Recomended books.... To read on the cruise

CruiseGal97

Leaving in a week for the Carnival Inspiration.

I just downloaded "Ship For Brains" the 2nd cruise confidentional book, and the 4th Kim Harrison "hollows" book to the kindle on my Ipod

may not finish either book, but it is nice to have somthing to relax with.

not having to acually carry abook is great! :D

I love to read and would suggest any of the following:

Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series (there are several books out)

Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series (11 books)

Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompston series (if you like the Sookie Stackhouse series you'll like it)

Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series and Cerdar Cove series

James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series

Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series

Pamala Aiden - An Assembly Such as This, Duty and Desire and These Three Remain (Pride and Prejudice from the perspective of Darcy

I could go on and on.

I'll recommend

The Informationist

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Funniest book written next to Our Hearts were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner & Emily Kimbrough. His newest "At home" is also an informative read (but not funny).

The Good Thief (A YA book but well written)

The Hunger Games (another YA book. Didn't find the 2 following as compelling)

Under the March Sun (about baseball spring training)

I've read 50% on my nook and 50% "analog"

I'm sure I'll think of more.....

Yours, Traveling Library

For all of you ladies out there, I love Danielle Steel, Debbie McComber, and Susan Wiggs books. All of these are awesome. there are others that I cannot remember, but you cannot go wrong with these, alson Barbara Delinskie.

Since I have seen James Patterson mentioned in here multiple times...

It seems like the only books he puts out, written just by him, are the Alex Cross series. (I buy all of those for my DW, along with his Women's Murder Club series)

Other than those, he puts out a different book every two to three weeks with a co-author.

Does he actually write any of those books, or just lets the co-writer write them, then edits a bit, slaps his name on it and both him and the co-writer make a huge chunk of change off of his name being on the cover?

Nobody can seriously crank out 20-30 books a year.

Been driving me crazy since he started doing it a few years ago.

Bill

I never really thought about the reason he has so many co-authors. I love most of his books, I think he must co-write in all of them because its his style of writing but I honestly don't know. Now that is going to drive ME crazy. Thanks alot! LOL.

Lisa Jackson writes some pretty good murder/romance novels. As my son would call it, good "junk food" novel.

"The Help" is wonderful!

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" is also wonderful.

"The Memory Palace" is also one of the best.

I prefer non-fiction to fiction, but these books read as a novel. And, my Kindle rocks!

The following books were liked by ALL members of my very eclectic book club...in three years....there have only been three books that we all liked they are......

#1 Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand (also read and loved by many of the husbands)

#2 The Help by Kathryn Stockett (can't wait for her to write something else and for the movie in 2012)

#3 Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (i also loved the rest of this series and can't wait for her to write something else and ofcourse the movie in 2012)

Happy Reading!

The Leisure Seeker is a book I recently read. About an older couple- husband with alzheimers, wife with stage 4 cancer. They decide to take a road trip- against their family and drs orders. There are some laugh out loud moments.

A Dog's Purpose - just finished this one- very good- but not too light

Recently I enjoyed The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman. Good plot, cleverly crafted, not too light or too heavy, just right for a cruise!

The Help would also be great and the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, I've enjoyed both. Right now I'm reading The Disappearing Spoon, a good book, but too much thinking for a cruise in my opinion.

I bought The Help and Water for Elephants to take with me on Saturday when we leave on the Freedom. I hear it is a great book. I just finished "Heaven is for Real" and "90 Minutes in Heaven". Both are great books!

I'm a bit of a Politics/History/Economics junkie...so I generally love anything written by Bob Woodward. His last few books are pretty much behind-the-scenes accounts of National Security Council meetings and the backdoor dealings involved with the Iraq/Afghanistan wars.

However, if you wanted something a bit lighter I highly suggest the Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, which provide a interesting (if a bit unconventional) look at the global economy and how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Economist-Explores-Hidden-Everything/dp/006073132X

I also would suggest anything Tom Clancy...but especially Red Storm Rising. An awesome tale of a theoretical war between the USA and USSR in set in the early 80's.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Storm-Rising-Tom-Clancy/dp/042510107X

If you're into the economics, you should also check out anything written by Arthur Laffer. His economic theories, while they are bit of dry reading, really give you a unique perspective on how our economy operates and how govt policy has an impact on it.

http://www.amazon.com/President-Reagans-Initial-Actions-Project/dp/1439165904/

http://www.amazon.com/End-Prosperity-Higher-Economy--If-Happen/dp/1416592393/

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Prosperity-America-Economic-Superpower/dp/B0048ELEJ0/

Other good reads:

The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw (May 11, 2004)

The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections by Tom Brokaw (Oct 11, 2005)

I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan by Nancy Reagan (Feb 26, 2002)

Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America by Kiron K. Skinner, Annelise Anderson, Martin Anderson and George P. Shultz (Oct 9, 2001)

I loved Summer Sisters, good book.

More historical, but a good book I liked was called 'When broken glass floats'. I don't do heavy books, this was a page turner!

Currently reading 'Big Girl' by Danielle Steele. Nice light summer reading book & not your typical romantic Danielle Steele stuff.

I just bought Ship for Brains: Cruise Confidential 2 for my Kindle. This book is supposed to focus on the onboard Art sales.

I also broke down and bought Blind Allegience to Sarah Palin and can't wait to start it once I get through the library books I have on hand.

I have also read my way through the entir Guardians of Ga'Hoole series (all 15 books)

Saving this for my summer reading list.

I am currently re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series by Charlaine Harris in wait for the True Blood series return on June 24th. I also bought book 10 for my ereader but am waiting since the reviews say there is a big continuity issue. I also liked her Aurora Teagarden series.

Loved The Help but read The Postmistress at the same time and liked that one better. Might be a little heavy for a cruise though.

I never can read on a cruise, ten minutes after I settle down I am nodding off. :)

[quote name='McDebbie']Saving this for my summer reading list.

I am currently re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series by Charlaine Harris in wait for the True Blood series return on June 24th. I also bought book 10 for my ereader but am waiting since the reviews say there is a big continuity issue. I also liked her Aurora Teagarden series.

Loved The Help but read The Postmistress at the same time and liked that one better. Might be a little heavy for a cruise though.

I never can read on a cruise, ten minutes after I settle down I am nodding off. :)[/quote]
The sookie stack house is a little to 'dirty' for my liking

Okay, thanks to recommendations I bought 2 books... Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner and Still Summer by Jacquelyn Mitchard.

Which do I read first?! They both sound good, but different. I want something easy reading that I don't have to concentrate too much.

[quote name='bguppies']Since I have seen James Patterson mentioned in here multiple times...

It seems like the only books he puts out, written just by him, are the Alex Cross series. (I buy all of those for my DW, along with his Women's Murder Club series)

Other than those, he puts out a different book every two to three weeks with a co-author.

Does he actually write any of those books, or just lets the co-writer write them, then edits a bit, slaps his name on it and both him and the co-writer make a huge chunk of change off of his name being on the cover?

Nobody can seriously crank out 20-30 books a year.

Been driving me crazy since he started doing it a few years ago.

Bill[/quote]

I have never read one of his books but was tempted to buy one at BN the other day. But then it just became to overwheming because he has SOOO many! But since he's recommended, I may go back and get one. Which one is good??

Archived