Recomended books.... To read on the cruise

CruiseGal97

[quote name='McDebbie']Saving this for my summer reading list.

I am currently re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series by Charlaine Harris in wait for the True Blood series return on June 24th. I also bought book 10 for my ereader but am waiting since the reviews say there is a big continuity issue. I also liked her Aurora Teagarden series.

Loved The Help but read The Postmistress at the same time and liked that one better. Might be a little heavy for a cruise though.

I never can read on a cruise, ten minutes after I settle down I am nodding off. :)[/QUOTE]

If you like the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series you would probably like Patricia Briggs' Mercedes Thompson series. I also really like Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld Series which has a lot of strong female characters.

I have a Kindle and plenty of books on my bookshelves that I haven't read yet. But when on a cruise, I like to find a book or two in the ship library to read. I always wind up reading a book that I otherwise would never have come across. I haven't picked one out yet that I didn't enjoy. One of them I loved so much that I bought my own hardback copy when I got back (The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe).

Based on my experience on Freedom, it is a bit harder to use the library on Carnival than on some other lines because they keep the books locked up and the attendant is not always there when the Funtimes says the library will be open. We are going to have a spa cabin on our next cruise and I'm looking forward to lying about on a heated tile lounger and reading some good books :)

[quote name='shadoo']"The Art of Racing in the Rain" was a great book about a dog named Enzo and his owner. I just loved that book and could not put it down. Great cruise reading. :):):):)[/QUOTE]

I agree, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is one of the best books I've ever read! In fact I read that on a cruise about a year and a half ago!

Great thread! I love the Janet Evanovich series and James Patterson. I am going to vote for 2 I haven't seen on this list yet. Robert Parker either the Jesse Stone or Spenser series and the Stieg Larsson Millennium series (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) just saw the trailer for the movie I can't wait for the movie to come out.

[quote name='viciouslysh']I have never read one of his books but was tempted to buy one at BN the other day. But then it just became to overwheming because he has SOOO many! But since he's recommended, I may go back and get one. Which one is good??[/quote]

I read his first 3 Alex Cross novels
Along Came a Spider
Kiss the Girls
Jack and Jill
All 3 were great.

My DW has read almost all 16 Alex Cross books he has out.

She is also a big fan of his Women's Murder Club series and I think she is up to the 10th book. (I love that series, as I buy the books for DW and since they are numbered, it makes it easier for me to remember which one she is up to.:D)

DW is also a big fan of.....

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (numbered, LOVE her)
Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series (alphabet series, LOVE her too)
Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series
John Sanford's Lucas Davenport (Prey) series
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series
Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series
Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series
Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series
Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan series

At least that is what I can remember off the top of my head.
Can you tell DW loves to read? :D
I guess I had better stay in line, because I'm pretty sure she could make me disappear and get away with it.;)

Bill

[quote name='bguppies']I read his first 3 Alex Cross novels
Along Came a Spider
Kiss the Girls
Jack and Jill
All 3 were great.

My DW has read almost all 16 Alex Cross books he has out.

She is also a big fan of his Women's Murder Club series and I think she is up to the 10th book. (I love that series, as I buy the books for DW and since they are numbered, it makes it easier for me to remember which one she is up to.:D)

DW is also a big fan of.....

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (numbered, LOVE her)
Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series (alphabet series, LOVE her too)
Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series
John Sanford's Lucas Davenport (Prey) series
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series
Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series
Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series
Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series
Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan series

At least that is what I can remember off the top of my head.
Can you tell DW loves to read? :D
I guess I had better stay in line, because I'm pretty sure she could make me disappear and get away with it.;)

Bill[/quote]

Your wife and I are on the same page :D. I would also add

Faye Kellerman Decker/Lazarus series
JD Robb in death series

[quote name='bguppies']I read his first 3 Alex Cross novels
Along Came a Spider
Kiss the Girls
Jack and Jill
All 3 were great. [/quote]

Ooh forgot about these, they were great!

Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan series... that is what the series 'Bones' was based on right? If so, then yes, I like those books too!

The Hunger Games and Cutting For Stone are both great suggestions. I brought the first Hunger Games book with me on my last cruise, not thinking I would get around to reading it, but I loved it-and read all 3 of the books in the trilogy(Hunger Games,Catching Fire and Mockingjay)

[quote name='Crystalbast']I just bought Ship for Brains: Cruise Confidential 2 for my Kindle. This book is supposed to focus on the onboard Art sales.

I also broke down and bought Blind Allegience to Sarah Palin and can't wait to start it once I get through the library books I have on hand.

I have also read my way through the entir Guardians of Ga'Hoole series (all 15 books)[/QUOTE]
Ship For Brains is available now? Awesome!!

For those of you who like audio books I have discovered the joys of free downloads from my local library. I found out that when I download a book and transfer it to my Ipod that it is not removed from my Ipod until I delete it. That way, if you have plenty of time before your cruise you can load it up with several audiobooks. MP3 formats can be downloaded on mac computers but wma formats take a computer with a windows format. I love both ebooks and audiobooks because they are so easy to travel with. The audio format via the library has helped me to discover authors I hadn't tried before.

If you have any of the ereaders except the Kindle you might be able to get ebooks from your library as well.

[quote name='NJsharon']Okay, thanks to recommendations I bought 2 books... Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner and Still Summer by Jacquelyn Mitchard.

Which do I read first?! They both sound good, but different. I want something easy reading that I don't have to concentrate too much.[/QUOTE]

I thought both were easy reads, but that Still Summer was more the page turner of the two (in a can't-put-it-down kind of way)

[quote name='rnvattes']I thought both were easy reads, but that Still Summer was more the page turner of the two (in a can't-put-it-down kind of way)[/quote]

What is still summer about?:confused::confused::confused:

[quote name='mariemorgan']I agree with The Help.. Great book.. Couldn't get into Water for Elephants AT All! Tried 3 times just didn't interest me!

Just finished Reading Book 1 of the Hunger Games.. finished it in a day.. have the other 2 books on order now![/QUOTE]

My daughter had to read Hunger Games for school a couple of weeks ago and loved it. She made me buy Catching Fire and Mockingjay. She is now reading Mockingjay.

A couple of days ago I saw Hunger Games laying around our house and I didn't have anything to read. Yes, it's for young adults but it really captures your imagination. I couldn't put it down and finished it this morning. I really enjoyed it and now I have to grab the next book from her. I will try restrain myself and read the Mockingjay on our cruise in a month.

I love to read on cruises! I remember that right before our first cruise, a new Harry Potter came out. We were driving to Galveston and we all kept a watch out for a Walmart. Our two families had to stop and our group bought 8, yes 8, Harry Potters. Every kid had to have one, and yes, me too!! We actually all finished the book before embarkation.

It was so memorable because we hooked up a head of time with some CC role call people from Canada (who became quick friends!!) Their two teens also had the HP book--English addition which had a different title and some of the words were different. Lots of teens and young adults were carrying the HP books around the ship. As a teacher I thought that was Very cool!

I usually like to read Janet Evanovich on a cruise cuz she is so funny.

I am also a huge James Patterson fan. I saw an interview with him once and he said that he comes up with an idea--has the co-author do all the research, then he writes. He often uses the same co author/researcher for the same series so it makes for easy continuity.

[quote name='CruiseGal97']I have an issue, I got into my stash of books to read early before my cruise on the 20th I'm June. I know I can read this book before then ( the time travelers wife) becuase it is such a great book! what books do you recommend as a good read, young adult is fine with me BUT PLEASE no trashy romance novels!!! Thanks every one, I sure do appreciate it!:)[/QUOTE]
[B][I]A Discovery of Witches[/I] by Deborah Harkness[/B]....It is an amazing book, long enough to keep you reading for a week (about 600 pages). Although, I did read it twice in one week. (I just read very fast though).

[B][I]Vampire Federation Uprising[/I] by Sean McCabe[/B]...much shorter than the first and only about $10 at Barnes-N-Nobles.

My favorite by far is the first one. Its the 1st in a trilogy. Hope these help!!

[quote name='shadoo']"The Art of Racing in the Rain" was a great book about a dog named Enzo and his owner. I just loved that book and could not put it down. Great cruise reading. :):):):)[/quote]

I was going to suggest this one, I think this would be a great vacation read. Fast reading and such an all around good book. I also love Sandra Brown's suspense books or Harlan Cobin for vacation reads. You can't go wrong with the Hunger game series or the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series except I coudn't put either series down when I read them. It lead to me ignoring friends while on vacation!

[quote name='CruiseGal97']What is still summer about?:confused::confused::confused:[/QUOTE]

From earlier in this thread ;)

Still Summer is FANTASTIC too --
"From Publishers Weekly
Bestselling Mitchard offers the harrowing tale of four women lost at sea and pitted against nature and a cohort of contemporary pirates. Tracy, Holly and Olivia have known each other since high school, when they were glamorous, popular troublemakers. Twenty-five years after graduation, the three women, plus Tracy's 19-year-old daughter, Camille, set out on a "reading, sunning, gossiping" trip aboard a luxe sailboat helmed by a two-man crew. But a storm leaves the women adrift with no sail or engine and their co-captains gone overboard. With limited sailing experience, failing radio equipment and a rapidly diminishing cache of food and water, the women are vulnerable to the worst threats the Caribbean can offer—the elements, sharks and, most troublesome, pirates. This fast-paced novel borrows qualities from several genres—suspense, survival epic, coming-of-age—and mostly succeeds in melding the better aspects of each, though Mitchard has a surer hand in creating women characters than men. Mitchard's fans will appreciate this high-stakes adventure. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. "

[quote name='rnvattes']From earlier in this thread ;)

Still Summer is FANTASTIC too --
"From Publishers Weekly
Bestselling Mitchard offers the harrowing tale of four women lost at sea and pitted against nature and a cohort of contemporary pirates. Tracy, Holly and Olivia have known each other since high school, when they were glamorous, popular troublemakers. Twenty-five years after graduation, the three women, plus Tracy's 19-year-old daughter, Camille, set out on a "reading, sunning, gossiping" trip aboard a luxe sailboat helmed by a two-man crew. But a storm leaves the women adrift with no sail or engine and their co-captains gone overboard. With limited sailing experience, failing radio equipment and a rapidly diminishing cache of food and water, the women are vulnerable to the worst threats the Caribbean can offer—the elements, sharks and, most troublesome, pirates. This fast-paced novel borrows qualities from several genres—suspense, survival epic, coming-of-age—and mostly succeeds in melding the better aspects of each, though Mitchard has a surer hand in creating women characters than men. Mitchard's fans will appreciate this high-stakes adventure. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. "[/quote]

Read this a couple summers ago... it was really really good!

I started reading The Heaven Trilogy by Ted Dekker while on my last cruise. AWESOME series. It's a set of three books in one. If you like thrillers, these books are great. I had my friend reading his Circle Trilogy on the cruise at the same time. Anything by Ted is great.

There's nothing like sitting in the sun with a cool drink in one hand and a book in the other. My kinda vacation :)

Archived