Friends of Dorothy Meetings

Scratchrat

We're both 25 years old and students and find a lot of people assume we're brothers with our parents or something lol

My husband is 23 and I'm 25. We got married almost 6 years ago (I know, both teenagers!) As it is legal for same sex couples to marry in Canada and you have to be 18 (which was husband was when we married)

We started going on cruises in 2009 and have been on two since then. I never knew what a Friend Of Dorothy meeting was on my first cruise. I think because we're younger this term was not something I was familair with. However we seen it posted on our second cruise which was Liberty Of The Seas on RCL. We did not attend the meetings as I had a bit of stage freight perhaps? lol Sometimes meeting new people is difficult for me.

My partner and I don't do PDA (Public Displays of Affection) so we won't hold hands or anything around the ship. If someone asks if we're brothers we tell them we're married. Sometimes if it's a younger person who asks us, or we know they have a sense of humor we'll say " We're Lovers, not brothers" lol.

I have a cruise coming up in November out of Texas, so I don't know if there will be a FOD meeting, but if there perhaps we'll check it out! We're also doing a Transatlantic with RCL next year from Rome to Texas so we may attend a FOD on that one as well.

My partner and I don't do PDA (Public Displays of Affection) so we won't hold hands or anything around the ship.

I know this is kinda OT, but I'm honestly puzzled whenever this comes up. I'm not being snarky here but, hey, you're married. I assume you wear rings? It's readable that you sleep together? So why feel constrained to not even hold hands in public? Do you find it offensive when other couples, straight or gay, do it? Or what?

I know this is kinda OT, but I'm honestly puzzled whenever this comes up. I'm not being snarky here but, hey, you're married. I assume you wear rings? It's readable that you sleep together? So why feel constrained to not even hold hands in public? Do you find it offensive when other couples, straight or gay, do it? Or what?

I think it was just the way I was raised. My mom and Dad don't hold hands walking in the mall, or in the airport. They don't kiss in public, they keep that stuff to the home. So i do it the same way.

I don't care for it when straight couples makes out and feel each other up infront of everyone, I wouldn't want to see that gay or straight.

Now, the be 100% honest with you, I don't like to draw attention to myself. This would include holding hands with my husband so that plays another factor in it.

:)

And yes, we both wear rings.

I think it was just the way I was raised. My mom and Dad don't hold hands walking in the mall, or in the airport. They don't kiss in public, they keep that stuff to the home. So i do it the same way.

Ah, thanks. I guess I'm kinda the opposite. My parents never showed much physical affection, either, and I now find that sad. And I must confess that I find walking hand-in-hand down the promenade deck at sunset one of the loveliest things I can imagine.

A comment should be made as to times when there were no Friends Of Dorothy get-togethers aboard. On our trip to China we felt, probably incorrectly, that we were the only gays aboard. We toured with a group of straight couples some of which understood our relationship other who would today still not understand. We count our blessings that there are these gay get-togethers today.

I have a feeling we'll be the only 'gays in the village' with the upcoming cruise we're going on. I've done a roll call but so far no one has responded - and it's in Feb 2012, usually people would have responded by now.

I suppose we'll find out the first FOD meeting. I hope that the people onboard are more understanding and friendly than what you experienced.

We sail Oct 21 and I haven't heard of any others joining this cruise 9 days on the Carnival Spirit. My wife and I don't even notice if we are doing a public show of affection. We just do what comes natural to us..I think we kiss hold hands and rub each others legs at times..Share a lounger and just do what feels right. We travel with a 6 year old (Granddaughter) that we have custody of... If we didn't do the above she would think ...."are you mad at each other"" so natural above all else.

This is our 4th cruise..including the goober....People on Carnival were great with our family and we didn't notice any "issues"

I have a feeling we'll be the only 'gays in the village' with the upcoming cruise we're going on. I've done a roll call but so far no one has responded - and it's in Feb 2012, usually people would have responded by now.

We usually cruise in February & late October. We have created roll calls for several of our cruises with no response on any, but once on board, you will usually find a few "family members".

I agree with the poster who said the FOD meetings vary by ship and guests. We have sailed on identical dates in different years, and one time we were the only ones in attendance for FOD gatherings, and the next cruise there were quite a few who showed-up.

We once posted all our cruise plans expecting to hear of others who would be aboard and who we may be able to socialize with. We have yet to have an answer on this board. And yet when we get aboard there are all sorts of fellow gays who are at the Dorothy meeting. On occasion I ask it they knew about CC and the Gay & Lesbian Cruisers segment of the site and the only answer we get is "Huh?" We now just go with the flow and there will always now be someone at the gathering, not like the old days.

Noordam Transatlantic April 28 thru May 16. Asked for GLBT Cocktail hour. Suggested Atrium Bar. Hotel Manager readily agreed and set it up. In the program every day. Great bartender and waiter who both worked the event for the whole cruise and got to know everybody. Ship provided extra hot and cold hors d'oeuvres, champagne (and a cake) for two birthdays. Ships senior staff dropped by each night to say hi and make sure all was well. About 24 core passengers showed up most nights but sometimes the group got to be nearly forty. Affable, jolly crowd age 35 to 75 - mostly 50s and 60s which matched the demographic of the ship. Even mix of couples and singles. Nothing creepy at all. Saw each other around the ship, couples held hands, danced. Nobody seemed to care or even notice.

We've only been on one cruise - QM2 Transatlantic crossing - and the FOD meetings were advertised in the daily ship program.

1. What age of people tend to go?

On our cruise there was only a set of brothers in our age group (mid thirties) with everyone else being mid forties and older.

2. What usually happens there?

Conversation and drinks.

3. Is it couples or singles mainly?

Nearly all couples.

4. Is it used for sexual "pick-ups"?

Could have been, we weren't aware of any. Certainly nobody tried to pick us up.:o

Cunard's FOD meetings are held in the Commodore Club which overlooks the bow. It's a great location provided the waves aren't rough (we were a trifle sea-sick the first couple of days).

The only disappointment we had about the FOD meetings had nothing to do with the meetings themselves. It was more that everyone had already bonded and struck up a friendship by the time we boarded. Our Westbound Transatlantic was the last leg of a Mediterranean Cruise from New York two weeks prior. The meetings were nice but we felt a little on the outer so didn't go more than a couple of times. I think these kind of meetings are more enjoyable if you board at the same time as everyone else.

Below is a pic of the Commodore Club.

web.jpg?ver=13066763390001

Been there several times. They used to have the meetings in the boardroom. Unfortunately that's been hijacked for the "Friends of Bill W." The board room had a more private feeling.Many pass through the Commodore Club & don't know what it's all about.

I suppose we'll find out the first FOD meeting. I hope that the people onboard are more understanding and friendly than what you experienced.

Trust me there's loads of us on that cruise. I only saw about 2 0n my QM2 rollcall last Nov. But saw at least 100+ on the ship. Not all attend the FOD events.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from an eastern Meditteranean cruise on Norwegian's Jade. Every night in the Star Bar from around 8-10 p.m they had a FOD gathering, which was listed in the "Freestyle Daily" newsletter as "Friends of Dorothy (GLBT)." This was an unhosted event.

Just came back from an eastern Meditteranean cruise on Norwegian's Jade. Every night in the Star Bar from around 8-10 p.m they had a FOD gathering, which was listed in the "Freestyle Daily" newsletter as "Friends of Dorothy (GLBT)." This was an unhosted event.

How was the turnout at the FOD events? And how did you like the cruise? I would eventually love to do a Med cruise and a Baltic cruise on NCL.

Has anyone been on an Alaska cruise? I am leaving on a Princess Alaskan cruise this Saturday. I know that there is at least one other gay couple going (yay!), but think that for the most part there won't be too many others onboard (I am pretty sure we gays are warm weather types).

As you can see from my sig, we've spent over 100 days at sea, mostly on NCL.

The FoD meetings are always posted in the Freestyle Daily, though it's seldom that any crew / staff show up. They are generally in a bar, and people just introduce themselves.

We've only been cruising as a couple (44 & 37.... together 18 years), but have found many single guys (usually in groups of friends cruising together) who come to the FOD meetings.

Have made many friends along the way.

Stephen

My partner and I (18 years) have been on several cruises together, but it wasn't until last year that we noticed the FOD meetings near the end of an Alaskan cruise (which was horrible). One of the things that made the cruise so bad was that since it was "Free Style" dining we did not have table mates to chat with, and this cruise seemed to be very full of large family units. In general it was not a very friendly group of people on the cruise, but that is another topic. We spent most of the time talking to each other, and that can get old. When we went to the FOD meeting there was no one there. Perhaps if we had gone earlier...

On the last cruise we made a point of going to the FOD meeting on the first night. There was a group traveling together, some couples, some singles, ages 30-55. They were very friendly and asked us to join them around tables, and when more arrived, they were invited to join our group. We ended up going to dinner together as a group and had a wonderful time. We went separate ways but kept bumping into each other. The next night we all were in the lounge again, had dinner together and had a great time. By the third day we were calling each other for lunch plans, drinks, shows, etc...It was so much fun. The group wasn't always the same guys, and no one felt that they had to do the group thing, but it was an option. By the end of the cruise we had become such good friends that we stay in touch.

There were a few guys who poked their head into the lounge and left, but not because we were unfriendly. Maybe they were looking for something else?

I saw the comments about assimilating. There are some very valid points made there, but it is really a very individual decision. You might want to fit into the general population at times, but sometimes its nice to hang out with other people whose life is a lot like yours, good and bad. We share a lot of things in common which we do not share with straights.

It is a vacation and an adventure. I don't think it is the place to meet the love of your life, but it could happen or not. We had a great time on the cruise because we met some people to interact with. I hope we can do the same on our next cruise.

Thanks for your reply. I hear that most of the ships have the meetings posted, or if not, then you can ask at the front desk. I think we will just wait and see. If there aren't any, it doesn't really matter since we are going with my parents and my sister and her husband. But it is always nice to meet some Gay people where ever one goes!

Rotterdam Transatlantic May 17 thru June 2. Cruise Director very GLBT friendly. GLBT cocktail hour listed in the program every day. First couple of days in the Crows Nest until the seas became too uncooperative to hold it that high up and forward on the ship. Moved to the Martini Bar (no windows) for most of mid-cruise and then to a corner of the Ocean Bar (big windows) for the rest of the crossing. Scheduled for 4-5pm to take advantage of HAL's 2-for-1 happy hour. Great bartenders and waiters who always announced "last call happy hour" at 4:55pm! The cruise director stopped by a couple of times to make sure all was going well. Usually 5-6 couples and a couple of guys traveling solo. Never any more than 10 couples. Ages 40's-70's which was consistent with the rest of the passengers on this crossing. Saw most guys around the ship, in port and on excursions. The Crows Nest became a defacto gay bar most evenings after about 11:30pm-closing. HAL has a second, late evening 2-for-1 happy hour from 11pm-midnight which kept the Crows Nest lively. Guys danced with guys, girls danced with girls, the cruise director danced with everybody and the DJ played everyone's requests from classic Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor disco to Beyonce, Gaga and Brittany. Nobody seemed to care who danced with who and a good time was had by all.

• 6 months later...
8:00 every night? I guess if you had late seating, you were SOL.

They were always at 4PM on Cunard in the Commodore Club. Sometimes we'd get together with folks we met & go to tea. Tea was at the same time as the GLBT meetings, which was a pain.

They were always at 4PM on Cunard in the Commodore Club. Sometimes we'd get together with folks we met & go to tea. Tea was at the same time as the GLBT meetings, which was a pain.

In my experience with the 4PM FOD meetings on Cunard, I could still arrive between 4:30 and 4:45 (post-tea) and spend plenty of time socializing. Most attendees would linger at least until the Brittania's first seating.

We'd often meet, informally, back at the Commodore Club in the late evening as well.

Hey everyone,

Sorry for being so naieve here. Me, my wife and 13 yr old son will be cruising on the NCL Jewel. I would love to hook up with other lesbian/gay couples, but am totally clueless on how to begin.

I am surprised that I was able to find this forum LOL. Can anyone suggest a good starting point for us? We cruised once before for our honeymoon and spent the entire cruise to ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we had a blast! Just thought it would be fun to meet up with some new friends.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Archived