Valor VS Dream, Half Moon Cay VS Nassau?

Ginnyfyr

Hubby and I are fresh off the Caribbean Princess and are already itching for our next cruise. Carnival (who we've cruised with once before, on the Victory) seems to have the best choice of itineraries for when we want to go (Sept '11) but we're torn between two sailings.

One is on the Valor, with stops in Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk. The other cruise is on the Dream, sailing to Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten. We've never been to the Bahamas, Grand Turk, or St. Maarten, so both itineraries are quite appealing. I guess the deciding factor for us would be a) which ship do you think is better - Valor or Dream, and b) which is better, Half Moon Cay or Nassau? I'd really appreciate any input you have!

Thanks!

Thanks everyone...3 votes for HMC so far. I have a question though - would the majority of people on the ship end up there? We're not fans of super crowded, packed-in beaches...is there other stuff to do there?

I've been on the Valor but we went with the Western Caribbean itinerary. The Valor is a really nice ship and it has an adults only section with a pool. (Which is rare!) I'm going on the Dream in September. I chose the dream because at the time of booking it was the newest ship. Nassau is okay, but it's not really anything spectacular. I would recommend both. You can probably book the Valor for less and it has been updated within the last 3 years. I, overall like Carnival's ships :)

Yes, most pax will get off the ship at HMC.

Still won't be as congested as Nassau, IMO.

There's plenty of beach at HMC. You can rent a cabana for some privacy.

Or, just keep walking past the cabanas. You'll have tons of space to spread out.

I think most people will get off at Half Moon Cay. It can get alittle crowded for the tender boat going back to the ship but still not enough to stop me from getting off. There is plenty of space on the beach, it never felt crowded. We just walked down the beach a bit. It was perfect. Didn't want to leave that beach.

Looks like HMC is the clear winner! Thanks so much everyone! Now we just have to narrow down our options...we're still toying between the cruise and just doing an all inclusive (the A/I would certainly save us on the bar bill, lol). Thanks again for your input - very much appreciated :D

Ports: half moon cay for sure.

Ships: dream for sure.

It all depends which is most important. If you have never been to Nassau you could do Atlantis. If you are a big beach person then half moon cay with a cabana is one of the best days I have ever had.

First I can tell you I have not been on the Dream, but a our last cruise was sister ship Liberty with nearly same itinerary as Valor except no HMC.

Half Moon Cay -cannot comment on except heard cabanas are great

Bahamas -took a local bus to a small intimate zoo and walked back--there is a beach in walking distance (Junkaroo) or take taxi or a ferry across to Cabbage by Atlantis

St. Thomas - we catch a taxi from shopping area and just love Megans it is $8/per person + $4 admission as it is a State Park, tons of taxi safari type vans to take you back $8)

San Juan -not really a beach place. We did an awesome Segway tour for two hours from the pier through central park area,along edge to the fort right up the huge hill and parked it by fort-received a guided tour and back. (Segways after 5min become very intuitive and easy ride). Plenty of time for local shopping easy on & off ship.

Grand Turk -could be my favorite stop. We did not do the Margaritaville pool/beach central area, but chose to walk to the right as you face shore and only saw about 6 people all day! Pure serenity. It is slightly rocky in parts,but so clear and fun to hunt the conch shells that wash up.

The other cruise is on the Dream- never sailed her but hope to do so

Nassau -walking off ship many local shops,never did find straw market! Did Azatstra zoo -small but great for little kids. Animals are separated only by open fencing.

St. Thomas -Megan's and if lots of time-would go to St.John's Trunk Bay. Shopping right at the pier is plentiful, and no real honest reason we go downtown anymore as it is more jewelry stores mostly.

St. Maarten- so easy to take water taxi across for shopping but found many shops repetitive. Here they have developed a wonderful waterfront relaxation area/boardwalk now. For a thrill hire a taxi and go to Maho Beach to see planes land right over your head.

In my overall opinion-if you are a beach person the Valor itinerary really leans toward that. The Dream has stops for the beach and lots of traditional commercial shopping abounds. We loved the sister ship Liberty layout and plenty of room to find chairs on back decks.

Another consideration is what port to sail from and airfare costs.

Hubby and I are fresh off the Caribbean Princess and are already itching for our next cruise. Carnival (who we've cruised with once before, on the Victory) seems to have the best choice of itineraries for when we want to go (Sept '11) but we're torn between two sailings.

One is on the Valor, with stops in Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk. The other cruise is on the Dream, sailing to Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten. We've never been to the Bahamas, Grand Turk, or St. Maarten, so both itineraries are quite appealing. I guess the deciding factor for us would be a) which ship do you think is better - Valor or Dream, and b) which is better, Half Moon Cay or Nassau? I'd really appreciate any input you have!

Thanks!

Hi!

We've been on each of those ships, and the Caribbean Princess as well.

...We are returning to the Dream again this Sept (after having sailed on the Dream this Jan. ):)

You can't go wrong with either choice. If you could only transfer HMC to the dream itin. you'd have your answer.

I would choose the Dream because of the extras and don't worry about the overcrowding issue, unless you EAT AT THE MOST POPULAR TIMES.

There are great beaches in Nassau, one right by Atlantis, caled Cabbage Beach. Short taxi ride, and a quick entrance into Atlantis from the beach area.

The Dream is one of the best ships for those who don't like a ship filled with cig. smoke.

Also, Check this out...

http://cruiseweb.com/blog/2009/07/new-carnival-dream-to-offer-widest-variety-of-all-inclusive-dining/

The fun is in the choosing...

Mike

Archived