Convince me to book the Chef's Table........

Well, you all have talked me into booking this! I just emailed the maitred on the Fascination to see if the CT was available on Aug 17th which will be my 60th birthday. Since we are cruising with our family, that includes 6 grandchildren I thought this would be a nice get-away in the middle of our cruise for me and DH ;)

WOW, talk about FAST...I emailed the maitred at 11:25 a.m. my desire to pre-book the Chef's Table and I had a confirmation back by 11:37 a.m.! :eek:

Thanks everyone and I am really looking foward to the experience!

We recently just came off the Liberty and 4 of us truly enjoyed the Chef's Table! Although other ships gave a cookbook, we all did not get one. :confused: We did get an 8x10 group picture, along with a recipe of the Chocolate Melting Cake. My kids ages 19 and 23, are still talking about it. I am not one to try a bunch of different food things, but I loved everything they served! When we walked through the kitchen, we saw all the busy workers and the waiters waiting to get their orders. I waved, smiled and said "hello" to all of them. The smiles are their faces were priceless!! I also thanked them as well. Just plan to go hungry!!:)

I wonder why you didn't get a cookbook? We were on the 5/28 Liberty sailing and we got a cookbook. Did you get the recipe for chocolate melting cake?

To answer your question tex, about whether you will be bored... well, you may be bored. I enjoyed it and found it interesting, but even I was ready for it to end when it did. You only get champagne in the galley before the tour, then you get wine with dinner. I will say, though, that I have been to a true "chef's" table at a 4 star restaurant and was a little disappointed when I found out that the menu is nearly identical on all Carnival ships. In my opinion, the chef's table is an opportunity for the chef to show off his creativity and serve what he likes. To have it so planned out that you could actually read this board and know in advance, kind of takes the thrill out of it.

The tour of the galley was great -- you'll be happy to know the galley(s) truly sparkle. Also, for those who don't know "what the maitre'd does," if you are happy with your table mates, you have the matre'd to thank for that. Like seating for a wedding, they review each party's demographics and try to seat them at tables accordingly. I imagine it's not a perfect match for everyone, but the effort is made. We found that out at the CT tour, when I asked how it happened that we were seated with another family who, like ours, had three teens practically the same ages as our own. Same gender too. :)

I wonder why you didn't get a cookbook? We were on the 5/28 Liberty sailing and we got a cookbook. Did you get the recipe for chocolate melting cake?

To answer your question tex, about whether you will be bored... well, you may be bored. I enjoyed it and found it interesting, but even I was ready for it to end when it did. You only get champagne in the galley before the tour, then you get wine with dinner. I will say, though, that I have been to a true "chef's" table at a 4 star restaurant and was a little disappointed when I found out that the menu is nearly identical on all Carnival ships. In my opinion, the chef's table is an opportunity for the chef to show off his creativity and serve what he likes. To have it so planned out that you could actually read this board and know in advance, kind of takes the thrill out of it.

The tour of the galley was great -- you'll be happy to know the galley(s) truly sparkle. Also, for those who don't know "what the maitre'd does," if you are happy with your table mates, you have the matre'd to thank for that. Like seating for a wedding, they review each party's demographics and try to seat them at tables accordingly. I imagine it's not a perfect match for everyone, but the effort is made. We found that out at the CT tour, when I asked how it happened that we were seated with another family who, like ours, had three teens practically the same ages as our own. Same gender too. :)

Yes we got the recipe for the Melting Cake but sadly not the cookbook,. We were wondering why none of us did not receive one!

We did it and thought it was a fantastic evening and an excellent value.

DW doesn't care for wine, but does enjoy sparkling wine (champagne) -- we inquired when we made the reservations about having champagne for her. They got back to us and said there would be an additional charge if she wanted champagne with dinner. After $75 each for the package, we said no thank you.

She carried her champagne from the kitchen portion to the table and the servers keep it full the entire meal and there was no charge. One of our table mates asked for it also and it was no problem.

Enjoy!

Just enjoyed the chef's table on the Dream last week. Totally worth the cost! You will eat things that are only prepared for the Chef's Table--like the delicious pumpkin butter served with the rolls. When a chef has to spend most of his time trying to please 4000 guests, it seemed like he really enjoyed turning his attention to just 11 guests. We were there for 3 1/2 hours, and he was with us all but about 10 minutes of that time. We did receive a cookbook and two copies of the group photo. If you enjoy seeing how things work behind the scenes, I'd also recommend the Behind the Fun tour. It cost $95 per person, but you are treated to a 3 1/2 hour walking tour of everything from the laundry room, to the bridge, to the meat locker!, and even by the entrance to the jail and the morgue (thankfully, no one was inside either).

definitely a must do. We did chef's table on the triumph and it was truly triumphant. the question and answer time with the chef is great, as is the autographed cook book you get at the end...not to mention the wine, which never stops flowing during the entire meal. (which i think would have been more expensive than the meal itself). Outstanding.

I thought they stopped the dancing in the Steakhouse.

Actually, they did a few years ago and I hate going to the Steakhouse now. Just way too long and boring. I love DH's company; but geez, the evening just seems to drag on...........

he enjoys it, so I tough it out at least one evening; but thought perhaps the CT would be a better alternative. We still haven't decided just yet which we are going to do.

We had a really great time at the CT, plenty of wine, fantastic food! The ONLY thing that would keep my wife from going again was the 4 hour time. I enjoyed it all, the magician was a bit much for her. I do think we would do it again on a different ship but maybe not on the same ship. It is nice to hear that other than wine could be served. The Filet was worth it almost alone. Would surely recommend it. Oh and for my wife's birthday they had a cake that we shared with the table so ANOTHER course for the table. WHEW! that was a lot of food!

Just did the CT on the Splendor this month. Good to do once. Chefs were very cordial.

Held in a conference room near kitchen.

Too much food.

Too much time: 4+ hours (6:30 pm to 10:45 pm) included kitchen tour

Too much money for a family: $75 pp + $15 pp ($360 for us)

Don't particularly care for 5 chef's staring at me as I eat.

Advise: Use the bathroom before you go. Hard to excuse yourself.

All attendees received signed cook books and 2 pictures (one from each table end)

Food was fine but most didn't like at least 2 courses out of 7.

Wine was good.

We have done the kitchen tour before which may have lessened the experience.

Just my opinion.

Mike

We did the Chef's Table on the Freedom in May . - we loved it! There is a lot of food but it was amazing - it was for sure a try once in a lifetime experience. I think too it depends on the people who are also dining - the people were very nice that we dined with however, they were all part of a large group of friends so we were the odd ones out, that being said, everyone was very nice and we quite enjoyed our evening. We weren't bored, we did get two pictures as well as a cookbook. There were a lot of fish dishes included so if you are not a fan of fish you might not enjoy it, however, I am not a big fish fan but I loved everything I had - the only thing I didn't like was the dessert which was the chocolate melting cake which I don't like so I didn't have it. I wished that they would have had another choice of dessert.

Thanks again to everyone for your input! I think DH and myself have decided that we would rather spend our mula on a limo (if you know what I mean ;)) from Orlando to PC instead of the CT. Maybe that is something we'll do out of Galveston and no need for any transportation except our own to and from. I cannot thank you enough! The next time you sail - HAVE FUN! (So sorry, there will be NO reviews of the Limo when we return, LOL :D)

Ok, I emailed the Maitre'd on our ship (Freedom, 8/7/11) and am awaiting a response. Will let you know if we book it.

Got my response this afternoon (guess it took a few days) and we're so excited!

[quote name='EMc&DrS'] When a chef has to spend most of his time trying to please 4000 guests, it seemed like he really enjoyed turning his attention to just 11 guests.[/QUOTE]

We did the CT on the Miracle during Thanksgiving week last year and Chef Dias mentioned he enjoyed cooking for the "smaller" group. We had a few CCers in our group so we sort of knew each other. We had a great time but not sure we'd do it again, it is just sooo much food. We love the steakhouse, I'd never been when there was dancing and entertainment so I don't know what I was missing.

[quote name='Texarribean Chick']Thanks again to everyone for your input! I think DH and myself have decided that we would rather spend our mula on a limo [/QUOTE]

I think you made the right choice. Honestly, experiences like this are not for everyone. They are for those that enjoy food as entertainment. That doesn't sound like you. And that's no insult. It's just not for everyone.

[quote name='nogard13']Got my response this afternoon (guess it took a few days) and we're so excited![/quote]

I am trying to book on the freedom but the email is not working? Who did you email? Thanks

Archived