Recomended books.... To read on the cruise

CruiseGal97

[quote name='ShrajoGator'][B][I]A Discovery of Witches[/I] by Deborah Harkness[/B]....It is an amazing book, long enough to keep you reading for a week (about 600 pages). Although, I did read it twice in one week. (I just read very fast though).[/QUOTE]

I'm reading this book right now and it's GREAT! Especially for someone who actually worked in a molecular biology/evolution lab... but I worked with butterflies, not otherworldly creatures :)

I am so loving this thread...

Jen Lancaster is really funny. Her memoirs (Bitter is the New Black, Such a Pretty Fat, Pretty in Plaid...) are the best. She has a new fiction novel out (If you were here) which isn't as good...

She will have you laughing out loud with tears rolling down your face.

I started reading The Heaven Trilogy by Ted Dekker while on my last cruise. AWESOME series. It's a set of three books in one. If you like thrillers, these books are great. I had my friend reading his Circle Trilogy on the cruise at the same time. Anything by Ted is great.

There's nothing like sitting in the sun with a cool drink in one hand and a book in the other. My kinda vacation :)

I love Ted Dekker books. The Circle Trilogy was great. Hard to keep calling it a trilogy though since he added the forth book.

I'm currently reading "Life on a ROck" available on Kindle. Is about a couple that work on a cay of the Bahamas in resort type place. Issues they face. Its a fun read.

Some my favorites are

Sail - James patterson

Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

Skinny Dip - Carl Hiaasen

Truth about cruising

cruise confidenial

I have been able to add some to my list thanks to this thread. These are always my favorite.:D

definately cruise confidential and now im reading the sequel, ship for brains, written by an ex cruise line employee, really gave me a new perspective about the industry as a whole. great read.

here is a better discription of Life on the Rock

Product Description

Kate lived on Highborne Cay, Exuma in the Bahamas, for five years. Most people think it would be a vacation paradise to live and work on a small island, away from the stress and confusion of everyday life.

This book will tell otherwise. It is the true story of a woman who learned about courage, fortitude and patience as she continually faced extraordinary and often dangerous situations in a place that had no doctor, no police nor other emergency personnel. Her everyday experiences in an isolated surrounding provide excitement and give a fresh and thought-provoking view of unusual events that were part of her life on this tiny, unprotected island in the Caribbean.

From an armed robbery, drug traders and illegal immigrants, to medical mishaps and disasters at sea, Kate learned in those short five years that she and her husband, Peter, would be forced to step forward to protect the island and its people.

good cruise or summer read.

Bit of a Fantasy buff myself so I would suggest a very big series called The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. By far one of the deepest expansive character driven series of books i have ever read!!:D

I just hit a local used book store grab a couple of paperbacks of books I haven't read by authors I like and then leave them in the ship's library when I'm done. Just picked up Elmore Leonard's "Unknown Man No 89" and one of Lawrence Block's old "Burglar Who" series with Bernie Rhodenbarr from the 70's. And saved money versus Kindle.

I love Ted Dekker books. The Circle Trilogy was great. Hard to keep calling it a trilogy though since he added the forth book.

Oh wow, I didn't realize there's a 4th?! I'm off to amazon.com now...:D

• 1 month later...

For those who like fantasy and like to read series, Jim Butcher has a great series called the Dresden Files. Its 12 books I think. My husband loved them!

Thanks for all the recommendations... cant wait to try some of your suggestions.

I agree with The Help.. Great book.. Couldn't get into Water for Elephants AT All! Tried 3 times just didn't interest me!

Just finished Reading Book 1 of the Hunger Games.. finished it in a day.. have the other 2 books on order now!

I'm on the second book "Catching Fire". I'm glad I have a Kindle. I was about to finish the 1st book so I ordered the 2nd one.....It was waiting for me in about 30 seconds! :D

Read two of the Steig Larsson trilogy last cruise--Girl with the Dragon Tatoo can be a bit slow at first, then I couldn't put it down. Taking a few Lisa Scottoline books with me this time since I like her connection to Philly and love her charaters.:p:p

definately cruise confidential and now im reading the sequel, ship for brains, written by an ex cruise line employee, really gave me a new perspective about the industry as a whole. great read.

If you like Cruise Confidential you might want to try Concierge Confidential which deals with hotels.

I love all Jodi Picoult´s books...they are deep , but you can´t put them down. Best ones: My Sister´s Keeper , Plain Truth , Nineteen Minutes

I love the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy , as recommended by previous posters.

Favorite Book of All Time: The Stand by Stephen King , also loved the Dead Zone

Any book by Harlan Coben , you won´t be able to put them down.So fast moving and suspenseful

A young adult author I always have loved: Lois Duncan: summer of Fear , Down a Dark Hall , Stranger with my Face

dean Koontz´s earlier books: Lightning and Twilight are the best!

I love to read!

If you are a mystery fan and enjoyed the -- Harry Bosch series - by Michael Connelly you will definetly enjoy Mystery author, Jonathan King's series of ex-Philly Police Officer turned Florida Everglades detective, Max Freeman. All of his books take place in the Fla Everglades, Ft.Lauderdale-Miami area. I could not finish the series quick enough. Here is a list of the Max Freeman series in order:

The Blue Edge of Midnight

A Visible Darkness

Shadow Men

A Killing Night

Eye of Vengeance

Acts of Nature

Midnight Guardians

Archived