annoyed w/ Photobucket....

What is the next best site to upload pix to?

Photobucket NEVER uploads all the pictures I want it to anymore.... This morning I was uploading only 10 pictures...and only 9 were uploaded. Always giving me an 'error'. :mad:

Not sure what the problem is, but I will have hundreds to upload in July after our cruise, and I really don't want to deal with figuring out which pictures Photobucket decided to take.

So, what's the next best option that WILL take ALL the pix I want to upload...be it 10 or 500 pictures?

thanks for the help! :)

Shutterfly is probably a bit like Photobucket in style.

Flickr is a huge site that is more a mix of photo hosting and social networking site.

Smugmug is a less crowded version of the same, with ability to add some professional site touches and sales.

Pbase is a longtime photo hosting site mostly just photography - no social network/YouTube/video stuff or big chat communities.

Zenfolio is a newer photo hosting site similar to Pbase, more centered around photography than social networking.

Just a few ideas - I'm sure there are many more out there. I've been with PBase for years, and happy - all I needed was a nice place to host a gallery of photos, and generate some sales...hit rate is very good and uploading is a cinch for me - I usually upload hundreds of photos at a time. It's not the cheapest one in the world.

Shutterfly is probably a bit like Photobucket in style.

Flickr is a huge site that is more a mix of photo hosting and social networking site.

Smugmug is a less crowded version of the same, with ability to add some professional site touches and sales.

Pbase is a longtime photo hosting site mostly just photography - no social network/YouTube/video stuff or big chat communities.

Zenfolio is a newer photo hosting site similar to Pbase, more centered around photography than social networking.

Just a few ideas - I'm sure there are many more out there. I've been with PBase for years, and happy - all I needed was a nice place to host a gallery of photos, and generate some sales...hit rate is very good and uploading is a cinch for me - I usually upload hundreds of photos at a time. It's not the cheapest one in the world.

How do the sales work? Do you sell them as stock photos, or can random people buy the picture(s) they want for their own use?

I use Zenfolio and am in the process of setting up sales. You set your price and people can order and have them delivered directly to their address. Zenfolio takes a percentage but it is almost seamless for the seller.

Dave

What is the next best site to upload pix to?

Photobucket NEVER uploads all the pictures I want it to anymore.... This morning I was uploading only 10 pictures...and only 9 were uploaded. Always giving me an 'error'. :mad:

Not sure what the problem is, but I will have hundreds to upload in July after our cruise, and I really don't want to deal with figuring out which pictures Photobucket decided to take.

So, what's the next best option that WILL take ALL the pix I want to upload...be it 10 or 500 pictures?

thanks for the help! :)

[/qu

I use Snapfish and Shutterfly - I think Shutterfly is the most user friendly

Sales can be done the way Dave mentioned above, where sellers can buy directly...I haven't really wanted to set up that way - probably because I'm a control freak and like to know who wants photos and when they buy. So I looked for a site with good traffic, and respond to requests for individual prints, publication, or stock agencies. I don't go out and market them or try to sell to stock, but once they find you, they keep you on a shortlist and you may get additional sales. Most of my photo income has come from publications, with personal sales next, and stock last. Stock pays very little, whereas publication can pay pretty well. It isn't a career type income - just side money - helps pay for the equipment.

I use smugmug, but you have to pay a yearly fee.

I did have flickr and bought the Pro (unlimited), but when I didn't renew, it only lets you upload a certain amount per month and that's it. Even if you try to remove some, it doesn't take away from your "amount" for the month.

Photobucket is crappy, I agree, but I still use them for certain 1 load pictures here and there. I use to use imageshack, but I've noticed that they changed recently as well and I don't feel like messing with them if I don't have to.

Flashing ads, pop-ups, a new ad to load every time you click 'Next' to see the next picture. You get what you pay for . . .

I have been with smugmug for years, was a Pro now Power user but will return to Pro soon.

Flashing ads, pop-ups, a new ad to load every time you click 'Next' to see the next picture. You get what you pay for . . .

I have been with smugmug for years, was a Pro now Power user but will return to Pro soon.

Not to mention they look very professional as well with the black backgrounds. I love Smugmug and feel it's well worth the money you pay once a year.

I just happened to look at webshots the other day and it looks like a good site and I believe the annual membership is now $19.99.

Keith

Thanks! :) I will check that $19.99 membership fee out!

Archived