were lined up outside my door talking and laughing very loudly, waking us up every sea day, when we were hoping for a rest.

I think everyone should take that into consideration when using the laundry room, also other times of the day,as people might be taking a nap.

On this last cruise the laundry room was very busy sea days. It opened at 8am and people were lining up from 7.15 to use it.:mad:

How do I know???

Because my room was almost opposite and inconsiderate people were lined up outside my door talking and laughing very loudly, waking us up every sea day, when we were hoping for a rest.

I think everyone should take that into consideration when using the laundry room, also other times of the day,as people might be taking a nap.

Ugh. That sucks! I really hate not being able to nap at any hour I choose because someone else is being inconsiderate!!

Ugh. That sucks! I really hate not being able to nap at any hour I choose because someone else is being inconsiderate!!

Yes me too. The problem in the day was that people were propping the door open even though it asked people not to. One day after a lot of walking on a tour, we went back to our room to take a rest before getting ready for dinner.

The laughter and talking from the room was so loud we couldnt. I am glad people are cheerful and having fun but it was so loud. I went into the laundry room and removed the wedge that was propping the door open and said to those in there that I was closing the door so we could get some rest. One guy was most annoyed and said....... "we need to get some air in here", I asked him if I could sit outside his door when he was trying to sleep and talk and laugh loudly. And pointed to the sigh asking people to keep the door closed because of cabins nearby. Some people!!!

The only time we had problems in the laundry room was on the Sea Princess. The laundry rooms were very tiny, with old machines. Both dryers in the laundry room on our deck did not dry the clothes, so people were taking wet laundry to other decks looking of working dryers, and there were long lines of people waiting. It was very frustrating, but we didn't see any fights!

On the other hand, the Emerald Princess had wonderful, large laundry rooms - and there were no lines at all. In fact, we were the only ones there (around 8 a.m.)!

I haven't seen any fights. However, I have seen people load up the washer and then leave it for hours unattended. Then when people come in they take it out and toss it int he dryer so they can use it.

I usually grab a book and sit in wait until my laundry is done so that I can be considerate of others who need to use them. Best time for me is early morning on a port day.

Having spent my fair share of time in a ship's laundry room I have to say that most people bend over backwards to be polite. I usually take a book and baby sit my laundry so have had time to observe.

The best laundry room users stay with their clothes. They are the most considerate of everyone's time and are usually the happiest.

Most users don't really want to remove anyone else's clothes. However, if the line is more than one deep waiting for a washer, there really is no choice because by not removing that person's clothes you are not only delaying your own access to a washer but also the next person in line.

The next most satisfied users are those who come back before their machine is done and don't care if someone removes their clothes. Most are apologetic when they get back that they were late. If their clothes are still in the washer they apologize for delaying someone else. If their clothes have been removed they apologize for causing someone the additional work of removing their wet clothes. Sometimes there is a dryer available for them but most often there is not and they go to the end of the line of those waiting for a dryer so they take their wet clothes and depart. Dryers take longer than washers and are more often in short supply.

The least satisfied are those who leave their clothes, don't come back before the machine is done, and expect no one else to touch them. This is a guarantee that they will be upset. The best avenue for these folks is to use the ship's laundry where winged angels come down, do the laundry and miraculously return it to their cabin untouched by human hands.

To those who seem to think cruise ship passengers are rude. I've seen the following scenario more than once:

Many of the ship's laundry machines are over worked. I've seen dryers shut off due to over heating, resulting in someone's clothes still being wet when they got back. Often they left the clothes for a full hour. Sometimes someone came in after the machine shut off, found an unused machine, unloaded the wet clothes and proceeded to dry their own clothes as the machine started working again after it cooled down. This can only happen to a user that leaves their clothes unattended. If you stay with it you know that no one maliciously stopped your machine and stole it. Those of us who stay with our laundry will often explain what happened. Some accept it graciously but those with persecution complexes or a world-revolves-around-me attitude can't get passed it and get themselves worked up. They then run around spreading rumors about the rude people in the laundry.

I've had the best luck with the empty washers during first sitting dinner or any really popular show.

Just like a parking meter, I always put extra time on the dryer -- gives me extra time to come back and also makes sure the clothes are dry. Another 50 cents or even a 1$ extra is OK just to make sure.

I am stunned that someone would actually consider it rude and presumptuous to remove someone's clothes if the washer or dryer has completed its cycle. I think it is much ruder to not come and check on your clothes in a timely manner!

I do not sit in the laundry room because it is usually excruciatingly hot! However I do make note of the time and plan to get back just before end of cycle. If I am delayed, I would not mind someone removing my clothes and I would apologize that they had to!

Wow, it just never occurred to me that someone would actually consider this something to fight over! What is damaged by removing someone's clothes? Absolute nothing! If you have a phobia about someone else touching your clothes, don't leave them there past the cycle!!

I'm not devoting precious vacation time to babysitting my laundry. I'll get back around the time the cycle was supposed to end but I have no problem if someone removes my stuff in the meantime -- as long as they don't dump it on the floor, I'm good. I would have liked to see in the Coral, at least (the only ship where I've used the facilities extensively enough to remember), hooks on which to hang a bag next to the machine so the person dumping out someone's stuff could see easily where to put it. There were no hooks nor a table nor even any room to place a basket in front of or on top of the machine. Hmm, I guess duct tape would have been invaluable -- I could have taped my laundry bag to the front of the machine!

I even enjoy doing the laundry on a cruise, If you stay with your clothes you are bound to get into a great conversation with a fellow cruiser. While waiting we talked about where we were from, what we did for a living, what we had seen and done on the cruise. It was a great time, anything can be enjoyable when your in the right frame of mind. Even laundry!

Folks, you are on a cruise, we gave up the laundromat years ago. Yeah we did it for several cruises, but then realized that we do laundry at home, why not have Princess it do it for you? Ever since then, no laundry stress. Think about it, yes it is more expensive, but while your clothes are being washed and dried, you can be doing anything you want. They come back folded, whiter than anything we see at home! What else can I say. It is totally worth it!! Think about it!

-Sandy-

On our last cruise, I did laundry - just one load right after we got back to the ship after our shore excursion, while we were still in port. One machine had someone's load in it and they didn't come back for it while I was there. I brought a drink and a book and stayed there until it was done. By the time I was finished, all the machines were busy and one woman got a little snippy with me about the load that was just sitting, even though I told her it wasn't mine and the machine I was using would be available in less than ten minutes. She stomped off, muttering. Some people just have no patience.

Sorry, forgot one thing. If you've booked a full suite, then laundry is free so you don't have to worry about it. We had a free upgrade on our very first cruise to a full suite, now if only we could get a life upgrade so we could keep cruising that way. ;)

Archived