Recomended books.... To read on the cruise

CruiseGal97

I have an issue, I got into my stash of books to read early before my cruise on the 20th I'm June. I know I can read this book before then ( the time travelers wife) becuase it is such a great book! what books do you recommend as a good read, young adult is fine with me BUT PLEASE no trashy romance novels!!! Thanks every one, I sure do appreciate it!:)

I have an issue, I got into my stash of books to read early before my cruise on the 20th I'm June. I know I can read this book before then ( the time travelers wife) becuase it is such a great book! what books do you recommend as a good read, young adult is fine with me BUT PLEASE no trashy romance novels!!! Thanks every one, I sure do appreciate it!:)

Two of my favorite are "Cutting for Stone" and "Water for Elephants" but "The Help" is the best book I have read in a long time. Not light reading but riveting.

Wifey and I just got Nooks and I am saving Jean Auel's 7th "Earth's Children" book and Tom Clancy's Newest. Wifey is going to read Nora Robert's "Wedding Quadriligy" Is that a word? HAHA!

Like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Hilarious and very easy to read. Also like anything by James Patterson - his chapters are very short, so finding a stopping point is easy.

CJ

Some of my favorite authors are: Vince Flynn, David Baldacci, James Patterson, Brad Thor, John Grisham, and Greg Iles. They all have series characters as well as individual novels. They all have websites that give you the books in chronological order, and they are all excellent writers. If you have a Nook or Kindle their books are also available on those.

The Land of the Painted Cave by Jean Auel (if you've read the rest of the Clan of the Cave Bear books)

Water for Elephants (Awesome book!)

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Anything by Janet Evanovich or Kim Harrison for light reading and comedy.

Have a great cruise!! 3waving.gif

Two of my favorite are "Cutting for Stone" and "Water for Elephants" but "The Help" is the best book I have read in a long time. Not light reading but riveting.

"The Help," absolutely Here's where you can get it and what it's about, I have a hard time putting this one down.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Help/Kathryn-Stockett/e/9780399155345

Wifey is going to read Nora Robert's "Wedding Quadriligy" Is that a word? HAHA!

awesome read-

now my question- when on a cruise how do you find the time to read A book let along 4?

I agree with The Help.. Great book.. Couldn't get into Water for Elephants AT All! Tried 3 times just didn't interest me!

Just finished Reading Book 1 of the Hunger Games.. finished it in a day.. have the other 2 books on order now!

How about Pirate Latitudes? The estate of Michael Crichton found a manuscript and had it finished. If you like his novels, you might as well read about one focusing on the Caribbean. It's a fluff story but that's what I love most on vacation!

awesome read-

now my question- when on a cruise how do you find the time to read A book let along 4?

I read 3.5 books on our last 7 day cruise. I am a quick reader and LOVE sitting in a lounge chair overlooking the ocean with a book.

I recommend The Help (awesome!) and The Hunger Games trilogy (I seriously could NOT put these books down last week. Soooo Good!)

How about Pirate Latitudes? The estate of Michael Crichton found a manuscript and had it finished. If you like his novels, you might as well read about one focusing on the Caribbean. It's a fluff story but that's what I love most on vacation!

I just finished Pirate Latitudes a few days ago; wasn't sure if I would like it but it was pretty entertaining and would make a fun summer movie.

Since I have seen James Patterson mentioned in here multiple times...

It seems like the only books he puts out, written just by him, are the Alex Cross series. (I buy all of those for my DW, along with his Women's Murder Club series)

Other than those, he puts out a different book every two to three weeks with a co-author.

Does he actually write any of those books, or just lets the co-writer write them, then edits a bit, slaps his name on it and both him and the co-writer make a huge chunk of change off of his name being on the cover?

Nobody can seriously crank out 20-30 books a year.

Been driving me crazy since he started doing it a few years ago.

Bill

I vote for the Stephanie Plum Novels by Janet Evonovich, Jennifer Weiner's "Good in Bed" (don't let title turn you off not a trashy romance)Alex Cross novels by James Patterson. " Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume. I love Jane Green books also.

For my upcoming cruise, I've got ready on my iPad The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson; Zero History by William Gibson; and possibly Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein. That's a lot of books, but the transatlantic cruise should give me a lot of time to read, and I will enjoy the downtime. :) I might order either Cruise Confidential or one of the "Shipboard Mystery" series by Conrad Allen for my DW, who enjoys reading water-related books while aboard.

I vote for the Stephanie Plum Novels by Janet Evonovich, Jennifer Weiner's "Good in Bed" (don't let title turn you off not a trashy romance)Alex Cross novels by James Patterson. " Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume. I love Jane Green books also.

I agree on Good In Bed -- SO good! The one that follows it is good to -- was it Certain Girls???

Loved Summer Sisters

Also for light summer reading, Elin Hilderbrand writes some good stuff. All set on Nantucket so good summer feel reads.

Still Summer is FANTASTIC too --

"From Publishers Weekly

Bestselling Mitchard offers the harrowing tale of four women lost at sea and pitted against nature and a cohort of contemporary pirates. Tracy, Holly and Olivia have known each other since high school, when they were glamorous, popular troublemakers. Twenty-five years after graduation, the three women, plus Tracy's 19-year-old daughter, Camille, set out on a "reading, sunning, gossiping" trip aboard a luxe sailboat helmed by a two-man crew. But a storm leaves the women adrift with no sail or engine and their co-captains gone overboard. With limited sailing experience, failing radio equipment and a rapidly diminishing cache of food and water, the women are vulnerable to the worst threats the Caribbean can offer—the elements, sharks and, most troublesome, pirates. This fast-paced novel borrows qualities from several genres—suspense, survival epic, coming-of-age—and mostly succeeds in melding the better aspects of each, though Mitchard has a surer hand in creating women characters than men. Mitchard's fans will appreciate this high-stakes adventure. (Aug.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. "

Archived